21 mths DS wake up in the middle of night

Dear mummies:
My dear son is coming to 2 yrs old but he still cannot sleep thru the night.
Usually he will wake up 2 times at night. I will give him water and coax him to sleep.He flip left and right and then sleep in a short while.
Once for a while, like every 2 to 3 mths, he will wake up & cry loudly. Then I carry him, coax him, give him water/milk and even turn on the VCD to let him watch cartoon. But all need to take some time, he cry for a while then slowly back to sleep.
Lately, he woke up and cried loudly two consecutive nights. I tot it might be caused by teething coz he had it before when he was 11 mths. But I gave him teething gel , he still cried. Someone told me nightmare could be the reason.
I really don’t know what is the real reason as many ppls told me his age should be able to sleep thru the night. I am wondering if he try to express sth as he cant talk yet so cry loudly but I am totally clueless. So sad….:tsad:
Pls help, mummies…

apollo

Crying loudly could be over stimulate. Dont let him play too much and watch too much tv few hrs b4 bedtime. and if he wakes up w.o crying, only want attention, just let him be. dont give in by turning on the tv or play with him. Last time my son often wake up at night too, but just for attention. We told him to go back to slp and ignore him. and usually he will slp back within 5 min. After sometime, he stop waking up every night.

ling.er

My DS had this problem waking up @ night as well.. Mostly i will pat & swing him awhile.. If 10min later he still toss & make noise i will give him water. SOmetime he went back slp after it.. If not i will give 3-4Oz of milk ~~!!! & conti pat his butt & swing him.... He will get back to him after awhile..

As wat Apollo Mummy was saying.. mayb b4 bedtime play too much / laugh too much then he having nighmare... Or mayb due to the weather. Check weather he is too cold or too hot.. Or mayb tummy had wind...

tks. Apollo & Ling.Er mummies. I will try the tips for sleep training
Think we have to stop to let him watch cartoon at night~~