advice needed - medela PISA cant empty breast how?

verieying

hi mummies
am hoping i can get some help.. bought PISA earlier this week and realised pumping output not good. changed from hard b shield to soft fit shield. while pumping is more comfortable, fine thatmy breast are still not emptied and volume low despite pumping for half hour... i can e pty better wmy avent manual pump but stopped as hands became achy...

anyone can help or advise? thanks!

foreveris

hi mummies
am hoping i can get some help.. bought PISA earlier this week and realised pumping output not good. changed from hard b shield to soft fit shield. while pumping is more comfortable, fine thatmy breast are still not emptied and volume low despite pumping for half hour... i can e pty better wmy avent manual pump but stopped as hands became achy...

anyone can help or advise? thanks!
How old is your baby? When my bb was a few days old as milk supply is low, my advent manual pump worked better. Subsequently, when supply increased I was able to use my freestyle

verieying

hi hi, ds one mth liao that's why tot of changing to electric pump as my avent while can empty my breasts, it takes me abt 40 min to an hr per pump so hands achy...

FatCat

I have the same problem with my PISA (and Ameda and Avent Manual pump too). What I do this: After the pump isn't extracting anymore milk, I let it continue for another five mins. Sometimes, I will remove it and massage the breasts first. If there is no more milk flowing in that five mins. I will remove the pump, then massage and hand-express for a few more minutes.

verieying

I have the same problem with my PISA (and Ameda and Avent Manual pump too). What I do this: After the pump isn't extracting anymore milk, I let it continue for another five mins. Sometimes, I will remove it and massage the breasts first. If there is no more milk flowing in that five mins. I will remove the pump, then massage and hand-express for a few more minutes.
thanks mummies, i tried hand express but not good at it so can get some droplets out... i can empty better w my avent manual pump... shall try massaging during pumps then... hope it works...

Novels

I am using freestyle which cannot empty my breast too, so after pumping for 35-45 mins, I use hand express. If avent manual pump is able to empty your breast, you may use the PISA 1st and after that switch to avent manual pump for the last 5 mins for empty the breast?

verieying

I am using freestyle which cannot empty my breast too, so after pumping for 35-45 mins, I use hand express. If avent manual pump is able to empty your breast, you may use the PISA 1st and after that switch to avent manual pump for the last 5 mins for empty the breast?
thanks novela, heehee was hoping one pump will do afterall so ex leh! ;p

just wondering, w electric pumps, how long upump each time?

FatCat

I know what you mean, wishing that the one pump would just do the job of emptying the breast :001_302:
I pump for between 20min - 30min each time. I've tried a few times to pump longer than that, but not a drop of milk...
hey, when you massage after pumping, can you feel "lumps" in your breasts? I can, that's how I know that there's still milk in there. I'll knead on those "lumps", as if I am trying to burst them or push the milk out of them, then I will express again (I usually use hand, but in your case, you can try with the medela or avent). I find it gets the milk out faster after i knead the lumps.
One of my friends has a very cute way of massaging in the midst of a pumping session: after massaging, she will use her fingertips to form a "mouth" and emulate baby's mouth sucking action. And it gets her good results! Next letdown of milk was pretty generous.:001_302:
How I also wish that I can just put on the pump and let it do everything!

Novels

thanks novela, heehee was hoping one pump will do afterall so ex leh! ;p

just wondering, w electric pumps, how long upump each time?
Oh I thought you have 2 pumps that why gave you this suggestion :p.

For me, I pump about 45 mins +- cos my milk flow out is slow, for the 1st 20 mins I can get only the max 2 oz from each breast so I need to pump longer in order to get sufficient milk to feed my son. However is depends on individual, some mums take only 15 mins to finish pumping.

verieying

Oh I thought you have 2 pumps that why gave you this suggestion :p.

For me, I pump about 45 mins +- cos my milk flow out is slow, for the 1st 20 mins I can get only the max 2 oz from each breast so I need to pump longer in order to get sufficient milk to feed my son. However is depends on individual, some mums take only 15 mins to finish pumping.
thanks novels, yeah hv 2 but tot it is a hassle to use both hence me trying touse one - the electric one heehee
wow 2 oz each breast is v.good leh! i pump 20 min only UP to 1 oz each breast so max total 2 oz.when using manual can get up to 2.5 or 3 oz hence my supply drop since using electric sigh, must jia you jia you!