advice needed: 3mths old going without midnight feeds...

andieluv2

My baby is turning 3months old nxt wk. she is currently drinking 120mls ebm every 3 hrs. she will have her feed at 10pm and will slp ard 11pm. I tried to wake her up at 1am last night but had a difficult time feeding her as she was really in deep sleep. Took abt 1hr to finish juz 80mls out of 120mls. I am thinking could i omit the 1am feed and let her slp thru out till nxt morning ard 8am so i could bathe her and give her the morning feeds. I was wondering will it be too long hrs for her to go without feeds as she is barely 3months.

As i am also doing pumping at night, its really tiring to pump and gotta feed again. My baby din like to latch as my supply is not bery much (could only get 100mls combined every 4hrs). And definitely she prefer the bottle as the flow is faster. So i would definitely be happy if i could skip the midnight feed.

Any experienced mummy can advise? Thnkz!!!

how i hope my bb can sleep thrgout the night. it does not matter if they don't wake up for night feed. the rule of waking baby for milk (no longer than 4 hours break) generally applies to newborn or very young baby.

remember the rule of demand, they will naturally wake up if they sense hunger. as long as yr baby is gaining weight well, it is fine. i think yr bb doing good in the day with 120ml per 3 hours:)

andieluv2

ilovebbdylan:692672 said:
how i hope my bb can sleep thrgout the night. it does not matter if they don't wake up for night feed. the rule of waking baby for milk (no longer than 4 hours break) generally applies to newborn or very young baby.

remember the rule of demand, they will naturally wake up if they sense hunger. as long as yr baby is gaining weight well, it is fine. i think yr bb doing good in the day with 120ml per 3 hours:)
Oh izzit?! i tried to feed her again at 1030pm juz now and she doze off again. Argh!! wasted 30mls of my precious ebm for her. Haiz. Cant keep it too long either and difficult to burp her as she is in deep slp. So just lie her on her side. Hopefully she dont regurg. Will let her slp thru the night for tonight and see how it goes. Guess she should be gaining weight as her nxt appt to see doc is nxt month.

bruti732

hi, from what i read, babies should can have 2 4-5hours sleep. need to wake her up after 5 hours to feed if she continue on sleeping.

4oz every 3 hrs means 32oz a day, i think shes not hungry if she does her deep sleep of more than 5 hrs. they say during the night 12am- 6am, if they do not demand for milk, its ok to jus let them sleep. but in the morning must feed after 5hours max of sleep.

another rule of thumb they say, 2.5oz milk for every lb of baby weight. e.g baby weighs 10lbs, 25oz milk at least within 24hrs

andieluv2

bruti732:692703 said:
hi, from what i read, babies should can have 2 4-5hours sleep. need to wake her up after 5 hours to feed if she continue on sleeping.

4oz every 3 hrs means 32oz a day, i think shes not hungry if she does her deep sleep of more than 5 hrs. they say during the night 12am- 6am, if they do not demand for milk, its ok to jus let them sleep. but in the morning must feed after 5hours max of sleep.

another rule of thumb they say, 2.5oz milk for every lb of baby weight. e.g baby weighs 10lbs, 25oz milk at least within 24hrs
Does that apply to baby below certain age.or bery young for newborn? bcoz i asked my frens they say jux allow her to slp. Dont accustom her to.keep waking up at.night for feeds. This is so that i could have.better rest too. She seems comfortable.in the.morning. Today she only had 5 feeds bcoz i omit her night feeds bcoz she is in deep slp. Guess will wake her up at ard 7 to feed her then put her to slp again. If not she will not meet her requirement of at least 24oz.of feeds per.day(she drinks abt 5-6 feeds per day)

mangobees

It's okay if they sleep thru the night. My 2mth old has been sleeping for 5-6hrs after my last feed at 10plus pm before he wakes up for feed. Just feed on demand since she's feeding fine in the day.

bruti732

feed on demand is more recommended than scheduled feeds. let her sleep through the night. she'll wake up by herself is she's hungry. but through the day, as i have said wake her up after 5 hrs max to feed

bruti732

i think my baby is even feeding less. she does not stay on the breast long sometimes. and if we force a bottle on her due to 3hr schedule, she cries. so we feed her whenever she demands. if she takes the milk we feed if not we wait til she demands for milk. same during the night, feed on demand.

bruti732

anyways what books says are mostly recommendations, different rules apply to different babies. so don't worry if your baby wants to sleep :) rest assured she'll ask for milk if she's hungry

mskyliee

My boy is also a feed to demand baby since young. I tried to give him on schedule whn he was young.. but it just doesn't work. And he pretty stubborn when it comes to this... he doesn't want means he doesn't want... so my mom suggested to feed him when he wants or when he's about to fall asleep... do far this works..

kaymummy

I usually let my babies decide their own schedule. My older boy was on 120ml every 2 hours 24/7. He only managed to sleep through a 6 hour stretch without a milk feed when he was about 13 months old.

My younger boy is on 120ml every 2.5 hours. Also feed almost 24/7. His longest stretch is from 12-4am only.

My friend's girl takes the same as my boy in the day but she can sleep through the night till even 10am the next day!

Hence just follow what your baby wants. It's not necessary to wake baby up and feed if she doesn't want it. You will take long and she won't take much either.

Hope that helps. :)

andieluv2

wah!!! i am soooo happy to hear this!! so it means i can get better rest... but i still gotta wake up to pump. but at least i dun need to pump and feed. thankz all for ur advice!!!

andieluv2

notabigdeal:693018 said:
You can try stretching the pumping in the middle of the night if you have more than enough milk supply now.
That's what I did!
nope. i got low supply. pump abt 100 mls only combined. still striving hard to give baby all ebm. not gonna give up easily. so gotta pump 4hr religiously.