Advice to help young child of divorced parents

JazN

Hi mummies,

any advice on what I can do to help a 4yr child cope with divorced parents, aside from own parent? It's a close kin. I saw previously a support group was being set up with members from mummysg volunteering does this still exist?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Thks!

JazN

in what ways as an aunt i can help so that hopefully will not allow the child to suffer too much from the recupersion of the divorced parents.

while the parents are in the midst of settling their divorce thru lawyers & aside of trying to maintain a lesser disruption to the daily affairs of the child is there any need to prepare the child?

Ting

hmmmm actually its hard to give advices, cos different children cope differently due to their upbringing and character.
some children are more matured and can understand better, so they take it well, while some still dont know what is going on btw the parents.
i believe the parents are not living tgt now? how is the child "reacting" to this?does the child know the parents are going to be seperated?
i think the most impt part here is not to let the child feel or think that it is his/her fault that the parents are seperating. monitor and see if the child hv any unnatural behavior like sudden withdrawal to people, always sulking and keeping to him/herself,loss of appetite n sleep, no interest in playing or his usual favourite tv shows/activities. IMO, this r signs u can take note of to see how much the child is affected.

actually as an outsider/3rd party, there is that much u can do. i still think that it is the parent's responsibilities to make sure their child is alright and coping well. they still need to work tgt to raise this child though they r seperated, unless one party is unwilling to.

JazN

thks ting! will also help to monitor as he's no longer staying at his own home already & i'm sometimes around as sahm