A/Prof Chong at NUH

Angelyeap

Anyone has experience with this doctor? I am currently 27 weeks and considering changing to a pro-natural doc. Am told he's the father of natural birth in Singapore. Is that true?

Am deciding between Prof Chong @ NUH or Dr Paul Tseng @ Mt Alvernia although I found the latter hospital a little disorganised and drab during the maternity tour.

Pls share any experience. Thanks!

MamabbJ

You may want to read about my post labour horrors at NUH (under Fong Yoke Fai, FYF) before you decide. Read full story here:
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f37/post-labour-horrors-stop-negligent-doctors-73763/

I have no experience with Chong Yap Seng but I have lost my confidence and respect in NUH's O&G doctors. Their arrogant and couldn't care less attitude! Some may say they are still good doctors there -- but once bitten twice (or thrice) shy! They "seem" caring and friendly during the consultation but the end results could be devastating. Anyway, every doctor SHOULD be caring, empathetic, professional and be able to listen and answer their patients' questions -- if not, nobody should go to them. It is like a business transaction, you know -- we pay for their service and we expect their service to be good.

"Father of natural birth?!" Nah, just a sales gimmick that NUH tries to bring across to the public that their doctors are pro natural birth with water birth facilities... My obsgyn (FYF) even tried to scare me into last minute selective c-section just because I had multiple fibroids. He said I may need emergency c-sect if they fibroids block the birth canal -- this he suggested even before assessing and examining my birth canal physically for potential blockage. So I asked him to examine me first, then tell me what was the success rate for natural birth. He just said he can't determine for sure even with the physical examination as I will only find out on labour day itself! What a lousy answer! Finally I asked again for a more assuring answer and he said reluctantly that I should have a "good chance" of a natural birth.

Finally I opt for natural birth, no epidural (but with spinal block), baby was fine, and all went well until ... post labour horrors!

You may want to ask Chong Yap Seng what mode of delivery (birth plan) he opted for his own wife! FYF opted a c-sect for his own wife and that without any medical indication. Pro-natural birth NUH doctors???

Frankly, doctors prefer to perform c-sect (it is just they will never admit it or tell you). Why? Because for c-sect they are paid more, hospital charges more, faster and easier job: no unexpected/unearthly labour calls.

Last edited:

pixie

Hi Angelyeap,

Despite the negativity of posts on this Forum about NUH, I have to admit that I had delivered my baby in this hospital by A/Prof. Mary Rauff. She is extremely motherly, a calm personality and detailed (never jump to conclusion). She has vast experiences in this area and a private practitioner in Mount E, she is pro-natural birth too. Without her sound advices, I wouldn't recover so well and perhaps might even have lost my baby (http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f37/dr-fong-yoke-fai-national-university-hospital-24603/). She has lots of patients so be prepared to wait long to see her even if you've an appointment made already.

I've not heard of Prof Chong hence, I can't give a fair/just comment about him.

Congrats and good luck in searching for a gynae whom you can trust.

Anyone has experience with this doctor? I am currently 27 weeks and considering changing to a pro-natural doc. Am told he's the father of natural birth in Singapore. Is that true?

Am deciding between Prof Chong @ NUH or Dr Paul Tseng @ Mt Alvernia although I found the latter hospital a little disorganised and drab during the maternity tour.

Pls share any experience. Thanks!

Last edited: