1st month hair shave or trim

jiajia

Hi mummy, is it true that 1st month hair must trim or shave so that they will grow better? is it pan tang issue or scientific proven?

apollo

Not necessary to shave, i think is up to individual. I didnt shave ds's hair during his 1st mth, my parents and inlaws dont like the idea of shaving his hair during 1st mth as we all felt that his head was too soft for shaving. I did get his hair shaved when he turned 4 mth old due to the ugly cradle cap. Maybe You can consider to wait until your baby reach 4mth old b4 shaving? =)

shopaholic

Agree, it's up to you. I didnt shave my elder 2 kids as I like them with their soft baby hair. Although they didnt shave, their hair growth has always been good. But for my youngest, I did because he has curly hair, so I thought shave it off for a nicer boyish look. Now regrowth is kinda thin. Hmm.

Edwinie

i thought it's just a tradition. not sure if it is linked to any pantang things.

my in laws simply trim, like what they did to my husband and brother-in-law when they were 1 month old.

after trimming, the hair will merely become rough and not thicker. i read some research studies that hair will not grow thicker after cutting and it's a myth.

Mummy to Baby V

We didn't shave son at all (now he's 2 years old), couldn't find any proof that it'd thicken hair. Guess thick hair is from genes, like other physical features.

serenelm

we oso din shave our sons when they were 4 mths old... we oni shaved them at 1 yr old when my in-law kept nagging tat their hair were very little... but my hair's the thin n little type so i guess they took after me... so even after shaving, their hair oso din increase much... as for ds3, we oso shaved his hair but even till now (2+ yrs), his hair still very little (even worse than his elder bros)... so i feel tat shaving not much effect, unless the kid's parents hv thick hair genetically, then maybe it'll help their kids...

chrisgal

i didnt shave my son hair during his one month, only cut for the sake of cutting, just a little ... as bb head are soft , i dun like the idea of having all the hair off, as the head is very important, only until the 4th month, den i shave it off, but, i still leave a portion of head in his front part as to protect the front skull haha, my hubby and i both having thick hair, so his hair are thick as well, only think i realise is when we didnt shave off the hair for them during the first month, their bb hair will just keep falling off, and it's pretty normal, :D

My gal has got quite a fair bit of hair since birth. At 1 month, we just trim for the sake of the so called 'customs' though initially we challenged the elderly the significance and no one could tell us, ha!
Anyway, definitely not going to shave, will just continue to trim. My gal's hair has started to shed off, hmm

ast0212

My son's hair is very thick and grows really fast. He had his first trim at 4 months because he was often mistaken for a girl. I think it's in the genes.

Ting

there is no scientific prove that shaving the hair=thicker hair. scientifically NOT proven it will in fact. :)
i didnt shave, just trim a tiny bit for tradition issues.

Last edited:

joeybeadz

I agreed. I never shave my gal's hair in the first month. Thou now her hair is still thin, but at least I saw more hair now.