acid reflux

Lana17

Hi mummies,

i think my 9 weeks old bb has acid reflux but not totally sure.. need yr feedback here...

my bb has been fussy and will stick out his tongue (like lizard) sometime, arch his back n keep crying.. i carry him m comfort him but after a while he agitate. sometime he will make some noise n his face like in uncomfortable/ pain n like want to poo n fart, he finally did fart but didnt really poo.. but he will poo like a couple of hours laterbut when i look at his poo, it's golden colour n watery so i dont think he is consipated..

n also few hours after feed, sometime, he will regurgitate some thick bean curd amount out n then burp but not those big burp kind.. it seems to me like when i had heartburn during my pregnancy kind of small burp n those 'sour taste' look..

however, he seems ok sometime but out of a sudden he will scream n then get irritated n cry.. thought he was hungry but didnt want to latch on n then try to make him sleep but difficult...

i know tht the digestive system is not fully 'function' yet now but do i juz wait for this regurgitation to get better by itself or is this something need to be retreated or serious?
did any mummies encounter this? any advise?

Many many thx...

Lana17

Thx ALisa - by the way do u give any medication to yr bb or juz let it be n will 'recover' when bb gets older?
my bb used to split out milk alot at the beginning n it's better.. n now with this bean curd thing out fm his mouth, suppose it will get better as he grows..

missgale

Hi Lana, your baby seemed to have colic from your description. They will generally arch their backs, grunt n fuss when they have wind. You may want to give him some gripe water n always burp him after each feed. Also, young babies tend to spit up milk from time to time so if he doesn't seem uncomfortable after spitting, that's fine. If he vomits a lot, you may want to decrease his milk intake. My son has bad gas n reflux so this is from my experience. :)

missgale

My baby gal also like tat. she's a week old. Can we give gripe water at such a young age?
Best to ask your baby pd. my pd gave him rid wind and I was giving it to my son when he was 2 weeks old. N amazingly he slept much better n didn't fuss as much after that. Pd also told me that colic will peak at 4-6 weeks... So have to keep giving him either gripe water or rid wind

Lana17

hi pixie - thx for the post, my bb is fully latch on bf n would like to introduce fm as later as possible, but guess if this countinue might hv to do it...

i've been massaging my bb, burping him and holding him upright n his 'bean curd' split up has slightly reduce.. hope his regui. will resolve with time...

hi missgale - he doesnt seem uncomfortablr after the split up but i know tht he's, maybe in pain/ uncomfortable as lots of time he arch his back n start crying n i can hear tht his stomach make a kind of 'grooo groo'noise, like when we r hungry kind of sound..
feel uncomfortable for him :/

Alisa

only grape water then kept massaging him and push his legs to his stomach or move in a cycle motion help my son to pass the gas. my son is those very ery difficult to burp baby... we can try for 10-15 mins and he don burp.

reiann

sigh, my baby is like this too. she has projectile vomitted twice, but I think that's our fault for not burping her enougha nd feeding her so much. but she does spit up, even after extensive burping. but she's growing.. and eating.. and pooping, so she is taking in enough! I just hope she outgrows it soon.

those parents with babies like this: at what age do they start to spit up less? I read that it peaks at 4 months! that's madness :( :(

Lana17

hi reiann,

the split up will outgrow evetually, not sure how old is yr bb but be a little more patience n will get better :)

i've similiar pb with my bb too. when i posted this thread he was like 2 months old, now coming to his 3rd months, i can see a LOT of diff.. he split very little or not anymore... it was true wif his acid reflex, i'm quite fed up at times cos need to change clothes every time n it sink!

he is getting better n better.. sometime i dun even burp him now, he juz do it himself once i hold him up ;) if u r bf, dun think u need to burp everytime...

abt the 4th month peak, not sure yet but i hope not otherwise i will go crazy to hving keep changing his clothes :s but i dun think so as their digistive system will get better as they get older...

reiann

ohh that's very heartening :) my baby is not yet 1 month old, but as a brand new shiny newborn she wasn't that bad. it started at around 2 weeks and got worse so far.. I'm going on a holiday with her when she's 3 months + so I hope she doesn't spit up as much then! :( and it's just really time consuming to keep burping her and making sure she keeps the breast milk down (yes she's 100% bf - does that help spitting up?). and yes even I smell of rancid milk! :(

Lana17

yah, sometime it takes me abt 10 to 15 mins to burp my bb n if he dun burp after 15 mins, i juz let it go n hold him upright for another 15 mins ju z to make sure be dun throw out straight away ..

dun thnk so, bf milk digest faster than fm.. the split up is b'cos their esophagus muscle is still not yet 'strong' enough to hold down the milk... slowly but surely it will get better :)

gimbul

Hi

Sorry for a long post.

My 2 month old DD seems to suffer from silent reflux. Since she was gaining weight at her 1st month check up, doc told to ignore and wait till 3 months to let it go away. After dealing with gas issues, we changed her to Similac Total Comfort Lactose free plus Himalaya Herbals Bonnisan for gas and she is much better with regards to gas. But she still cries the WHOLE day on and off till about 12 am at night and cannot sleep when put down. Even on an incline she keeps swallowing like she is getting some reflux (she does not spit up). The crying starts after a feed even after she is full and will not take the bottle anymore. She sleeps for not more than 2 hours during day and 4-5 hours at night. Rest of the time she is awake and cranky crying inconsolably most of the time.

Can anyone recommend a good doctor who can address reflux issues for a formula fed baby? Also is it advisable to mix Enfalac AR with Similac Total comfort to prevent constipation?
Plz help. We have been sleepless for weeks now and exhausted from all the crying. I am on the verge of slipping back into postnatal blues.

Last edited: