A long tragedy needing serious advice. Please help if you have time to read my story.

StrdCloud

Dear mothers, I am a father who tries very hard to make this family work.
I am not very wealthy, but I give everything I can to let my wife and son enjoy their lives.

Recently, I am on the brink of despair, and I am at a total loss of what to do.

Please give me some advice on how you have or would handle this issue.

We have a son, he is 16 months old now.
1.We have trouble finding childcare for him at woodlands (my parents), yishun(MIL), or punggol (our home). They are either full or just costs too much every month.

2. My wife is expecting a 2nd child, and she is now I believe about 30 weeks? I know it is tiring for her being pregnant and all, but she doesn't need to work and is very young, nor is she sickened with any health problems, (in fact she is very healthy). My son is very active, but she keeps complaining about being tired looking after him staying in my parent's home.

3. Staying in my parent's home, my mother has 5 dogs that have been with us for the past 13 years. We have a dedicated maid that helps to clean up the mess they create everyday. This maid also helps to clean the house, our room, do the dishes, cook, and wash the clothes. She sometimes help bathing my son, and even play with him when I need to sleep in the morning. Recently I have decided to move back to my parent's home as I strongly felt that the maid could at least lighten her burden of at least not having to clean the house, and do my clothes.

We first moved back to my parents home because my wife got careless at home, and my son ended up scalded with some minor and 3rd degree burns.
The burns are healing, but during the entire trip to the hospital. What shocks me most is that she never once shed a tear for him, and really acted as though nothing serious happened. We later moved out after he healed, and because I had a fight with my father. - I have fights with him all the time so its quite normal for me.

The 2nd time we moved back was because my mother had a fight with my dad, and since she now had a maid, she invited us to come back to stay with her so that my son could keep her from being lonely. We later moved back home because I had a quarrel with her, and I was really angry. - You can tell that we are a very argumentative family.

This is the 3rd time now, and she now moves to my MIL's place because my MIL does EVERYTHING for her when my MIL comes home in the evening.
By everything i really mean everything. From bathing to feeding to making the baby sleep. Everytime I tell her to come home, she complains that she has to look after the kid the WHOLE DAY. (Can you please tell me which mother doesn't do that?)
My mother always complains to me that my wife spends too little time interacting with my son, and that my wife always has this look of disinterest whenever my son approaches her.
My wife then complains to me that why does she have to carry this BURDEN (I thought having a child was a JOY) alone, and that she has to look after him alone the whole day. She always has a thinking that if she were to move back to my parent's home, the maid should look after the child so that she can have her own time. -I AM TOTALLY BEWILDERED BY THIS.
Every night my son wakes up (even at 16months), and she never fails to help him wake me up too. Even though I need to go to work the next morning.

She then comments that we have 1 more kid coming, and she will not be able to cope, that we must send the elder boy to childcare, and the maid should totally look after him so that she could focus on the younger one. She frequents this forum, and often comments that ALL of you either had MOTHERS/MOTHERS IN LAW/MAIDS to look after your children. Is this true? Are there no mothers out there that love their children anymore that they just let everyone else do everything for them?

Sadly I have a maid, but my mother REFUSES to allow the maid to look after the kid other than doing mundane issues, such as making milk or washing milk bottles, and cleaning up our room. She believes that my wife should look after him because that is the duty of a mother. Tragically, I am unable to change her mind.

Finally, in return for all the help that my mother gives, she only requests that my wife help look after the house while everyone is out working. My wife feels that it is too much to tell the maid to clean up the house, or take responsibility for what happens at home. My mom asks this because my wife is the only person at home everyday that can keep an eye on everything else. - Is that too much to ask?

My mother is 53, and I am proud she is driving a cab to support herself despite her arrogant nature. She works for 6pm to 6am every morning, and changed her shifts from 4pm - 4am, just so she would not wake us up in the morning. (Her dogs bark really loudly at 4am in the morning). Not only that, she saw that coming home at 6 allows her to do the marketing for us. She always buys food back, and cooks it for my wife. - Seriously, what more can you ask for from an old woman who just worked 12hours????? She even buys us clothes, and dinners (we never eat at anything less than a restaurant) when I was really down and out, and looking for a new career. (I've been doing business all my life, and supporting only myself, and working for people is really whole new concept for me. I've only lived life the other way around)

Confinement - We have been having arguments about how screwed up our confinement was for her. My father has been a chef for the past 50years coming. He ran food chains in Malaysia, and Singapore previously but has retired. He had offered to cook all her foods for her during her first confinement some 15 months ago. ( My dad has been on TV 4 times mind you) He buys pork, pig liver, pig kidney, black chicken, cod fish, salmon, threadfin, and some other really expensive fishes which I don't really know the names. He makes wonderful food, but I was only slapped by my mother in law for not caring for my wife because MY WIFE DIDN'T want to eat what my MIL cooked. Really lost myself here. My MIL kept sending these funny rice wines, that were very sweet, and only cooked nothing but chicken for my wife to eat everyday. It made us look like a fool for even trying to attempt. My father got so frustrated he gave up after 2 weeks. I seriously cannot understand what is going on. I normally have to BEG my dad to cook. She got it free, and still complained.

LASTLY - This is very important question I must ask all of you. Is it normal to like light slap children because they touch things they aren't supposed to touch? Or do? or Climb? Is it really necessary to shout or scream at them in order for them to listen to you? My wife snaps at my son many times a day.
She follows my MIL to light slap my son, and I REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE AND DESPISE BOTH ACTIONS. AND THEY JUST WON'T STOP.

I've never had to do that with him. All i needed to do was talk to him, and he listens to me. He was only 10months old then. I believed that using my heart to talk to him, he would be able to feel my love for him, and actually understand what i mean. Am i really stupid to think that way? I was brought up that way. He is now 15months old, and no longer responds that way to me. I believe their actions have caused him to feel secluded, and inferior. He gets fussy all the time now,as though he had been rejected by people for too long.

Please help advice what I should do.

Judy0801

Me n my boy

I take care of my 18mths old boy myself. Sometimes its really very tired, even complain to my husband i really wish i could have a day off. But its just like venting out my anger, if really give me a day off, i dun bear to leave my boy lor. Haha.

I'm 24mths pregnant now. Its really tired especially need to take care of a toddler and cook for him, but you see, as the time passes, its really not tired already, maybe get use to it already.

I did shout at my son. Cause if i talk nicely to him, he not scare. But when i shout, he will realise he's wrong n stop doing whatever he is doing.

As for slap on the face, i did once. Cause he put coin in his mouth, den my reaction was slap his mouth so he open his mouth for me to take the coin out. And from that, he know cannot anyhow put things inside.

Just to share my story :)

Pocoyo80

Re: A long tragedy needing serious advice. Please help if you have time to read my st

I have two boys and I am a full time working mum. My younger boy has special needs and he needs more assistance in his studies. Me and my husband share the household chores. We do not have a maid and both my boys are in student care whilst we are working. We are like u....to put in our best efforts to provide for our family. My annual leave are all reserved for my family ESP bonding time with my kids. These are precious time that I truly treasured. I used to get very frustrated, depressed and tired after a day's work and to look after the kids. I m very fortunate that I have a very loving husband whom also share the same commitment and thinking as me. He will just do quietly without any complains and provide the pillar of support and comfort if i need them. Since we are the ones who brought our boys to this world, we owe them the responsibility to raise them well. Because of my younger boy's special needs, we strive to put in more effort to coach and guide him so that he is on the right track. I have never regretted that I have conceived him and in fact, I felt satisfied that our efforts are well paid off when we saw improvements in him. I always believe the more effort a woman puts into her family, the more solid the "foundation" will be. "Foundation" as in the closeness, the kids' willingness to share their problems, husband and wife relationship...

From what you wrote, you are also a very committed husband to make your family work... Perhaps you can have a good talk with your wife and see if both of u can work things out. Good luck...

Re: A long tragedy needing serious advice. Please help if you have time to read my st

How old is your wife? From your part of story, could see your wife may be pampered all her life by her own mother, so maybe that's explain her actions. As for getting frustrated with ur son, I believed she could be just very tired from the pregnancy. Don't think towards the negative way first, maybe find a good time to talk to her? I'm a full time working mother and I have 2 daughters. I do have a maid to assist me, but whenever i'm home after work, they like to stick around me. And honestly, sometimes, their quarrels, shoutings can make me feel very vexed. I believed most mothers, regardless full time working or stay home moms will have those feeling once in a while. And if you fear that your son is feeling unhappy or what, try to create more bonding time with him. Let your actions tell him that daddy still loves him a lot and he is important to you. As for your wife, guess the only thing you can do now is to talk it out, but of course, find a good time. And try not to sound too harsh when you talk to her, try to make her understand that you do understand how she felt, what she is going through etc. Preggy women, hormones all haywire la! Good Luck!

AstroDad

Guess u have to work something out with your wife. Have u tried sitting her down and talked to her about the frustrations that u were facing? Have a heart to heart talk calmly. Hopefully thru the session u guys can have a solution to the problems that u faced.

missyqiqi

I'm a full time working mom currently pregnant with number 2 and my number one is 27 months, I have no helper (maid) or even in law to help me, coz my mil pass away and my fil always in his room watching tv whole day. I believe the forum here have a lot of mothers cope without helper, is really very tiring to take care of kids alone.

I'm not sure how old is your wife, but from your story, it seems like your wife is not prepared for all this stuff like kids, pregnant etc.. Having a kids is easy, but having the responsibilities is different. I think thats the part which is stressing your wife out and she just want to avoid it.
Does she want to go back to work? I wish I can be a SAHM (stay at home mom) or SAHWM (stay at home working mom) because I love kids a lot, but it doesn't mean everybody can become a SAHM, some still prefer to go back to work.

As for childcare is not a bad idea for your eldest to go once he reach 18months, because he can get to interact with other kids and play with other kids, because at this age up to 3-4years old their energy is a lot, and they hope to have some one to play with them. You can choose the child care which suits your budget, just tell them you don't mind to be on a waiting list but just call back every 2weeks to a month to check whether is there any vacancy, sometimes you got to push them a little, but not to rude, just tell them you are a bit desperate because your 2nd baby is coming and your wife is not able to cope.

I think most importantly is speak to your wife on what she really want. :) communication is very very important especially after having kids. good luck to you!

Rye

Bonding between mom n child is not as natural as we think actually. I have a friend who actually could not feel any bond with her son when he was born. So much so she felt xtremely guilty for not being able to feel that love/bond that so many other moms before her had shared abt. It took alot of emcouragement n understanding from spouse n close friends to get over the guilt. Some simply need to make xtra effort n of course encouragement fr spouse to get it going. U might not hv detected her struggles in early days of parenthood... Could be... Or she just doesn't hv a realistic view of parenthood.
I'm personally not in favor of maid caring a kid full time without reliable supervision. And I do encourage u to place your first in either 3-4 hrs playgroup/kindy to get the daytime stimulation he needs. I'm currently 37 weeks preg with a 23 mth toddler in full time Childcare while I'm FTWM. It's defintely tougher on my body as I'm past 35. I feel more pain n nausea. And I fell sick every month. Dec was my worst as I had fever at 39.3 for 7 days n was sick for the whole month while my toddler developed mild pneumonia n had to be on me nebulizer for 10 days. But we still got over it. Tough but really need support fr in law n hubby. I just recently hired a maid to do chores n to play with my toddler on weekends when I need to rest n esp when i was sick n hubby had to work. My toddler sticks to me like glue so sometimes I still dun get to rest. :) so truly every mom here is tired but its hard to fully describe the fatigue but I do think many us here do not complain in the forum much but take comfort in having a connection with other overtired moms. Lol.
Talk with your wife privately to truly find the root of it. Do consider some form of playgroup for your first, it would do him good. N if u do try to do much earlier at least 1-2 mths before edd if possible.

shiyi

why cant she help to look after since shes not working? :(

seek help

I am a mother of a 17-month old baby girl, working from home (administrative, marketing, and sales tasks) and has no maid, yet I never thought that my child is a burden. When i get weary from doing eveything at home (my husband helps in washing the dishes but he works at night, so id let him take as much rest as he could), i pause and remember why i am in that situation at the first place and just utter a prayer of gratitude. Motherhood and marriage, uhg...noone said it is goig to be easy, but man, the rollercoaster and bumpy ride is all worth it. I feel for your wife when she said it is tiring to raise a kid (because it really is, literally, it is tiring to run after a toddler, yikes!), and from time to time, she needs a moment by herself. It is a must because we need to freshen up and do things for ourselves alone. You know, things can really get in the way especially if you have forgotten the purpose of it all, yes, you'd rather complain.

But i, too, abhor slapping of children as i find it really cruel, man, id rather slap myself. There is a need for you to discuss this with your wife. Bring her to her favorite restaurant and talk about how you want to raise your kid. And instead of saying, i want this or i dont want this, rephrasing can do a lot, you can say, honey, i feel really sad when i see you giving our son a slap as i feel that he may grow inferior(Better if you cite an example or a specific moment when it happened).

I donot know though if being straighforward can shaken up your wife, like, you tell eveything to her at a face value. Again, as a woman, i dont want to feel i aint doing enough, but id appreciate if youd tell me how i can improve as a mum or as a wife. So proper choice of words, and please, your tone of voice, please. These simple things make a difference. Wives do not want to get their husbands angry. Once the husband is angry, wife feels she is ineffctual and she is not doing anything right and it just builds a wall of defense so she can just justify why she is like that, and in your wife's case, she is tired and she is pregnant. Ditch being argumentative for the mean time, and just be a friend who can listen to her and who can treat her as equal, without complaining how bad she is a mum, and without scolding her for not being the mum that you think she is supposed to be. If after all your efforts, and by this, i mean gazillion attempts, to talk it over with her, better to seek counsel. Just like how you manned up by sharing your story with us, if your attempts will not work out, better to get a professional help.

Lastly, I applaud your mother for being a super mom and super mil as she is to your wife, because not all mothers in law will do that (mine is just as good as your mum, so praise God!). But your mum needs a break. It is said that the children should serve their parents when they get old. Though it is not only limited to giving or providing for their financial needs, which in your case is a good thing, but we as their children, if we cannot give them anything, at least, donot be a burden and give them more mouths to feed and place more responsibilities on their shoulder.

As for the maid raising the children of their boss, well, i agree that noone should raise one's kids but his/her parents. Maids are there to ease the burden from the household chores, but they re not to take over the responsibilities of the parents. If you cannot find a childcare that suits your needs and budget, get a tutor or someone who can do home service for an hour or two, just so your wife can get her break, as she said, she needs.

Being a mum is really hard, but it doesn't need to show... :)

Last edited:

loveymommy

Hi there, it is disheartening hearing that your wife seem to think that everyone in the world owes her a living. She is probably not matured enough to appreciate the beauty of being a mummy n also to hv caring in laws when so many of us just dont. You can seek professional marriage counsellers advise or if you do believe in feng shui, I know of one who can basically help u solve your problems n seek the root. Do pm me if you wish to know more details. More often than not he has helped me in many areas n treated the root of my problems. Good luck!