Advise on storing EBM while on biz trip

shi_san_yee

Hello mummies,

I need some advise esp if anyone has done it before. I'm going overseas for biz trip and want to pump while I'm there then store in the hotel fridge. Do i need to pump and dump or can i actually bring it back? the flight is 5 hrs and i will be away for 3 days.

TIA!

BM can only store in fridge for 24hrs. Even in airplanes, there are no freezers. Just bags of ice. Believe me, I know. Looks like you have to pump and dump.

shi_san_yee

hmmm even if i freeze it at the hotel, by the time i get back, thawed already also cannot use? seems like gotta use it to wash face...:err:

allycat

The mini bar in the hotel room is really not cold enough to freeze the milk and I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to hand carry the milk up the plane. When I'm on business trips, I usually pump and throw while I'm on the plane and in local office. When I'm back in the hotel, I'll use the milk for milk bath.

shi_san_yee

yah i realised the mini bar won't be able to freeze the milk... was just thinking if normally at home i put the milk in the fridge it lasts for a week, and i normally put it out to room temperature for few hours before feeding, so if i take an ice pack, put it in the check in baggage 5 hr flt, still not ideal hor?

looks like i'm gonna have milk bath.. thing is i need to keep disciplined to pump so supply doesn't dip

Lasts for a week in the fridge?? At most you can keep bm in fridge is 48hrs... room temp is 3-4hrs. Just dump it or milk bath lah. You can always pump again. It's free after all.

shi_san_yee

i thot bm can store in refrigerator for 7-8 days. read from most websites. i've been keeping for abt 3-4 days for my boy leh! hmm then again, how do i tell if bm is spoilt? i don;t taste it, so i can't be sure if it 'smells'

Oh no!
Freezer : 3-6 mths
Fridge : 48 hrs
Room temp : 3-4 hrs

I personally try to use ebm in fridge within 24hrs. Otherwise freeze it.