18mths old son super sticky to grandma but not mummy! Pls help!!!

pinkDior

Hi all

My 18mths old boy has been taken care of by my mother-in-law for about 1 year +. Hubby and me do see him too after our work and about 2 mths ago, we bring him home everyday and we slept together to build our bonding.

However, son is getting increasingly sticky to my mother-in-law as she takes care of him from Mon - Fri, about 8am to 7pm. I have already placed him in childcare centre and today is his 2nd day in school. One of the reasons of placing him there is that I dun want him to be taken care by my mother-in-law already.

Despite the measures, son is still superglue to her. Whenever he sees her, he dun wan me. Only when she isn't around, then he glues to me. Somehow, I feel like a spare tyre.

I am very depressed about this. I love my son very much and it saddens me to see my son wanting grandma and not me.

Pls advise whether children will grow up, knowing mummy is mummy, and will be close to mummy when he grows older???

pyvio

I share the same experience. My "competitor" is the maid. Similar to you, I have decided to place my child in a childcare since my maid has decided to go home after completing her contract. Of now, I do not wish to engage another maid but I know I will be the maid and it is going to be very tiring, esp since I am a full time working mum. Now is still early intervention, so I hope it is still ok.

My friends have told me that not to worry, the child will know who's his/her mummy somehow. Kids are smart, they know who to go for what. Going to your mother-in-law is a source of comfort and I think it is still okay. The question is when you are without your mum-in-law around, does he still comes to you?