2months old baby drinking lesser milk

lilcactus

My girl used to drink 90ml milk every 3 hours. Then at about 6-7week, she can finish 120ml of milk. But lately (about 2months old) she hasn't been able to finish her milk, sometimes drink 90ml or even less. And she has been able to sleep longer, so she can sleep for 4hours without waking up and hungry for milk. I'm worried that she isn't drinking enough. Should I be concerned?

jxmummy

My girl used to drink 90ml milk every 3 hours. Then at about 6-7week, she can finish 120ml of milk. But lately (about 2months old) she hasn't been able to finish her milk, sometimes drink 90ml or even less. And she has been able to sleep longer, so she can sleep for 4hours without waking up and hungry for milk. I'm worried that she isn't drinking enough. Should I be concerned?
i think it's fine, she will cry for milk if she's hungry =) sleep longer is good, so you also can have ample time to rest too!

diymummy

Hi lilcactus,

Have you tried totalling up the milk she drinks a day and compare it to last time?

Being able to sleep longer might also be a sign for you to start training her to sleep through the night.

My baby was able to sleep thru at 3 mths and I noticed that he wanted to sleep for longer periods. So I played with him more in the day to tire him and let him sleep at night.

To let the baby sleep through, you must make sure that she has enough milk throughout the day. My PD gave me a simple formula to use for babies who're on an all-milk diet.

Take her weight, multiply by 150ml for the lower limit
Take her weight, multiply by 200ml for the upper limit

As long as she is drinking between the lower and upper limit in 1 day, she is having enough. You can distribute the amt over the day time so that she can sleep for longer at a stretch at night.

My baby at 2 mths was on 6 feeds, starting at 5am and ending at 8pm, 3 hourly.

Babies who're unwell will also drink less. Do look out for signs if your baby is unwell, eg stuffy nose or cough or even constipation.

adelynn

Hi lilcactus,

To let the baby sleep through, you must make sure that she has enough milk throughout the day. My pediatrician gave me a simple formula to use for babies who're on an all-milk diet.

Take her weight, multiply by 150ml for the lower limit
Take her weight, multiply by 200ml for the upper limit
Hi

Would like to clarify on how to calculate the baby's upper & lower limit...
When you say take her weight, you are referring to KG or grams?

say for example, the baby's 2.9KG.
Lower Limit = 2.9 x 150ML = 435 ML
Upper Limit = 2.9 x 200ML = 580ML
And this is for over a period of a day?

Am i calculating it correctly?

lilcactus

Hi diymummy, thanks for your advice. But I'm not sure her current weight. I only know her actual weight at 1month, cos she went for her checkup that time.
I read somewhere that we shouldn't let babies go without her feed and sleep longer than 4hours in the day, so I will wake her up for milk if she is still sleeping. is this correct?
she doesn't seem unwell though.

diymummy

Hi

Would like to clarify on how to calculate the baby's upper & lower limit...
When you say take her weight, you are referring to KG or grams?

say for example, the baby's 2.9KG.
Lower Limit = 2.9 x 150ML = 435 ML
Upper Limit = 2.9 x 200ML = 580ML
And this is for over a period of a day?

Am i calculating it correctly?
Hi Adelynn,

Yes you calculated correctly. Calculate in KG.

So if your baby is drinking between 435ml and 580ml, she's having enough milk. :) And yes, it's for one day.

Last edited:

diymummy

Hi diymummy, thanks for your advice. But I'm not sure her current weight. I only know her actual weight at 1month, cos she went for her checkup that time.
I read somewhere that we shouldn't let babies go without her feed and sleep longer than 4hours in the day, so I will wake her up for milk if she is still sleeping. is this correct?
she doesn't seem unwell though.
Hi lilcactus,

Yes you read correctly. Not advisable for babies to drag too long between feeds in the day. I usually wake my baby up for feeds in the day. At night is ok to drag if she has enough in the day.

My baby is on routine feeding. Some mummies here prefer a feed-on-demand approach. Both methods are ok as long as your baby is feeding well. I personally prefere routine feeding because my baby became predictable and easier for me to control his feeds and amount. I was alone during M leave so I will go nuts if I fed on demand.

Do you have a weighing machine at home? You can weigh yourself, then weigh yourself carrying your baby, then subtract. You will get an approximate weight. Think at 2 mths your baby should be due for another jab?? Can take the chance to see her weight at the doc's :)

lilcactus

Hi diymummy,

Yup, mine also on routine feeding cos I also taking care of my bb alone. From the calculation method you taught, my baby is not drinking enough. Any solution to make her drink more for each feed? For her feed at 2.30pm just now, I tried to keep the tv sounds on and keep talking to her to make her stay awake. But the most she can drink is 120ml.

No leh, her next jab is when she's 3 months old. But I will try to pass by my PD to borrow her weighing machine haha

diymummy

How many days have her appetite been affected? Sometimes their appetite drop for a while and then increases again by a lot.

That time my baby had a little bit of reflux problem and he is always very bloated. So I had to burp him a few times in between feeds before he could drink more. Sometimes I would let him rest for 5 min before continuing because reflux is painful for him.

diymummy

Maybe the colic is back? Using colic drops? Maybe give her another 2-3days... See how she fares... :)

How much lesser than the lower limit is she drinking?

lilcactus

i can't give you an exact amount, as I do not know her current weight to estimate her lower limit. Yup, think I'll monitor her and see how it goes. Thanks so much, diymummy! Maybe I can PM you if I have other doubts? Hee

diymummy

No problem lilcactus. :) Can understand how you feel. That time also so worried over my baby.

Can PM me any time. :)

littlesheep

Hi,

May i know which volume of the FM do you take into consideration?
Before or after putting the milk powder? E.g. 120ml water...after milk powder, it becomes 140ml. So we should take it as they drink 120ml or 140ml??

My girl also drinking lesser milk and the interval can stretch til 4hrs instead of 3hrs..Always fall asleep while drinking.
Sometimes her no. of feeds per day become 6..if so, she is not drinking enough for the day based on the calcuation.

Last edited:

diymummy

Usually for me FM + water = 120ml. I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way but I've always been doing it this way.

When my baby fall asleep during feeding, I will wake him gently to finish up his milk before letting him go back to bed.

My baby was also very sleeping in the first 2 mths.

littlesheep

Usually for me FM + water = 120ml. I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way but I've always been doing it this way.

When my baby fall asleep during feeding, I will wake him gently to finish up his milk before letting him go back to bed.

My baby was also very sleeping in the first 2 mths.
no matter how hard i try, my girl wont wake up to finish the balance.
Unless she poos during the feed, she will be awake to finish after changing her. :S

diymummy

I also change diapers for my son to wake him up. Haha. Sometimes the diaper is still not soiled but I will still change. Just to wake him up.

Ting

imo, babies intake of milk goes up n down.
just monitor her daily intake n see if it is still decreasing gradually or it is at the same amt daily.
maybe now at 2 mths she is drinking lesser, but her intake might shoot up again in a couple of weeks.
i think it is quite common.
when pin was an infant, though she takes in alot of milk daily, it also goes up n down.
n bcos she drinks alot of milk daily, the difference is pretty significant when she is not.
to me, since she is slping, then i wont wake her up to disrupt her nap for milk, cos she will auto wake up to drink milk when she is hungry.
when she is slping, she is growing,n i think babies will get cranky if they r woken up.
how would u feel if u r slping n your mum wake u up to eat?

hv u tried dream-feeding(i think this shld be the term)??
meaning when she is slping, try to feed her n see if she drinks.
amazingly, many babies can drink while they slp..

meiteoh

Dunno about you gals but Eva never had a big appetite and even now at 6 mths, she self-regulates her intake pretty well. It started when she was around 2.5 months whereby she would latch on for shorter periods (5 minutes tops!). I used to worry if she was taking in enough so I kept up the night feeds aka dream feeds.

But at 4.5 mths, she was still doing that and putting on weight, happy as a bee and all so I figured that she could just be regulating herself. In fact, if she's full and I try to feed her more, she'll shove me away! So I took out the dream feed - she's still happy. :p

Always check their diaper count, weight and how they are activity-wise - if it's all good, you have nothing to worry about. :)

mi_dun_noe

Alpha Male
Hi

My Baby Boy also drinking lesser milk when reaching 2 months old. Currently still facing this problem. Last time he can drink 120ml but now he only drink 60ml to 80ml. Sometimes worst, he drink less than 40ml after waking up from a 3 hrs sleep. I am worry too. He keep using his tongue to push away the milk bottle teat.

And sometimes after drink 60ml or lesser, he keep crying. I put him to sleep however he does not wants to sleep at all.

Any mummies facing this problem too?especially baby who is 2 mths old.

Any advices,pls?