20 Weeks Detailed Scan (worried)

felicious

hi all mummy,

i'm just done my detailed scan last wednesday, doc told me that my scan was ok, except that my baby neck skin is slightly thicker then average.

average/normal baby will have their neck skin measure at 6mm but my baby measure 6.2mm.

usually doctor will determine baby with down syndrome through their neck skin.

i'm a bit worried, but i did, did the test for down syndrome during my 12 weeks of pregnancy. the result was ok (1:7000), consider low risk cos i'm only 29 yrs old.

i try to search for some information for down syndrome, but all i can find is the 11 - 14 week scans (down syndrome test).

i'm so loss... dont't know what to do.

Should i seek for another doctor for advise???

pipilili

Dun worry so much...only .2, if the results is bad, the doc will tell you immediately or you will need to go for further tests. So if no further tests is conducted, you are safe.

felicious

thanks for the replied.

i've check with other gynaes, they said that they don't measure the neck skin at 20 weeks.

however, KK said that a normal measurement will not exceed 6mm.

really very loss... :(

pixie

Hi Felicious,

I came across an article somewhere on the internet that said the Nuchal fold test (measurement at the fluid-filled area behind the foetus's neck) should be conducted between 11-13 weeks but not conducted after that duration because growth rate of each baby differs (babies that grow faster, naturally will have bigger head, body and thickness of their neck) thereafter.

Don't fret over what your gynae has told you. I am sure you will have a healthy baby. Take care :)

Hi Felicious,

yeah, a little odd that the nuchal translucency thingy was measured at 20 weeks. this is usually to complement the other complements of the OSCAR or first trimester screening for abnormalities. 20 weeks - the features are more defined so they look at other stuff. My daughter's nasal bone was not seen at 11 weeks and also nuchal translucency measurement was a little on the thicker end. we went to this other doc at TMC who is probably the expert in OSCAR screening about over a week later and he assured us the nasal bone - by then - was visible and the nuchal translucency measurement was fine. but i can totally understand the anxiety you are feeling. also, the results of the nuchal translucency are to be considered in tandem with the other components of the screening test. you would not be able to carry out an amniocentesis at this stage (it was not an option we would have considered since we would keep the baby regardless), but you can check with the doctor the options available to you in terms of determining the health of the baby. Stay positive in the meantime :)

felicious

thanks pixie / dujuanrosa for sharing.

anyway i've opt for a 2nd scan to double confirm the skin thinkness, sad :tsad:... is thicker this time measuring at 7.7mm.

therefore, me and hub had opt for amnio test.

did the process on monday (7 Feb) have to wait for 2 weeks in order to get the result.

this 2 weeks is going to be a long long week....

thanks pixie / dujuanrosa for sharing.

anyway i've opt for a 2nd scan to double confirm the skin thinkness, sad :tsad:... is thicker this time measuring at 7.7mm.

therefore, me and hub had opt for amnio test.

did the process on monday (7 Feb) have to wait for 2 weeks in order to get the result.

this 2 weeks is going to be a long long week....
i can share with the anxiety you feel since i went through a period of uncertainty ourselves - although we didn't do the amniocentesis. Stay positive and don't think too much on it. the results will come when they should. meantime, keep talking with your husband. the mutual support we got from each other was what kept my husband and i up during the period of time.

take care and don't lose too much sleep over it. there'll always be solutions to problems in life

Depleted

what im worried is i didnt turn up for my 12 weeks scan so they only have the 23 weeks one on hand . at 23weeks it measured at 7.3 cm. i am so worried because i have not had the other tests done as i am only 18 and initially i didnt see a need in it. they scheduled me for a normal growth ultrasound at 3rd oct which is in anotherr 5 weeks test which is why the anxiety is building up in me . no tests were offered currently :(

maneo0302

what im worried is i didnt turn up for my 12 weeks scan so they only have the 23 weeks one on hand . at 23weeks it measured at 7.3 cm. i am so worried because i have not had the other tests done as i am only 18 and initially i didnt see a need in it. they scheduled me for a normal growth ultrasound at 3rd oct which is in anotherr 5 weeks test which is why the anxiety is building up in me . no tests were offered currently :(
U can't do much worrying. Relax. Things will turn out right k?

Depleted

you can't do much worrying. Relax. Things will turn out right k?

i cant help but worry. tbh FOB is a persistent drug user since 2005, and i used to do drugs for a few month stopped about a month before conception please do not judge, and we both are both smokers.

missyqiqi

normally the doctor will send you for another round of 2nd test if they show any abnormalities maybe u might want to check with ur gynae but if u can't wait then u can seek 2nd opinion from another doctor, but they will also ask u to repeat the sma e test again to rule out or double confirm.

another thing is maybe both of u try to quit smoking, especially for urself if ur the other half doesn't want to quit, coz for mother who is smokers the baby will tend to be underweight and also other underlying medical issues.

Depleted

i declined the amnio test because i am alr in 24th week. that is the last timing for termination and i dont want to risk miscarriage in this case. i seek second opinion from dr hii at khatib le. he say as he look bb is fine, but the only way to confirm is amnio. dont knw who to trust :(