Any crying toddler in the night?

veronica

Is your child been crying in the middle of the night?? How old is your child and for how long the cry will stop? Do you know for what reasons? Can share how you overcome it and how long it takes him/her to be back to normal ?

jedamum

is it nightterror?
is it nightmare?
my K1 boy cries in the night...roughly around midnight about 2-3 nights per week. used to be 4-5 nights per week for quite a while.
i tried not to overstimulate my boy 1-2 hrs before bedtime.
end the night with a happy note/story.
establish a fixed bedtime routine.
in anycase, everynight is a 'gamble'. i told my dh, maybe coz ds1 is born around midnight and the birth journey is too traumatised for him (via vacuum suction), so he still remembers it now...heehee :p

naze

Hi,

My DD also cried in the middle of the night for 2-3 times, sometimes can be 4-5 times. Sometime she cried while sleeping, if not with her eyes opened. This few nights, the weather are cosy, she sleeps better. We did check everything before she sleeps, make sure she's comfortable before she sleeps. But still cried. Me also dont know the reason ?

elfsg

My gal used to cry in the nite when is is about 1 year plus after that it stops but these few nite, she starts crying again... i am not sure what is wrong. I had check if her diaper is soiled and if she feel cold but everything is ok. i am at a loss too

veronica

How long usually ur child cry?

Will yours kick his/her legs while crying? Mine will leh. Also dun know what is the reason.

jedamum

just last night, my boy cry i think around 3 times. most times after he calm down, he doesn't know why he cry. he refuse to tell me cos he said he doesn't know why. some times, even when he is 'awake' as he cries, i can't get eye contact with him. at one time, i read him a book to jolt him out of his sobs, then after i finished, he ask me whether if it is 9.30pm (past his 9pm bedtime), i told him he already slept at 9pm and it is already 12.30am!!

wilcris

Me too, my boy was crying these few nights, Normally he don't cry in the middle of the night only these few nights, he started crying. Don't even know what happen

snort

very commonly due to nightmare or night terror. the latter usu occurs within a few hours of going to bed and often, the child may look awake but is actually not. my dd did that very often at K2 and she might walk to the toilet or around the room and say or do funny things. it happened very frequently during that year, about 2-4x a week? i also attributed it to the fact that she was sleeping alone for the first time since birth and she's also very timid and afraid of many things. so.... very hard to say what is wrong....

keep the evenings quieter and avoid tv/dvd programs that are stimulating or scary. even computer games are highly stimulating to the brain.

veronica

My son is 14 mths
Is he still crying now in the night?

For my son, I don't think it's due to over stimulating activities. I also hope it's not becoming a habit for him to wake up at night and cry.

Most times, when I offer him milk, he will take and sleep after drinking (never finished them). Sometimes, I will let him whine till he stops and sleep on his own.

I heard some toddlers are like that as it's part of their growing phrase. But of course there are more kuai toddlers who sleep through the night. Me not so lucky i guess. sigh...

naze

This morning, my DD cried at 12.40am till almost 1 am. Dont know why ? Asked hubby to check if any insects bite her leh ? She cried non-stop till I also beh qie & scolded her. After making milk for her, she sleep. But she dont look like she's hungry & cried till so pitiful. She cried again at 4 plus and before I leave home for work. I'm still wondering why ???? Dont know is it nightmare or what ?

veronica

This morning, my DD cried at 12.40am till almost 1 am. Dont know why ? Asked hubby to check if any insects bite her leh ? She cried non-stop till I also beh qie & scolded her. After making milk for her, she sleep. But she dont look like she's hungry & cried till so pitiful. She cried again at 4 plus and before I leave home for work. I'm still wondering why ???? Dont know is it nightmare or what ?
Did she cry with the eyes open or closed? Did you try to carry her? For mine, he usually cries with eyes closed but if cries too long, he will open his eyes. Sometimes, he will whine a few mins and sleep, sometimes he will cry non-stop till I attend to him..

I also dun know why..

naze

Did she cry with the eyes open or closed? Did you try to carry her? For mine, he usually cries with eyes closed but if cries too long, he will open his eyes. Sometimes, he will whine a few mins and sleep, sometimes he will cry non-stop till I attend to him..

I also dun know why..
Hi Veron,

Our kids are experiencing the same thing.

Last night, my DD whined & whined more than 5 times, hubby & I cant sleep well. This morning, my colleagues asked why I looked pale, I said tired !!! I ever asked gynae, she told me not to play with my DD too much so that she wouldnt get so excited.

veronica

My son yesterday cried again. Kept saying "bao bao" (carry). I ignored him and he cried even louder. Then my HB shouted at him asking him to keep quiet and sleep. He immediately crawled over me to his side and lied down.
:embarrassed:

veronica

Veronica, how old is your son? I think most children cry in sleep without knowing... by scolding them seemed abit harsh to me especially if they are still young. If words of comfort and a warm hug can calm them down, why not? It can be quite tiring for parents if the child does not sleep thru the night.... but this is parenthood...just bear for a few years..and very soon they might not even want us to hug them :)
My son is 2yrs. But see that he has been improving. Now he understands us and know what we are saying at times. I feel that at this age, they tend to try their luck on us. But seriously sometimes a harsh scolding is inevitable :)

Most nights, he will kwai kwai crawl back to sleep after some scoldings. So I guess it's more a habit than a need.