Any mummies to share birthing experience at TMC?

ks76mummy

Hi! Just wondering if there are any mummies out here who had given birth in Thomson before?
Couple more weeks to my EDD and am feeling real scared! So would be good if anyone can share?
I understand we will be placed in observation wards prior to delivery? Is that the place we will have our epidural / drip etc?
Are hubbies allowed in for the epidural process? I can't imagine going through it myself....sigh...

Also, any important tips to take note?

Thanks a million! :)

hayashi43

i just delivered at TMC this March but mine was c-sect..my hubby accompanied me during e op, but he only came into e theatre AFTER i taken e epi, so i guess hubbies can only in after epi was taken?

ks76mummy

Hi hayashi,

Congrats on the arrival of your newborn! And thanks...yeap, I went to check with some friends too and they confirmed that husbands are not allowed in during epidural...

Haiz...am scared that I can't hold still due to the pain because my threshold of pain is very low...

kinkybaby

Hi babe, I just gave birth at TMC on Gd Friday. For my case my epi was done at the delivery suite, my hubby was asked to go out. I tink it depends on how early u asked for the epi :) Before going to the delivery suite I was staying at the observation ward to monitor the contractions. Hope that helps!

hi there

i given birth in Thomson Medical in Feb 2012.
my partner was asked to leave the observation room when i was being injected epidural.

a note: eat before requesting for the epidural.. bcoz you are not allowed to eat n drink after that... i was so thirsty then !!!

hayashi43

hi there

i given birth in Thomson Medical in Feb 2012.
my partner was asked to leave the observation room when i was being injected epidural.

a note: eat before requesting for the epidural.. bcoz you are not allowed to eat n drink after that... i was so thirsty then !!!
Hi do note that if u r having c-sect, u r not allowed to eat or drink 8-12 hrs b4 e op

ks76mummy

Hi all mummies,

Thanks so much for all the info...I have been messaging friends too to check haha and they also confirmed that hubbies are not allowed to be around during the epi...think it is the case at least for TMC haiz haiz...now can only keep fingers crossed cos I am very scared of injections and blood tests to begin with! :(

i guess it is for privacy.. during the injection of epidural, your whole back until your butt is naked and curtains are open up as they need more space during the injection.. so partners of all patients are not allowed in the room...

at least that's what happened to me...
when other patients are having epi injection, my partner is asked to leave the room too...

and also maybe bcoz you can't move at all during the injection, nurse will hold on to you. if your partner is the one that hold on to you, maybe not so steady.. so that's for health & safety reasons...

mine was injected in the observation ward.. it depends on when you asked for it.. think if you near to labour already, you can't take epidural...

ks76mummy

Hmmm I was hoping if my hubby hold on to me, I will feel calmer hahaha I was wondering if their observation rooms are for single use instead of shared among 4, do husbands have to leave the room? Keke anyway thanks for sharing!...guess there isn't any choice...

this is tough to answer because it really depends on individual pain tolerance.
if you are scare of pain, I think you will need epidural even though it might be abit uncomfortable and slight pain. because this will help you to relieve the labor pain...

it's like you want to take the pain (maybe less than 5 mins) or the contraction pain for dunno how many hours...

it's still down to personal preference. I only give birth first time with epidural, so I dunno how painful the real labor pain is. but that 1-2 hours contraction is really making me squirm.. it's very much like menses cramp, but alot more painful...

this is what the nurse advise. to take the epidural earlier. if not if you get too tired from all the contraction pain, later you might not have the strength to push..

also, for my case, I'm not sure if it's the same for others... when you request for epidural, you will still need 30 mins to an hour for the doctor to come administer the epidural...

noriskarma

Hey dear...i just gave birth on sept2011..not to worry abt the epidural pain...the contraction is more pain than epidural...u wun feel a thing...

My advice is...breathe in deep as u can when u feel pain n let go slowly..and also they have this gas for the ease the pain..use that when the gynae/doc inject the epidural...seriously. ..u wun feel the injection...

I did not let go the gas from the start @observation room till the moment my epidural starts to take over my body.......

ks76mummy

Dear noriskarma,

Thanks for the tip! Haha I will remember to HOLD on to the gas hahaha as me too like cyberie is scared...

Brenbelle

Any mummies experienced GA and c-sect? Heard that there are side effects of epidural, anyone experiencing? I will be delivering in another 4 months and is so afraid of pain too. :(

hayashi43

Any mummies experienced GA and c-sect? Heard that there are side effects of epidural, anyone experiencing? I will be delivering in another 4 months and is so afraid of pain too. :(
my delivery was c-sect with epi, so far dont know if there is any side effect, but might due to e result of carry and rock my bb too much, i will feel backache sometimes....anw, epidural is not THAT painful, e wound after c-sect or GA is more painful ba..>.<

Bluemit

I've chosen to deliver at TMC too, EDD 30 Aug. My threshold for pain is v low too, so still can't decide should I opt for natural or C-section. Worried that I might not have the energy n strength to go thru the whole process