Any mummies practicing montessori with you toddler at home?

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi Mummies,

I'm interested to know if there are any mummies out there adopting montessori learning methods with your toddler at home. My son is coming to 19 months and I've been reading/ researching and adopting some montessori based learning at home.

Would love to share ideas or feedback on montessori activities with like-minded mummies. Looking forward for your reply :D

Ekari

Hmm, not me but I am very well hooked up with that idea already. Any idea where to start or what to look for?

chaw

I'm interested too. Could you share ideas?

Hi Mummies,

I'm interested to know if there are any mummies out there adopting montessori learning methods with your toddler at home. My son is coming to 19 months and I've been reading/ researching and adopting some montessori based learning at home.

Would love to share ideas or feedback on montessori activities with like-minded mummies. Looking forward for your reply :D

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi ladies... sorry for the very late response, seldom have the time to write posts lately..

For me, what I have done is more to practical life. I bought him a child size table and chair which he will use for his meals. usually he will eat first and i will accompany him eating and he will eat his desserts when me n hubby have our meals. I also use small size silverware, porcelain plate and a glass for his drink. There will always be spillage after meals and I will show him to wipe and ask for his 'help'. Ofcourse it wont be this ideal all time because as you know toddlers always move around and have very short attention span so I have to be super duper patient.... After his meals, he will carry his plate to the sink. I will wait for him there as I havent buy him any sturdy stool for him to climb and put the dishes in the sink. In a monstessori book that I read that should be the way but I'm still slightly uncomfortable with the idea (for now) as my son is only 20 months and we are living in a flat and I will definitely get paranoid if he starts to climb anywhere near the window (our sink is near the window) eventhough we have window grills. so yeah, maybe not for now.

other den that, i bought him a child size real broom which he will use and ask for it when my hubby do the housework. although his 'sweeping skill' is not 'there yet', we just want him to have the habit of taking care of himself (be independant) and respect his surroundings.

Nathaniel Mummy

As for 'education' wise, like anewmummy, it's not structured but we do organize toys on shelf according to its category eg. blocks, puzzles, music etc. As much as possible I will buy his toys made by wood as in montessori teaching it is best to have toys made by wood so that kids can really feel and appreciate the natural textures, smell and shades. Dont get me wrong but I still have those plastic toys at home which my sis pass it to me coz all her kids are grown up and gifts that my son get for his birthday... so im still not a strict montessori mummy

I also read for him a lot of books since he was 7 months old and he seems to enjoy it. I place 4 books in a basket that is easy for him to access so that he take it by himself and 'read' on his own. usually he will take these books and ask me to read for him, he has yet to start 'reading' independantly. I have also place other books in another basket which is not accessible to him, this is reserved for 'special' occasions like before sleeping time.. i did this to practice him into thinking that when you read these 'special' books you are going to sleep soon. This part here sometime it works and sometime it doesnt hahaha maybe because im not strict at limiting him wanting to read more books so even when he read these 'special' books before bedtime he wont go to sleep yet hahaha