anyone act in person? i need advice!!!

hi everyone, i will be filing a divorce in Mar 10. as i didnt want to waste $ on engaging a lawyer, i will be acting in person, any1 did that before? pls advice me how do i writ for divorce, statement of claim & particulars etc? thx:)
qns 2: i have asked my x for a maintainence of any amt he wanted to give my daughter (i didnt want his maintainence for me), he rejected me immed. what should i do? if i dont take any maintainence from him, can i dont let him c my daughter? anyway, i have shifted back to my mum's place for nearly a year, he only requested to see my gal once...

malibu

hi everyone, i will be filing a divorce in Mar 10. as i didnt want to waste $ on engaging a lawyer, i will be acting in person, any1 did that before? pls advice me how do i writ for divorce, statement of claim & particulars etc? thx:)
qns 2: i have asked my x for a maintainence of any amt he wanted to give my daughter (i didnt want his maintainence for me), he rejected me immed. what should i do? if i dont take any maintainence from him, can i dont let him c my daughter? anyway, i have shifted back to my mum's place for nearly a year, he only requested to see my gal once...
Sorry that I've missed your post and I believe that the trial would have been over by now but no judgement from the Family Court judge yet.

I hoped everything went well so far.

Not sure if you know this but you could actually seek for legal aid (once) to help you draft a writ of divorce, state your claims, etc.

It is not wise to act in person unless you have some background in legal skills.

However, I could just give my pointers on how the layout of your claims could be:

1) Start off with a relevant header i.e. STATEMENT OF CLAIM FOR MAINTENANCE OF (your child/children name)
2) Address the legal issue here i.e:
"In pursuant to the divorce of (you and your ex), case reference no.(divorce case reference), I, (your name, NRIC) hereby state the following claims and requirement from the respondent/my ex husband (plaintiff and respondent are usually used when you are represented):
3) List down your claims and requirement/conditions with tags. e.g. i. ii. iii or 1. 2. 3.
4) End your letter with an appropriate legal footer like: "Unless the respondent is able to prove that the claims were unjust towards him, within 7 (Seven) days from the date this claim was submitted and made in court, in a written affidavit, I deem him agreeable with these terms and will lawfully abide to it and make out the payment for the claims duely and accordingly." (this is just an example)
5) Sign off with "Yours faithfully" signature and your name below your signature.

The above is just a rough idea on how the claims should or may be written.

Hope this helped (though it's a little too late)

Cheers,

Jameson - husband of malibu.

went to the Legal Clinic held by The Family Court in Jan & they advised not to act in person; similar reason as what you said. i've checked & for uncontested divorce, the cheapest i would get was like 1.5k. wanted x to pay for it since he's the 1 who betrayed & destroyed the marriage. of course, he wont wana pay a cent! so i guessed now i can do nothing except to wait for him to initiate? haix...

regards
shan

malibu

went to the Legal Clinic held by The Family Court in Jan & they advised not to act in person; similar reason as what you said. i've checked & for uncontested divorce, the cheapest i would get was like 1.5k. wanted x to pay for it since he's the 1 who betrayed & destroyed the marriage. of course, he wont wana pay a cent! so i guessed now i can do nothing except to wait for him to initiate? haix...

regards
shan
Hi Shan,

1) I don't get that 1.5K part? Were you referring to the legal fee?
2) You could still get him to pay for your child's maintenance if you are able to state all relevant evidence against him for being negligent to you, your children's needs and any other undutiful behaviour to win the judge over.
3) Have you checked if you could take on legal aid? That is provided you are not currently employed.
4) Have you ever wonder what happen if he does not initiate at all and the two of you remain as husband and wife on paper, how will it affect you and your future should you meet someone along the way? From how you describe it, he seems like a scum and a freeloader who fxxxx around all over the country and happily contributes his genes?

Do think about it. Sometime, initiating with strong statements and evidence actually beats getting the men to do it cos this way, you are putting the responsible to show balance of probability to him and the burden to prove that you are wrong in your statement. If your statements are true and solid, there's no way he can rebut.

Do give it a thought.

Try consulting any legal firm that deals with divorces. The first consultation is always free, ask as much as you wish. They only start charging you once you agree to engage them. Make full use of this loop hole.

Cheers,

Jameson - Husband of malibu.

Hi Shan,

1) I don't get that 1.5K part? Were you referring to the legal fee?
2) You could still get him to pay for your child's maintenance if you are able to state all relevant evidence against him for being negligent to you, your children's needs and any other undutiful behaviour to win the judge over.
3) Have you checked if you could take on legal aid? That is provided you are not currently employed.
4) Have you ever wonder what happen if he does not initiate at all and the two of you remain as husband and wife on paper, how will it affect you and your future should you meet someone along the way? From how you describe it, he seems like a scum and a freeloader who fxxxx around all over the country and happily contributes his genes?

Do think about it. Sometime, initiating with strong statements and evidence actually beats getting the men to do it cos this way, you are putting the responsible to show balance of probability to him and the burden to prove that you are wrong in your statement. If your statements are true and solid, there's no way he can rebut.

Do give it a thought.

Try consulting any legal firm that deals with divorces. The first consultation is always free, ask as much as you wish. They only start charging you once you agree to engage them. Make full use of this loop hole.

Cheers,

Jameson - Husband of malibu.
hi Jameson, for uncontested divorce legal fee, the cheapest i could find is 1.5k. i knew i can ask for alimony from him but i confirmed he won't give! if i didnt wan a single cent from him, can i request to change my gal's surname back to mine? i only knew that his consent is needed for my gal to change surname but not sure on the part if he doesn't want to give alimony, can i change w/o his consent?

honestly his gf is pushing him into marriage but he cant coz we haven divorce. thus sooner/ later, his gf will either leave him/ offers to pay for the divorce fees. @ least for now, am not prepared for another r/s; rather put all my effort in my gal. regarding legal consultation, do you have any to recommend me? the first consultation is nv free from what i've checked.

malibu

hi Jameson, for uncontested divorce legal fee, the cheapest i could find is 1.5k. i knew i can ask for alimony from him but i confirmed he won't give! if i didnt wan a single cent from him, can i request to change my gal's surname back to mine? i only knew that his consent is needed for my gal to change surname but not sure on the part if he doesn't want to give alimony, can i change w/o his consent?

honestly his gf is pushing him into marriage but he cant coz we haven divorce. thus sooner/ later, his gf will either leave him/ offers to pay for the divorce fees. @ least for now, am not prepared for another r/s; rather put all my effort in my gal. regarding legal consultation, do you have any to recommend me? the first consultation is nv free from what i've checked.
Hmm..strangely, my lecturer told me that 1st consultation is always free until you decide to engage the lawyer....

Nevertheless, you may wish to contact my lecturer Mr Deepak at:

Maximus Law LLC
131 New Bridge Road
#12-09 Chinatown Point
Singapore 059413
Tel: 6226 6922
Fax: 6226 5608

As your ex is currently alive and legally the father of your child, his consent is required unless he does not want the custody and from there, you may try to approve the change of surname and do a deed poll later on.

The cheapest rate in the market is around $990 as quoted by Regent Law. You can find out more at www.[B]regentlaw.com.sg[/B]

I believe that if you win the custody of your child, he is obligated to provide maintenance of your child under the Maintenance Act. As for alimony, well, him having a GF while still being married is already a valid point. That can be classified under betrayer to spouse/committing adultery. As long as you can prove your point, you are at a winning end.

Cheers.

Jameson

malibu

opps, i've done a check on some law firms recommended by my friends & they nv come free...thanks, will check it out:)
No problem.

Apparently, my lecturer's office might have moved due to Chinatown Point being under renovation.

Let me check with him and get back to you asap.

Cheers.