13mo can't eat lumpier or table foods

marshmallows

Hi mummies,

Greatly need some advise. My 13mo boy only eats pureed or very slightly lumpy/thicker food. Any further he would choke n gag to the point of projectile vomit. He has no interest in table food at all. He would either play with them or just throw them everywhere. He mouths his toys alot but once he tasted it's food, he would just throw it aside.

I've tried many times to progress him to finger foods or chunkier soft foods like baby pasta stars or soft rice but all I get is him chewing abit and then followed by gagging and vomiting everything out. Showed him how to chew but he only laughs and doesnt mimick my mouth movements. He can eat gerber puffs and baby bites but only if I put it in his mouth. He's not at all interested in eating it himself at all. And if I stuff too much puffs into his mouth, he gags too.

Other than this, his weight gain is fine and meeting his milestones normally. And he has like 10 or 11 teeth now. Any mummies faced this problem?

Last edited:

ast0212

Sorry no advice for you :( Maybe you can take your son to see a doctor or paediatrician and see what they say?

tania10

It seems he used to blended food . How about let him play with few rice when you take your dinner or lunch. And feed him one or two rice . It takes time to teach them. Dont worry much . My son also 13 months.

reneetang

Hi marshmallows,

My 13 month son same as your baby, I checked with my PD and she advised me to train him, but if is still not working, just relax and he will finally be able to eat like us after one year old. So now i just continue to blend everything for him, as it is really heart pain to see him vomit all the food and breast milk out:)

Regards,

Renee

marshmallows

Thanks for all the advise. That was what his pd said too, that baby still hasn't pick up the skill of chewing well.

However I read from Internet sources that it could be due to a sensory issue that babies can't get pass with handling lumpy food, and early intervention from a speech therapist might be required. Sigh. I intend to get a referral to KKH next month when he goes for his mmr jab. We'll see how it goes from there.

Last edited:

Jeannie86

Thanks for all the advise. That was what his pd said too, that baby still hasn't pick up the skill of chewing well.

However I read from Internet sources that it could be due to a sensory issue that babies can't get pass with handling lumpy food, and early intervention from a speech therapist might be required. Sigh. I intend to get a referral to KKH next month when he goes for his mmr jab. We'll see how it goes from there.
I think it is normal since he having puree food for too long.

From my source, they teach me to slowly increase the puree food thickness e.g. from 100% smooth grain rice puree to a quarter to half and finally to whole grain rice. The same to meat , veg, and fruit. By 8-10 month, baby should be able to eat half grain rice porridge with tiny pieces of meat and veg, and able to hold and bite fruit and biscuit by his own. My son is 8 month old and he is taking porridge whole grain rice with tiny pieces of meat and veg, he chew well even though he doesnt have a single tooth. But so far my son, he is not interested in finger food yet.

I think you didnt train your son this tatic at his 8-10 months bah...If so, it is not late to start now. Correct me if i am wrong. :)

marshmallows

I think it is normal since he having puree food for too long.

From my source, they teach me to slowly increase the puree food thickness e.g. from 100% smooth grain rice puree to a quarter to half and finally to whole grain rice. The same to meat , veg, and fruit. By 8-10 month, baby should be able to eat half grain rice porridge with tiny pieces of meat and veg, and able to hold and bite fruit and biscuit by his own. My son is 8 month old and he is taking porridge whole grain rice with tiny pieces of meat and veg, he chew well even though he doesnt have a single tooth. But so far my son, he is not interested in finger food yet.

I think you didnt train your son this tatic at his 8-10 months bah...If so, it is not late to start now. Correct me if i am wrong. :)
I did :)