A gift of life - Donating cord blood

Missy S

Dear all MTBs,

Just to share some info on umbilical cord blood of our newborn babies:

Cord blood is the blood that circulates through the umbilical cord from the foetus to the placenta. The umbilical cord, together with the blood in it, is usually discarded after the baby has been delivered. The blood in the umbilical cord is found to be a rich source of blood stem cells, which are also known as “haematopoietic” stem cells.

Research found that these stem cells are potential life saving cells and doctors have been collecting cord blood from the umbilical cords for quite a number of years.

Donating your baby’s umbilical cord blood is encouraged because of its potential to save lives; i.e. the stem cells found in umbilical cord blood can help to cure patients of diseases such as leukaemia, thalassemia, sickle cell anaemia, other blood cancers and disorders, as well as immune disorders.

If you do not wish to store the umbilical cord blood privately, please do consider donating it to help save more lives.

For more info, please check out the website of Singapore Cord Blood Bank:
Singapore Cord Blood Bank

apollo

thks for sharing...

we actu donated ds's cord blood to Singapore Cord Blood Bank. But sad to say, his cord blood cant be stored, think shd be 'not enough quantity' or sth??? =)

fangying

I think cord blood banking is a wonderful idea. 'cos not only can you potentially save lives but also store it for future use should the need arise. Am going to look more into cord blood banking! thanks for the idea!

dapheng

yea! i just search and found out that there is a talk on cordblood banking!! is on oct 2nd by cordlife and is FREE!!