Advice needed: High risk of Trisomy 13

poohie

Hi all,

I just got back my report and was inform that I have high risk of T13. Anyone has encounter similar problem and baby is fine?

The normal range is 1:5565
My result is 1:1752.

Doc say its consider high risk and will do a detail scan next week. But waiting till then is making me worried. Can anyone advice?

miracle25

Hi all,

I just got back my report and was inform that I have high risk of T13. Anyone has encounter similar problem and baby is fine?

The normal range is 1:5565
My result is 1:1752.

Doc say its consider high risk and will do a detail scan next week. But waiting till then is making me worried. Can anyone advice?
hi poohie, I was in high risk too for my OSCAR test and we did the Amnio test and the result turn out to be okay. Most often, as mentioned by other mummies in other forums, OSCAR test is a false alarm... especially to first time mother like myself.. when I received the call from the clinic, I burst to tears in office and took urgent leave tat day..

so far, the baby's growing well inside and I'm in my 26 weeks now..

Hi,

All i can say is don't worry. My results were way worse then yours. i think its was like 800 or so, and i was 35yrs old when i gave birth to my first child.

My gal is now 2 years old and healthy.

poohie

Hi,

All i can say is dont't worry. My results were way worse then yours. i think its was like 800 or so, and i was 35yrs old when i gave birth to my first child.

My gal is now 2 years old and healthy.
Hi Kay,

Thanks for the comforting words, this is my first child and both me and my hubby are very worried after the report is out. Did u opt for any test after your result is out ? or u just deliver your baby ?

poohie

hi poohie, I was in high risk too for my OSCAR test and we did the Amnio test and the result turn out to be okay. Most often, as mentioned by other mummies in other forums, OSCAR test is a false alarm... especially to first time mother like myself.. when I received the call from the clinic, I burst to tears in office and took urgent leave tat day..

so far, the baby's growing well inside and I'm in my 26 weeks now..
Hi Miracle25,

Yes the report is really very disheartening. I really hope its a false alarm but somehow when it happen to your own child even 1% of risk you tend to worry. The doc advise me to not worry too much too but really cant help. He put the amnio test as e last resort. He say will do a detail scan for me on my next appt and will focus on this issue and if im still worried, will send me to NUH for another detail scan. If the result is not ideal, then he will advise i opt for amnio test. My next appt is next week. Im waiting with anxiety. =(

miracle25

hi poohie, yah I agree to go with ur gynae for the best advice. for the sake of our baby and heard alot of good cases from other forums and frens, we opt for the Amnio test.. it is also not cheap, the whole test costs us nearly $1000+ (excluding the supplements).. wish you gd luck. :) for me, I'm going for the glucose test tis Sat..

Hi,

I think i was lucky that hubby and me agreed against the amnio test cos i wasn't willing to risk it.

In the end ,my gynae recommended that i see this doc at Camden who who does scannings ( Way more detailed then the detailed scan), he will measure every single part of the baby and he was able to tell me that he was so sure my baby didn't have Down's syndrome and if she did, he will close shop. haha! I remember i paid about $500 plus for that but it was worth it as it did put my mind at rest and i was able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy after that.

Here are the details of the doc i saw. very nice and friendly guy.

Antenatal Diagnostic Centre and Well Woman Clinic
Obstetrics & Gynaecology Dr Chinnaiya Anandakumar
Unit No: #06-07/08 Tel: 6333 8621 Web:
www.ssr.com.sg

The way i see it, if there's no history of down's syndrome in the family and u are relatively young, shouldn't be a problem but u need to put your mind at ease or baby will be born healthy but grouchy. Heard a case ike that.

Good luck!

Hi Kay,

Thanks for the comforting words, this is my first child and both me and my hubby are very worried after the report is out. Did u opt for any test after your result is out ? or u just deliver your baby ?

poohie

Hi,

I think i was lucky that hubby and me agreed against the amnio test cos i wasn't willing to risk it.

In the end ,my gynae recommended that i see this doc at Camden who who does scannings ( Way more detailed then the detailed scan), he will measure every single part of the baby and he was able to tell me that he was so sure my baby didn't have Down's syndrome and if she did, he will close shop. haha! I remember i paid about $500 plus for that but it was worth it as it did put my mind at rest and i was able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy after that.

Here are the details of the doc i saw. very nice and friendly guy.

Antenatal Diagnostic Centre and Well Woman Clinic
Obstetrics & Gynaecology Dr Chinnaiya Anandakumar
Unit No: #06-07/08 Tel: 6333 8621 Web:
www.ssr.com.sg

The way i see it, if there's no history of down's syndrome in the family and u are relatively young, shouldn't be a problem but u need to put your mind at ease or baby will be born healthy but grouchy. Heard a case ike that.

Good luck!
Hi Kay,

I have seen your post in other thread regarding this doctor. Thanks for the recommendation.

My scheduled detail scan is at NUH but it will be one month later (in march). My doc told me not to worry as it is very rare but still ask me if I'm ok to opt for amino test if there is a need. It's hard not to worry when it happen on your own baby. =(

Jazz06

Hi,

I'm on high risk for oscar test too so went for amnio. Hopefully the results out will be ok in another 2 weeks time. Praying hard... Good luck to u too..

Last edited:

poohie

Glad to hear that. Happy for u! I didn't go for amino because e prof at NUH told me everything is ok. And my results is considered low risk. Heaved a sign of relief!!!