Aging placenta/calcification of the placenta

maiz

Just wondering if any mummies have been thru this before? was told today that i have calcification of the placenta or what they called 'aging' placenta at 33weeks. baby might need to be delivered early. been reading up on internet but doesnt give me much info other than what it is and that its common in overdue preg but im not overdue yet....seems like i'm having lots of trouble with my placenta..other than this my placenta is also low lying...sigh....

jasobias

hmm..to my knowledge when placenta calcifies or ages it ceases to provide nutrients to the baby.So it cld impede baby's growth.
In worst case scenario dr will recommend c section at 34 weeks.
If can wait n ur situation is not so bad..the dr will induce at 37 weeks.But since u have low lying placenta..i guess it will be a c -section for u ?
dont think too much abt it.As long baby is healthy i think we mummies can bear a bit of pain here n there.
Hang in there!!

Just wondering if any mummies have been thru this before? was told today that i have calcification of the placenta or what they called 'aging' placenta at 33weeks. baby might need to be delivered early. been reading up on internet but doesnt give me much info other than what it is and that its common in overdue preg but im not overdue yet....seems like i'm having lots of trouble with my placenta..other than this my placenta is also low lying...sigh....
Hi Maiz,

how did u find out on this? Did the gynae do a special scan on you? Do share with us?

Littlemoomoo

maiz

hmm..to my knowledge when placenta calcifies or ages it ceases to provide nutrients to the baby.So it cld impede baby's growth.
In worst case scenario dr will recommend c section at 34 weeks.
If can wait n your situation is not so bad..the dr will induce at 37 weeks.But since you have low lying placenta..i guess it will be a c -section for you ?
dont think too much about it.As long baby is healthy i think we mummies can bear a bit of pain here n there.
Hang in there!!
Hi jasobias

yea my doc is monitoring but he didnt say much about it like when wld the earliest i wld need to induce or do c-sec...as for c-sec or not for the lowlying placenta he still said too early to tell so wanted to wait til next scan.... so dun really understand why he didnt say much about it...at the time i was too shock or blur to ask questions also...

just want baby to be healthy dun really care if its c-sec or not just as long as baby comes out ok... :)

maiz

Hi Maiz,

how did you find out on this? Did the gynae do a special scan on you? Do share with us?

Littlemoomoo
Hi littlemoomoo...

i just went for my normal check up today and doc did a ultrascan for me as per normal and was just checking around the womb and saw the placenta had some white spots or s'thing and he said that my placenta was calcifying..at first didnt really understand so he explained it means my placenta is aging faster than it shld be whh may be a problem for bb cos it wont provide the nutrients, oxygen etc to the bb like it shld til the full term. so he said bb will have to be come out earlier but he didnt seem to say like when or wld it get worse or anything that's why was wondering if any mummies have gone thru this before...

angelwendy

i heard of this before.. i think is something like the placenta soon will no longer provide nutrients for ur baby to grow.. so doc might ask u to c sect soon... as the placenta cannot protect the baby... if u got low placenta... i think ur doc will suggest c sect instead of normal delivery.. but of course as long as baby is healthy.. thats is the most important.... don't worry too much k.. doc will be there to advise u....

maiz

i heard of this before.. i think is something like the placenta soon will no longer provide nutrients for your baby to grow.. so doc might ask you to c sect soon... as the placenta cannot protect the baby... if you got low placenta... i think your doc will suggest c sect instead of normal delivery.. but of course as long as baby is healthy.. thats is the most important.... dont't worry too much k.. doc will be there to advise you....
Thanks angelwendy....
yea my main concern now is that bb is healthy and born healthy...c-sec or not doesnt matter anymore. guess just a bit blur and worried cos duno anyone who's been thru this before and what this means exactly and how it will affect bb. really hope that bb can stay inside as long as possible and be fully developed before he has to come out...

Dun worry Maiz, i am sure everything will be fine..do keep us updated on your delivery. Take care and dun think too much.

Littlemoomoo