7mth old baby cough and running nose

woofy55

How long normally does cold bug stays around babies? Louis has been down with cold since last Sunday. He shows signs of recovery 3days ago, but suddenly cough very bad again and now with running nose. :(

What do I have to look out for and what shd I do to reduce his pain..? :( He also spread the cold bugs to me and my hubby is handling him most of the time now.

apollo

How long normally does cold bug stays around babies? Louis has been down with cold since last Sunday. He shows signs of recovery 3days ago, but suddenly cough very bad again and now with running nose. :(

What do I have to look out for and what should I do to reduce his pain..? :( He also spread the cold bugs to me and my hubby is handling him most of the time now.
did u bring him to doc? usually for flu, it takes ard 1 week to recover. if aft taking medi for ard 3days, haven see improvement is okay, just continue with the medication but if the condition worsen, i think shd bring bk to the doc and let the doc check again.

as for cough, it will only fully recover ard 1-2 weeks, cough takes abit more time to fully recover. esp the phelgm due to cough, you can expect at least ANOTHER 1-2 weeks AFTER the cough recovers.

in the meantime, i suggest u and ur hubby take turn to rest. few mths ago ds also passed his virus to us and we had a hard time taking care him. if possible, get someone in the hse or ur parents to help u with him while u and ur hubby can rest more and also recover faster =)

lila

What do I have to look out for and what should I do to reduce his pain..? :( He also spread the cold bugs to me and my hubby is handling him most of the time now.

Hi,
my girl have a cold + running nose+ cough for 3 days.

agree with Apollo, take a rest n take someone else to take care baby,
i hope ur baby getting well soon :D

diymummy

Was your son on antibiotics? If he is, it shouldn't worsen. If he isn't, it might be good to bring him back to the doctor to ask for some.

Usually a bad bout of cough does take abt a week or two to clear off. You can cup your hand and pat his back as well as his chest for abt 10 minutes to loosen the phlegm so that he will be able to cough out the phlegm.

Hydrating him also works. Other than that, lots of rest for all of you is the best way to allow your body to fight the bug.

Summer01

Dear all, I wish to share my experience as well. My 7mths old baby is currently sick too, already 1 week plus. He is down with fever, runny nose and cough. Visited pediatrician for 2 times. Worst thing is he has just recovered fr stomach flu. It is really sad to see such young life suffer and being his mummy, can't do much. There was one morning I had to feed him 5 types of medicine : antibiotic, cough, flu, fever and asthma syrup. He wails whenever sees the feeding syringe now. Like what other mummies mentioned, it takes long time for sickness like cough to get well. Not sure how he fell sick, been drinking breast milk till now. Really feel lousy to see son lost appetite and weight. Still continuing his medic n hopes he gets well soon. ....

apollo

Dear all, I wish to share my experience as well. My 7mths old baby is currently sick too, already 1 week plus. He is down with fever, runny nose and cough. Visited pediatrician for 2 times. Worst thing is he has just recovered fr stomach flu. It is really sad to see such young life suffer and being his mummy, can't do much. There was one morning I had to feed him 5 types of medicine : antibiotic, cough, flu, fever and asthma syrup. He wails whenever sees the feeding syringe now. Like what other mummies mentioned, it takes long time for sickness like cough to get well. Not sure how he fell sick, been drinking breast milk till now. Really feel lousy to see son lost appetite and weight. Still continuing his medic n hopes he gets well soon. ....
dun feel upset.. i think every baby will go thru this stage. when ds was btwn 2-5 mths old, he keep falling ill. used to visit pd 3x per week. aft his bronchitis recover, it comes bk again 1-2 weeks later.. continue all the way till he was 5mth old. but his pd didnt prescribe him any antibiotics though.

Summer01

Hi apollo, thanks for sharing. Was very worried about the medication esp antibiotic. But if dont't let him take even more worried will make things worst. Nite time he kept turning to left and right and breathe through mouth. Now his semi solid food also interrupted as he had 3 bowel movements everyday since sick. Someday once though. He used to have one every other day. Buttock red red. dont't dare to give fruits too. ..

apollo

Hi apollo, thanks for sharing. Was very worried about the medication esp antibiotic. But if dont't let him take even more worried will make things worst. Nite time he kept turning to left and right and breathe through mouth. Now his semi solid food also interrupted as he had 3 bowel movements everyday since sick. Someday once though. He used to have one every other day. Buttock red red. dont't dare to give fruits too. ..
since he is on antibiotics, he might poo more. some will have 'diarrhoea'.. even adults taking antibiotics will encounter such pro. rmb to apply nappy cream for him aft every diaper change. Desitin us very good, u can try. can he still drink his milk? if he can suckle his milk well, shd be okay though he breathe thru mouth. for the time being, dun on aircon for him. =)

honestly speaking, i personally really dun lik the idea of giving antibiotic to babies. but afterall, every baby situation is diffe, some might really nd? when ds was 1st fell ill with bronchitis, he was ard 2mth old and we brought him to a 'neighbourhood' pd, though under same company with his pd, he prescribed ds with antibiotics. aft 1 week, not only didnt recover but worsen. so we brought him bk to hospital to see his pd. and i was shocked when his pd told me actu ds dont have to take antibiotics! in fact, all the way till 5mth old though he kept fall ill, same thing, same symptoms but no antibiotic was given anymore, still can get his sickness cured..

just my humble 2 cents worth =)

xue

dont feel upset.. i think every baby will go thru this stage. when dear son was btwn 2-5 mths old, he keep falling ill. used to visit pediatrician 3x per week. after his bronchitis recover, it comes back again 1-2 weeks later.. continue all the way till he was 5mth old. but his pediatrician didnt prescribe him any antibiotics though.
Same! my girl has been ill since 2mth old until recently just recover!! Had been visiting the pd every wk!! Even my 30mth old boy took quite some time to recover..especially cough!! can take up to a mth at times..

diymummy

Yes, certain antibiotics will cause runny stools. If this happens, call your doctor and he will advise you to lower the dosage.

The antibiotic Augmentin is a common antibiotic prescribed and this may cause runny stools in some children.

Summer01

Hi apollo, now I know taking antibiotic can cause diarrhoea....maybe his frequent bm explain it! Previous suspect was his stomach flu come back. His milk intake drop to below 100ml ea feed. But 2 hrs then make noise for another feed, so still ok. He quite small drinker. Now no more on air con at night, next morning he'll sweat like wat. .. these few days rainy days so not so bad. Alamak! Mil brought him to c neighborhood pd too. Not say neighborhood no good la but more convenient for mil.

Diymummy, am not sure wat type of antibiotic son taking , will check it out when go hm.

Xue, u must be worrying how cm baby always fall sick! Not to mention the medic bills. ...

Sigh. ... our time where got so young fall sick so often n visit doctor too? Babies nowadays like so fragile...

Ting

Same! my girl has been ill since 2mth old until recently just recover!! Had been visiting the pediatrician every wk!! Even my 30mth old boy took quite some time to recover..especially cough!! can take up to a month at times..
i used to hv this prob with pin, her cough nvr seems to get well(always on n off). then i brought her to a chinese sinseh n she advised me to watch her diet. i kept her off chicken n eggs for almost 2 weeks (just give a bit) n she showed a significant improvement. n of cos, i reduced her unhealthy snacks n cold drinks. :)
now, each time i hear a cough brewing, i try to reduce her intake of chicken n eggs n cold drinks n snacks and make her down more water.

Reactions: xue

apollo

Hi apollo, now I know taking antibiotic can cause diarrhoea....maybe his frequent breast milk explain it! Previous suspect was his stomach flu come back. His milk intake drop to below 100ml ea feed. But 2 hours then make noise for another feed, so still ok. He quite small drinker. Now no more on air con at night, next morning he'll sweat like what. .. these few days rainy days so not so bad. Alamak! mother in law brought him to c neighborhood pediatrician too. Not say neighborhood no good but more convenient for mother in law.

Diymummy, am not sure what type of antibiotic son taking , will check it out when go hm.

Xue, you must be worrying how cm baby always fall sick! Not to mention the medic bills. ...

Sigh. ... our time where got so young fall sick so often n visit doctor too? Babies nowadays like so fragile...
i think as long as the doc is good at treating babies/kids, it doesnt matter is from neighbourhood anot. in fact most pd from neighbour, actu goes to hospital to see their lil patients too.

woofy55

hvn't been visiting the forum. thanks for all the posts and suggestions. louis recovered from his cough 3wks ago, but came back again last week.

apollo mummy - louis is said to have bronchitis cough too, cos he wheezed. Haiz. And doctor say not to scare me, but it has been 2 episodes and most likely will turn asthmatic. I am worried. What should i take note of to prevent him from having cough again. I really scared it's my ignorance and negligence that made him suffer. :(

apollo

hvn't been visiting the forum. thanks for all the posts and suggestions. louis recovered from his cough 3wks ago, but came back again last week.

apollo mummy - louis is said to have bronchitis cough too, cos he wheezed. sigh. And doctor say not to scare me, but it has been 2 episodes and most likely will turn asthmatic. I am worried. What should i take note of to prevent him from having cough again. I really scared it's my ignorance and negligence that made him suffer. :(
some pd said bronchitis might lead to asthma in future but my pd said it depends. has louis started solid food? if so, den the food that goes into his mouth is v impt. remind the elderly at hm not to feed him any junk/adult food.

last time ds was still v young, btwn 2-5 mths when he got bronchitis pretty often. tt time there is nth we can prevent cos he was fully on milk. what pd told us was to bring him out lesser. try not to bring him to crowded places. unless is open air places. so even aft he fully recovered, we also try not to bring him out too frequently den slowly increase the frequency of bringing him out.

mummypooh

some pediatrician said bronchitis might lead to asthma in future but my pediatrician said it depends. has louis started solid food? if so, then the food that goes into his mouth is very impt. remind the elderly at hm not to feed him any junk/adult food.

last time dear son was still very young, btwn 2-5 mths when he got bronchitis pretty often. that time there is nth we can prevent cos he was fully on milk. what pediatrician told us was to bring him out lesser. try not to bring him to crowded places. unless is open air places. so even after he fully recovered, we also try not to bring him out too frequently then slowly increase the frequency of bringing him out.
Hi Apollo,

My 8 mth old son has discharged from KK due to bronchiolitis, symptom r coughing & blocked & running nose. It's been almost 1 wk after discharge, his running nose is better nw, & little cough. Hw do I ensure he's fully recover & will not get bronchiolitis again. It's a torture to c him on d nebulizer treatment.

He has also spread d flu to my hubby n me as I'm his main caregiver, I'm afraid I will spread d virus bk to him again . Thus, I'm trying to get as much rest as I can. Hiaz.

apollo

Hi Apollo,

My 8 month old son has discharged from KK due to bronchiolitis, symptom r coughing & blocked & running nose. It's been almost 1 wk after discharge, his running nose is better now, & little cough. Hw do I ensure he's fully recover & will not get bronchiolitis again. It's a torture to c him on d nebulizer treatment.

He has also spread d flu to my hubby n me as I'm his main caregiver, I'm afraid I will spread d virus back to him again . Thus, I'm trying to get as much rest as I can. sigh.
my pd told me b4, we will not spread the SAME virus back to the person who spread us. so i dun think u will spread it back to ur bb. however, rmb to wear a mask when u're with him, just in case =)