Any ways to increase breastmilk?

Piglim

Hi all, I am a May mummy. My baby has been on total breastmilk a mth after birth. I must admit I wasn't diligent with e pump since starting work.. Now my daughter is 4mths plus. Any ways or chance to induce breastmilk? Or once it reduces it can't come back? ;( I took fenugreek, 2 tabs in e morning n 2 at night. Still no use. I guess it cld also be due to me eating lesser (trying to cut down weight) but is this (eating) the only way to hv milk? I drink 2litres if longgan tea everyday. Hope people who has abundant of milk can give advice.

Win Won

hi piglim,

go for natural food? oat with milk, papaya fish soup should helps.

alternatively, my nurse told me maxolon 10mg (which i used during first trimester for nausea) helps to increase milk supply.
i've not tried it but just fyi.

ast0212

Once it reduces it can always be increased. Even those who have stopped breastfeeding can relactate :)
Continue to pump or direct latch more often. More milk extracted = breasts produce more milk. Even every 40 minutes is fine. Rest well, stress less.
Foods: oats, linseed/flax, brewers yeast, fenugreek are good though it may not work on everyone.
Lots of cuddles with bub as that has a hormonal effect and does help in milk production. Carry bub in a baby carrier whenever you can :)

Piglim

Once it reduces it can always be increased. Even those who have stopped breastfeeding can relactate :)
Continue to pump or direct latch more often. More milk extracted = breasts produce more milk. Even every 40 minutes is fine. Rest well, stress less.
Foods: oats, linseed/flax, brewers yeast, fenugreek are good though it may not work on everyone.
Lots of cuddles with bub as that has a hormonal effect and does help in milk production. Carry bub in a baby carrier whenever you can :)

Hi ast0212

u mentioned more latching and pumping.. But does that mean I need to eat alot of food? I don't alot but I m not on a diet either. I know of folks saying u need to eat alot of food then more milk. When I delivered my son in 2012, my milk was way much more. But I think I also ate more. (ESP bread!) now second time mummy I didn't want to load myself with so much carbs. I drink lotsa soup and longgan tea and lotsa water.. But they say fluid no use.

I also heard of people stopping for 6mths then start bfing again (so amazing)

my breasts r also not big. Only a small B didn't even grow when I was pregnant second time. Didnt even leak when I latch one side. (Unlike my 1st pregnancy) no matter how frequent I pump, only can manage to squeeze out 50ml each side) and my daughter is alrdy drinking 180ml!! Had to buy a tin of formula to stand by cos when I work there may not be enuff milk for her to drink. ;(

I just bought mother's milk tea and fenugreek from iHerb in preparation for my delivery in Dec. You may go iherb and check it out. If you're a new buyer, just use my code VEW578
and you can get 5USD. Moreover, they have a promo now that if you order 40USD and above, you can a 10% discount on top of all purchases, ending on 15 Oct, this Wednesday so hurry!!!

Win Won

I just bought mother's milk tea and fenugreek from iHerb in preparation for my delivery in Dec. You may go iherb and check it out. If you're a new buyer, just use my code VEW578
and you can get 5USD. Moreover, they have a promo now that if you order 40USD and above, you can a 10% discount on top of all purchases, ending on 15 Oct, this Wednesday so hurry!!!
hi mistycloud, u going to start take both supplements during confinement?

I read that some mummies take it during confinement. I'm buying to prepare for standby. Delivering in Dec 2014 and I think I'll take the tea for sure.

Fenugreek only if I really don't have milk.

oildroplets

Take lots of fish, drink lots of fluid, drink milk for lactating moms, rest well and massaging the breasts. That's what I did for all my 3 kids. I had so much that I needed to borrow my parents' freezer. Give it a try.

ast0212

Piglim:883603 said:

Hi ast0212

u mentioned more latching and pumping.. But does that mean I need to eat alot of food? I don't alot but I m not on a diet either. I know of folks saying u need to eat alot of food then more milk. When I delivered my son in 2012, my milk was way much more. But I think I also ate more. (ESP bread!) now second time mummy I didn't want to load myself with so much carbs. I drink lotsa soup and longgan tea and lotsa water.. But they say fluid no use.

I also heard of people stopping for 6mths then start bfing again (so amazing)

my breasts r also not big. Only a small B didn't even grow when I was pregnant second time. Didnt even leak when I latch one side. (Unlike my 1st pregnancy) no matter how frequent I pump, only can manage to squeeze out 50ml each side) and my daughter is alrdy drinking 180ml!! Had to buy a tin of formula to stand by cos when I work there may not be enuff milk for her to drink. ;(
Hi pilgrim,
Breastfeeding can naturally make you hungry as it does take up a lot of calories but don't forget you have fat stores left from pregnancy! So it isn't necessary to stuff yourself with food, and it doesn't make you produce more milk. Just eat healthy and whenever you are hungry, like normal :)

Breast size also doesn't matter. Even some with huge boobs could possibly have smaller milk capacity, but big or small breastfeeding is possible.

Latching on directly is the best way for baby to get the most milk as they are more efficient than pumps. I've breastfed my 2 kids - 1st for 18 months, 2nd for over 2.5 years and with both I could never pump more than 60-80ml from both breasts combined! But I certainly had milk!! Don't go by how much you are expressing. Go by wet nappies, and overall health of baby, those would be the best indicators. If a baby is exclusively on bm and there is low supply the indicators would be yellow/dark urine, dry lips - generally dehydration and poor weight gain. But if your baby is peeing lots, looks alert and content, putting on some weight (doesn't have to be loads of weight), then all is good!!

Hope that helps :)