2 Year old Son still not talking.

Hi

Any mummies encounter the same issue that boys not talking even at 2 year old+? so far, mine only can call papa and say a few words.
Is this normal?
Any kind advice?

Jacelyn Diong

嗯,你是不是每次在他还没讲出口要什么的时候,你就帮他完成他要的东西呢?比如说,他yiyi eheh, 或用手指这个,指那个,你就如他所愿的拿给他了呢?

pinky80

When my son hits 2yrs old, he is like that too. But by 2.5yrs old, he suddenly can speak in sentences till we wanna ask him to shut up. My son is turning 3yrs old soon now. Don't worry too much. When your son is ready, he will give you surprises. But if after 3yrs old still don't speak much, then better seek doctor's advice.

lynnliew

When my son is 20 mths old he can only say papa/mama...den i gt worried & send him to playgroup for 2hrs everyday....@ 24 mths suddenly his vocab expanded & he can say words/sentences such as: xie xie ni (thank u) ,1 to 10 (both eng & chinese), cat,dog,names of fruits, mei mei,jiejie, gong gong, ah ma, shushu, gugu, bu yao(dunwan), gaigai, go out, fish, ball, spoon, all de features of de face, hands & legs... & can sing some songs. Playgroup seems to be really useful for my boy as his class is quite big (11 kids) hence i think he learn from de older kids too. Besides playgroup, you will need to talk to him more often, like counting the stairs when u walk up/down wif him or counting the number of scoops of milk powder everytime u prepare milk for him, watch babytv( can learn number 1 to 10 etc) & sing songs to him or just name the items/fruits etc whenever you wanna pass to him...or u can ask him 'what is this? oh this is a banana! see its yellow color...do u like to eat banana?"...keep repeating the key word...& he will get it. If he dunwan to talk, dun force him...just keep talking to him... & when the time is rite...soon he will talk... once he talk, he cant stop.

Last edited:

Sumanth

When my son is 20 mths old he can only say papa/mama...den i gt worried & send him to playgroup for 2hrs everyday....@ 24 mths suddenly his vocab expanded & he can say words/sentences such as: xie xie ni (thank u) ,1 to 10 (both eng & chinese), cat,dog,names of fruits, mei mei,jiejie, gong gong, ah ma, shushu, gugu, bu yao(dunwan), gaigai, go out, fish, ball, spoon, all de features of de face, hands & legs... & can sing some songs. Playgroup seems to be really useful for my boy as his class is quite big (11 kids) hence i think he learn from de older kids too. Besides playgroup, you will need to talk to him more often, like counting the stairs when u walk up/down wif him or counting the number of scoops of milk powder everytime u prepare milk for him, watch babytv( can learn number 1 to 10 etc) & sing songs to him or just name the items/fruits etc whenever you wanna pass to him...or u can ask him 'what is this? oh this is a banana! see its yellow color...do u like to eat banana?"...keep repeating the key word...& he will get it. If he dunwan to talk, dun force him...just keep talking to him... & when the time is rite...soon he will talk... once he talk, he cant stop.
Yes you are right..Repeating words has tremendous effect on baby..

summertime

Hi
my son is currently 26 mth, he only say a few words and it not consistant. We did went for kkh therapist but told us to wait another 6 mths. I'm really getting upset with his speech. Calling mama and papa also not consistant. He only babbles a lot recently start to imitates word (not Everytime ) . To be frank , Im so upset with his progress that I will scold him end up he cry couldn't follow the receptive instructions. It like that all other domain he is ok but words and instruction still not like a 2 yrs old toddler. I really feel stuck don't know what to do with him .

Lostkitty

Hi

Well my girl is 22 mths now and she will only speaks: Pa Pa, Ma Ma, Po Po, Number 8 in chinese. Somehow I can heard her saying "Xie" whenever she bring water bottle to me, I will speaks " Xie Xie " to her. I also teach her english and chinese number almost every day and somehow she seems to be saying number 1 & 2 in chinese. Perhaps like all othe mummies were saying, have to keep repeating the same word and number every day until she absorb. I'm also worried but I take it naturally. No use rushing her.

hi mummies

my son is 20 months and he is still not talking alot of words too. the worrying thing is he cant seem to associate people with names. he knows but wont speak. eg he knows who is papa mama yeye nai nai but when he sees our photos he only eh eh eh. However he can say words of objects like ball bird nen nen (milk) hua (flower) bear bu yao bao bao sometimes shoes bus etc. just not calling people. wonder is it a form of speech problem?

he used to say mama and papa when he was younger but not frequent. now we ask him to say he just dont want. anyway he is going cc next month hope will improve.