***Advice for MTB on C-Section and Infant Care***

Mummy Wang

Dear Mummies,
I need advice on two things currently

(1) C Section
(2) Confinement
(2) Infant cares and Nannies

For C-Section :
What are the things to note before and after a C-Sect?
For e.g. any dietary requirements, any do's and dont's, how long it might take to recover, etc

What are the things to expect, e.g. bleeding profusely if my wounds are torn, or I cant move for a period of X time(how long), etc

For Confinement:
I am not getting a confinement lady as I am trying to save as much as I can. My mother in law will be doing the cooking for the one month and she will take 1 week's leave while my hubby will take the rest of the 3 weeks leave to accompany me as I know during this period, the mother should rest as much as possible. Furthermore, I am opting for C-section so my wounds might be far greater than normal delivery.

I am really in need of advice for this. :001_07:

Is confinement really necessary then since I am almost handicapped due to my C-sect wounds and that recovery period is long?

For Infantcare/Nanny:
Any takes on Infant care vs Nanny? Maid is really out of the question...

Thank you in advance for reading my post =)

apollo

Dear Mummies,

(1) C Section
(2) Confinement

For C-Section :
For e.g. any dietary requirements, any do's and dont's, how long it might take to recover, etc

What are the things to expect, e.g. bleeding profusely if my wounds are torn, or I cant move for a period of X time(how long), etc

I had c-sect too. I was told not to eat chk during hte 1st 2 weeks and no seafoods for 3mth and cannot carry heavy things for a few mths too. However, I ate mcdonalds sausage mcmuffin (chk) on the day 2 cos i forgot abt it, but my wound was okay.

The 1st day I didnt really feel the pain cos i was lying on the bed and was on drip with painkiller. On the 2nd day, you are ecpected to come down and walk and go to the toilet. The 1st time time I got down the bed, was the most painful moment. Gonna hold onto the wound area as i got down the bed n walk. I bought a binder from my gynae and it helps alot. according to my gynae, the more we walk, the soonest the c-sect wound will recover. I walk alot and by day 4/5, i can walk steadily. I rmb i used to walk alot aft i discharge haha. of cos the pain wont goes off so soon but the hte most painful time only last 2-3 days for me.

For Confinement:
I am not getting a confinement lady as I am trying to save as much as I can. My mother in law will be doing the cooking for the one month and she will take 1 week's leave while my hubby will take the rest of the 3 weeks leave to accompany me as I know during this period, the mother should rest as much as possible. Furthermore, I am opting for C-section so my wounds might be far greater than normal delivery.

I am really in need of advice for this. :001_07:

Is confinement really necessary then since I am almost handicapped due to my C-sect wounds and that recovery period is long?

Yes you nd to rest more but dont forget to WALK more too, it really helps ur wound to recover faster. my cousin lied on the bed for 3 weeks and her wound still hurts at week 3. I walked alot and by week 2 i can walk very fast n steady and wound does not hurt as much as compared with the 1st few days.

And also, try to carry ur baby more so she can recognise ur smell. my cousin didnt really carry her bb during confinement so aft the CL left, she had a great headache as bb will recognise smell.

for resting, try to rest more at night if not u will feel very tired cos aft ur confinement u will be handling bb on ur own until ur ML end and during that time i think u hardly can rest well at night.

And having c-sect doesnt makes u 'almost handicapped'. c-sect is not as scary as u think. Like I mentioned above, the more u walk the soonest ur wound will recover. but those tiny lil pain might last for a year (for me) but is just once in awhile. during the 1st 3-4mths, the pain will comes more frequently but was still bearable for me.

For Infantcare/Nanny:
Any takes on Infant care vs Nanny? Maid is really out of the question...

If you're able to find a trusty nanny who will follow ur ways on hw u want her to tc ur baby, then i think a nanny is better cos at IFC, bb might fall ill easily as she is not the only bb in the IFC but nanny usually they only tc 1 bb. but that is ONLY IF you are able to find a trusty n good nanny (which might be diffi to find one).

Thank you in advance for reading my post =)
My 2cents worth are in red =)

PinkDiamonds

Yes, C-section is not as scary as you may think it is. The initial part is very painful, especially on the 1st time you have get out of bed to walk. From there onwards it gets easier & easier. I bought the binder from my gynae as I was told it will help a lot, but end up I didn't use it much. In fact I got out of bed and walked without the binder.

Depending on the type of wound closure your gynae does, the follow-up check-up will be slightly different. I didn't have stitches that needed to be remove. Just had a couple of staples on the ends of the incision that needed to be remove a week later. I know some mummies who need to have the stitches removed. After the operation there will be a pressure bandage over the wound which will be removed at the review check-up. You may be given a cream or gel to apply over the wound as it heals further. I had silicon gel.

Your wound will get itchy when it's healing about a couple of months later, but please don't scratch it. Just try to tolerate it.

Chicken is fine. My confinement lady cooked my meals with prawn & fish. Before she cooked the prawns she did ask if my wound has sealed up. About 1 week later, which is also the time you head back to your gynae to check on the wound.

I believe carrying baby is not a problem after the C-section. If you can, try to sit down whenever you're carrying your baby, and avoid carrying baby for long periods of time. Walk as much as you can, but take a rest if you feel uncomfortable. Drink lots of water too. Even though I hired a CL, most of her time was spent cooking. She also helped with bathing baby & diaper changes which i think your hubby can help with.

I have no experience with nannies & infant care, thus I think other mummies here will be in a better position to advice.

Mummy Wang

Hi Pink Diamonds and Apollo,

Thank you for sharing with me your experiences. :001_302:

I've been through a similar ops before to remove a cyst so my mind is more or less prepared for a C section.

I do agree that walking will help tremendously but it all depends on individual recuperation rate =)

I'm now going to understand more about infant care to better prep what;s coming ahead!

anttan

Hi,

i dun have experience on c-sect and confinement yet but i've decided to place my baby into infant care when reached 3-4mth old...

true that baby will tend to get sick easily when in infant care but think they will be immunied to it soon after. i prefer to let my baby to expose to these so -called virus as too clean or too hygiene might not do good for their health as well.

infant care will stimulate the baby's right and left brain at an early stage so that your baby can learn more than with nanny. some nanny does take care of other kids as well and you wun know how they will treat ur baby behind ur back.

the infant care i chose is a newly setup for infant care but they had several childcare centres. i believe as they are newly setup, so they will be extra careful and not many infants signed up yet and they are a ratio of 1:3 (1 teacher and 3 infants).

i went to the branded school with the ratio of 1:5 and i can see that the teachers are just non-chalant to the infants.

just my 2cts worth of view. :001_302:

faye2678

Dear Mummies,

(1) C Section
(2) Confinement

For C-Section :

Hi,

I had the same "?????" for C-Sect! :)
You might find some of the information from this thread useful...

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f36/caesarean-section-c-sect-welcome-all-advices-sharing-55141/

Jenn7766

Hi Mummy Wang

B4 your delivery, make sure you have a full meal. After delivery they will usually monitor you for the side effects of epidural for a few hours without food. After delivery, please get out of bed as soon as you can. I popped in the wee hours so I got out of bed the same day during evening. Try to make good use of the effects of epidural and painkiller to start walking. I gave birth in the wee hours and started walking on the same day evening. By the 3rd day I am able to walk normally like those who had normal delivery. After discharge you should be able to feed the baby and walk in the house with ease. However, you'll still feel the stiffness when standing up from the sitting position. Other than that, make sure your pressure bandage does not fray or peel. Go back to your doctor immediately if it happens.

If you intend to breastfeed and have adequate rest, it will be better to discuss with your mother in law to take on some household chores and taking care of the baby. Remember only with the nutritious food, plenty of drinking liquid and sufficient rest, you will have a constant supply of milk to feed your baby. You need to breastfeed every 2-3 hours for 30 mins - 45 mins. My friend had her mother for confinement almost collapsed because of the regular feeds during the night while my experienced confinement lady guided me with breastfeeding, taking care of the baby, looking out for symptons of illness and losing weight safely after confinement. Best of all, I get adequate rest throughout the day as I know someone is tending my baby, helping out the household chores, cooking for me and my hubby.