2nd baby

AgnesKX

Will you want to have 2nd child if your husband is a diabetes?
(Recently get to know, so 1st child is safe)
:tconfused:

AgnesKX

Not only the issue of husband health but baby will heredity from him.
Diabetes is incurable. You can only control by medication for life time.
When baby grown up, he/she will probably become diabetes.
This is the fact, Carisella.

gumbokins

Well, yes, diabetes is genetic but if you yourself have no family history of diabetes, it is highly unlikely that your children will develop diabetes.

Diabetes is not curable, yes, but it can be controlled and managed by medication and changes in lifestyle. Many people with diabetes go on to lead normal lives.

Do talk it out with your hubby, voice out your concerns to him. My in-laws are diabetics and my FIL is always reminding me to watch my husband's diet.

AgnesKX

Thanks for your advice and let me know your story too.
At the first place, we wanted to have 2nd child after seeing our 1st child so lovely. Then we get to know this heart breaking news. My husband is not heredity from his family. Both our parents got no issued. My husband had it due to poor eating habit. Once he on medication and diet (very healthy eating), he stopped thinking of having 2nd child. He afraid the child will suffer like him. Unable to enjoy live freely.
Im not sure. Doubting...

gumbokins

Maybe during his next check up you can ask the doctor about it? Good to get professional opinion on the matter :)

Amulet

Thanks for your advice and let me know your story too.
At the first place, we wanted to have 2nd child after seeing our 1st child so lovely. Then we get to know this heart breaking news. My husband is not heredity from his family. Both our parents got no issued. My husband had it due to poor eating habit. Once he on medication and diet (very healthy eating), he stopped thinking of having 2nd child. He afraid the child will suffer like him. Unable to enjoy live freely.
Im not sure. Doubting...
since his diabetes is not heredity, i think the chances of ur child getting diabetes in future should be really low as long as keep a healthy diet n lifestyle..

gumbokins

Actually I think both type 1 and type 2 diabetes hv genetic links, but late onset adult diabetes is usually triggered by environment e.g poor eating habits.

AgnesKX

since his diabetes is not heredity, i think the chances of your child getting diabetes in future should be really low as long as keep a healthy diet n lifestyle..[/QUOTE]

Yes, for our generation is not heredity but our baby is consider heredity. This is what we worried about. We can't guaranteed that the baby will become diabetes once born or later (grown up). That's why i said confused n risky. some sort of betting.
Haha! I told my husb exactly what u said too. "As long as keep a healthy diet n lifestyle" shouldn't be a problem. You know what my husb replied? He said "so much good food out there and how you know child can control diet or not?"
I totally agreed with gumbokins.

Carisella

since his diabetes is not heredity, i think the chances of your child getting diabetes in future should be really low as long as keep a healthy diet n lifestyle..
Yes, for our generation is not heredity but our baby is consider heredity. This is what we worried about. We can't guaranteed that the baby will become diabetes once born or later (grown up). That's why i said confused n risky. some sort of betting.
Haha! I told my husb exactly what u said too. "As long as keep a healthy diet n lifestyle" shouldn't be a problem. You know what my husb replied? He said "so much good food out there and how you know child can control diet or not?"
I totally agreed with gumbokins.[/QUOTE]

since you're already so against the idea of having a baby with diabetic.. what are u so headache about? My dad was a diabetic when he had 3 daughters..out of the 3 only I got diabetes.. so if u're dead sure ur second one will confirm have diabetes.. i bet to differ.. yes, no doubt genes play a part.. but there are known cases of both parents not having diabetes but baby born diabetic ..

If you really keen on getting a second one.. i suggest you go read up, or talk to ur husband's diabetic doctor.. otherwise, this thread is pointless to begin with..
Once and for all, Diabetics are also human.. some chose this road themselves (type 2 - unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits), some have no choice (type 1 - hereditary)

gumbokins

Personally, for me, it's not just the health status of the child to be worried about, but also whether my husband would be around? A lot of 'what ifs'...

xicloudix

u can't be sure if ur 1st child would be diabetic also or not...

My dad did not have diabetics when he had me.... he had it after I was born abt few yrs old already...

BUT i am still consider high risk of getting diabetics and true enough, during my pregnancy i was ask to take the test and tested that i have gestattional diabetics...

so for not 1st or 2nd child u also can't confirm if have or not in future, coz its in the genes... doc tells me... sometimes it dun happen to the next generation, but would skip generation... so if have to keep worrying abt it, then u have to worry abt ur grandchildren too....

I feel that as long as u set a healty diet for ur family, it should be ok...

AgnesKX

you can't be sure if your 1st child would be diabetic also or not...

My dad did not have diabetics when he had me.... he had it after I was born about few yrs old already...

BUT i am still consider high risk of getting diabetics and true enough, during my pregnancy i was ask to take the test and tested that i have gestattional diabetics...

so for not 1st or 2nd child you also can't confirm if have or not in future, coz its in the genes... doc tells me... sometimes it dont happen to the next generation, but would skip generation... so if have to keep worrying about it, then you have to worry about your grandchildren too....

I feel that as long as you set a healty diet for your family, it should be ok...

Thanks for sharing!!