7 mth old baby sleeping pattern

jo_mum

Hi, my 7 mth old baby have difficulty going to sleep. He sleeps in a yao lan but I still have to pat him to sleep with him inside for a long time. He can sleep through the night (abt 10 hrs) but he can't seem to nap long in the afternoon. Usually I will put him to sleep about 3 times during the day but each time he napped less than an hour. most of the time only nap for half an hour then wake up already. He does nap for longer hours occasionally but that seldom happens. I think he is not getting enough sleep coz he is always very cranky during the day but I just can't get him to sleep longer. How do I make my baby sleep longer in the day?

Ting

is your surrounding too distracting?
like, loud noises, kids running abt etc.
at this age they r exploring their surroundings alot, so he might be too distracted to fall aslp n he might wanna play with u..
n r the nap time fixed hrs? babies tend to nap better if their nap time r fixed at certain hours.

apollo

ds also!! he nap few times a day. aft every feed. but each time wont last more than 30min!!! any solutions? =(

Ting

i read up somewhere b4 that babies napping times ranges from as lil as 20 mins up to 2-3 hrs each time.
so does slping hrs. some only slp for 9 hrs, some can go up to 18 hrs daily..
i think as long as he gets enough rest n is not fussing or cranky, it shld be ok..
pin used to slp alot when she was a infant, but now, she slps very little..

jo_mum

is your surrounding too distracting?
like, loud noises, kids running about etc.
at this age they are exploring their surroundings alot, so he might be too distracted to fall aslp n he might wanna play with you..
n are the nap time fixed hours? babies tend to nap better if their nap time are fixed at certain hours.
My surrounding is not distracting at all, coz only me and baby alone at home. But I do agree that he might be distracted by the surroundings coz he is a kapo baby and like to see everything around him, even when sleep inside sarong also look through the holes and refuse to close his eyes. I usually fix his nap time at certain hours every day, but everytime I still have a hard time putting him to slp. Even if sleep also not that long, that's why I don't have time to eat or do my thing also. Very tiring......

Ting

hmm, how abt your neighbours? as in, r there any construction gg on, kids running, neighbourhood too noisy??
or totally quiet in the day time?
i would suggest u be persistent in making him slp..
but if he doesnt nap long, i would think nth much u can do.
what other things do u need to do? hsewrk??
as of eating, maybe u can put him somewhere near u, in a rocker or walker or mattress nearby, so u can eat n watch him at the same time.
as of hsewrk, maybe u rearrange the timing...

klearad

Hi Jo mum, I have a 8mth old daughter. She nap between 20mins to 2hours, nap at least 3 times a day. However, she dont sleep throughout the night.

Maybe you can try to let your bb son play a lot (ie. carry him walk or let him walk in a walker, play with him, let him crawl). After which, baby will be tired and will be better to nap longer. Sometimes, when my bb gal is too hyper, I will bring her to library or just walk around.

Most of the times, not able to do housework. I do most of the housework either early in the morning or at night when hubby is back. As long as the house is not messy, its good enough for me ;) A happy mess is better than miserable tidiness.