19mths and still sleeping with parents...

shinexuan

Hi mummies, my girl is coming to 19 mth and is still sleeping with us (hubby and myself) everynite. We realised that this is becoming a problem and need to stop it soon. but the thing is that her cot bed is in our room, so its very easy for us to bring her out of her bed to ours whenever she cries in the middle of the nite and thats how it becomes a bad habit now...

We have plans to let her sleep in her own bedroom however becos we oso have plans to shift to my in laws plc end of this yr... so i thot maybe we shld wait til we moved over to the new plc then start letting her sleep on her own room... however i am worried that by then its too late le... :(

So, shld i still let her sleep w us til we shift house or just let her sleep on her own in her own room? oh and she sleeps in AC room now (cos our room is AC-ed) but the other room is non AC... how ah? :err:

hi,

Reading your post made me guilty...haha! My going 22 months old gal also sleeps with us on our bed. I like it and though i realise we will have a problem putting her in her own room, i decided i'll face that issue when she's older.

We are also moving end of this year, and the new place even more cannot let her sleep in her own room as her bedroom will be upstairs as my MIL lives with me. So prob in a few years when she older

Ting

my daughter is 4.5 yo n she still co slps with me or my parents. we r moving out end of the mont but i only intend to let her slp in her own room when she is arnd 6-7 yo or when she is fully ready.

My 2yr old boy slps with me since he rejected his sarong when he was ard 6mths old. He wakes few times in the night to peep if im ard. If i m he wld just go back to slp. If im not he wld either go out of the room to look forward or just cry, depending on his mood.
Like Ting, No intention to 'train' him to slp wout me yet. Till he feels he is too old to slp with me or till he wants his own 'space'.

apollo

my son is 2yo and he is slping in the same room as us. he loves to co-sleep with us on the same bed but i seldom allow him doing so cos he fell down from the bed b4. but personally i dont think i will let him slp in his own room now, maybe when he is older like what Ting and happymummy07 said. cos i feel that they will only slp in the same room with us for a short few yrs. Dont think 10-15yrs later he will be willing to slp with us. but it depends on individual, some parents still prefer to let their kids to slp in their own room from young =)

Last edited:

megtan

My son is 18 months and sleeps with me. Since 8 months old, he rejected his cot so for ease of nursing, I got a super single bed and co-sleep with him. Our queen size bed is too small to accommodate the 3 of us. As he likes to turn and twist around in his sleep, I got a separate mattress to sleep on the floor when he was 15 months. Sometimes in the middle of the night he would wake up and come and squeeze with me on the floor. If he couldn't find me, he would go out of the room to look for me. I guess I will continue this arrangement till he's older to sleep on his own.

my son is 2yo and he is slping in the same room as us. he loves to co-sleep with us on the same bed but i seldom allow him doing so cos he fell down from the bed b4. but personally i dont think i will let him slp in his own room now, maybe when he is older like what Ting and happymummy07 said. cos i feel that they will only slp in the same room with us for a short few yrs. Dont think 10-15yrs later he will be willing to slp with us. but it depends on individual, some parents still prefer to let their kids to slp in their own room from young =)
Yeayea exactly!! The thing is, whatever the kids do now, it will only be for now. When we feed them, bath them, change them, slp with them, carry them etc etc. No pt 'forcing' them to grow up. They will grow up n not need u some day.
For me, i make sure he learns the skills, self-feeding, walking etc. But i still enjoy him being a baby, feeding carrying him alot etc. Last mth he just started reject me feed him milk. Insisted on lying dwn on bed drink himself. He drinks milk himself in sch, since like 7-8mths. So long i know he learnt the skill already, im happy enough. At least i had another one yr plus of moments carrying him in my arms feed him milk. Now i want feed he also dont want me feed. =((

shinexuan

hi,

Reading your post made me guilty...haha! My going 22 months old gal also sleeps with us on our bed. I like it and though i realise we will have a problem putting her in her own room, i decided i'll face that issue when she's older.

We are also moving end of this year, and the new place even more cannot let her sleep in her own room as her bedroom will be upstairs as my MIL lives with me. So prob in a few years when she older
Hi Kaykay2009,

ya lor... i thnk it will soon become a prb esp if they have siblings in future... i guess i really have to make certain arrangemts in order to kick away this bad habit... you add oil too ya! :)

shinexuan

my daughter is 4.5 yo n she still co slps with me or my parents. we r moving out end of the mont but i only intend to let her slp in her own room when she is arnd 6-7 yo or when she is fully ready.
Hi Ting,

Wouldnt it be too late? As in by then, will she be very sticky to you, ur hubby and parents too? Acty to me, i just find it inconvenient leh... hmm..

shinexuan

My 2yr old boy slps with me since he rejected his sarong when he was ard 6mths old. He wakes few times in the night to peep if im ard. If i m he wld just go back to slp. If im not he wld either go out of the room to look forward or just cry, depending on his mood.
Like Ting, No intention to 'train' him to slp wout me yet. Till he feels he is too old to slp with me or till he wants his own 'space'.
Hi happymummyo7,

For me, its also more to want to train her to be more independent. I have a fren who train her girl to start sleeping on her own at 10mths old. and now her girl who is only 1 mth older than mine, can alrdy sleep in the dark on her own without her mummy most of the time. and overall shes quite independent... in fact she doesnt behave like a 20mth old girl.. more like a 2yrs plus yr leh.. hahah.. how i wish my girl is oso like that! :p

shinexuan

HI apollo,

hmm... also true lah.. that 10 - 15 yrs ltr, they wun wanna sleep with us le... i guess i am one of those who prefer my kids to sleep in their own room. Okieokie... i am SOOO gonna train her to start sleeping on her own! all the best to me ya.. :p

shinexuan

My son is 18 months and sleeps with me. Since 8 months old, he rejected his cot so for ease of nursing, I got a super single bed and co-sleep with him. Our queen size bed is too small to accommodate the 3 of us. As he likes to turn and twist around in his sleep, I got a separate mattress to sleep on the floor when he was 15 months. Sometimes in the middle of the night he would wake up and come and squeeze with me on the floor. If he couldn't find me, he would go out of the room to look for me. I guess I will continue this arrangement till he's older to sleep on his own.
Hi megtan,

In fact my intention is to move her to her own room and get her a queen size bed.. becos she flip and flip and flip and turn and turn and turn everywhere, all angles when shes sleeping... once she suddenly sit up on her own in the middle of the nite and then aftr a while, she fell backwards while dozing off and hit straight into my hubby's nose.. cos my hubby has bad sinus infections since young and a surgery on his ose for the infection before.. so he is very sensitive to things coming near his nose.. and my DD just hit on his nose like dat.. he jumped up and kept scolding her man.. but DD alrdy went back to deep sleep by then and totally ignored him! hahahahha...

so i was saying that we wanna get a queen size bed for DD so that she turn and flip however she wants.. we oso intend to play another mattress below the bed, just in case she turn and falls off the bed.. kekek... I hope this works. :)

shinexuan

Yeayea exactly!! The thing is, whatever the kids do now, it will only be for now. When we feed them, bath them, change them, slp with them, carry them etc etc. No pt 'forcing' them to grow up. They will grow up n not need u some day.
For me, i make sure he learns the skills, self-feeding, walking etc. But i still enjoy him being a baby, feeding carrying him alot etc. Last mth he just started reject me feed him milk. Insisted on lying dwn on bed drink himself. He drinks milk himself in sch, since like 7-8mths. So long i know he learnt the skill already, im happy enough. At least i had another one yr plus of moments carrying him in my arms feed him milk. Now i want feed he also dont want me feed. =((
woah... agree agree... :p

Hi Kaykay2009,

ya lor... i thnk it will soon become a prb esp if they have siblings in future... i guess i really have to make certain arrangemts in order to kick away this bad habit... you add oil too ya! :)
Hi shinexuan,

Actually,i agree with what Apollo said. They will only want to sleep with s for a few years, next time you wanna sleep with them they will prob kick us away so i'm kind of guilty but i will not be in a hurry to let her sleep on her own.

I think she is actually ok to sleep on her own though cos everynight i will pat her to sleep on our bed then i will leave the room. She wakes up sometimes but she will just call for me, she won't cry even though she's in the dark.

shinexuan

Hi shinexuan,

Actually,i agree with what Apollo said. They will only want to sleep with s for a few years, next time you wanna sleep with them they will prob kick us away so i'm kind of guilty but i will not be in a hurry to let her sleep on her own.

I think she is actually ok to sleep on her own though cos everynight i will pat her to sleep on our bed then i will leave the room. She wakes up sometimes but she will just call for me, she won't cry even though she's in the dark.
HI kaykay2009,

hmmm ur method of putting ur child to bed is very similar to mine... but i will carry her to her cot bed aftr a while.. but she will still cry for me in the middle of the nite and so i nd to bring her out of her bed to place her bet my hubby n i le...

well... i thnk every parent has diff preferences... most imptly, its all for the good of our kids. :) Thks kaykay!

Ting

Hi Ting,

Wouldnt it be too late? As in by then, will she be very sticky to you, ur hubby and parents too? Acty to me, i just find it inconvenient leh... hmm..
erm nope. my daughter is not sticky to me to that extent. she is very independent and can watch TV or play her toys in the room by herself. she can go to bed without us slping next to her or in the room by herself too. but for me, i just feel that she is still too young to slp on her own. but to each of his own, everyone hv their own thinking. like what apollo mention, my daughter might not even wanna slp with me in another few yrs time. with regards to being independent, i dont think slping with ur parents make u dependent on them. from young, my girl has been very independent, so i dont see that as an issue. i love slping with her, watching her slp and snuggling up with her. its just something that i know i will miss when she grows up n wants to slp by her own. :)

Last edited:

shinexuan

erm nope. my daughter is not sticky to me to that extent. she is very independent and can watch TV or play her toys in the room by herself. she can go to bed without us slping next to her or in the room by herself too. but for me, i just feel that she is still too young to slp on her own. but to each of his own, everyone hv their own thinking. like what apollo mention, my daughter might not even wanna slp with me in another few yrs time. with regards to being independent, i dont think slping with ur parents make u dependent on them. from young, my girl has been very independent, so i dont see that as an issue. i love slping with her, watching her slp and snuggling up with her. its just something that i know i will miss when she grows up n wants to slp by her own. :)
Hi Ting,

Its true lah... give them few more yrs, they dun even wanna sleep with us le. Gotta treasure the time they spend with us now ya. Thks Ting! :)

apollo

my tonton also! LOL!!

My terrorist too~ he is 2 but behaves n talk like a 3-4 yr old. Its actually me who wanna treat him like a baby. =P
Also cos he attends full day childcare mon-fri 7am-7pm. So he is trained to b 'independent' since young. My time with him very limited. So personally, i prefer to cherish every moment i can have him as my lil baby.