Anyone using bumwear?

newmum80

Does any mummies here using bumwear? I've recently purchased 6 sets of bumwear and plan to use it during the day, i normally do my laundry every 3-4 days once i seen a substantial load piling up. However, I wana know do you mummies wash the bumwear + insert daily? How many bumwear do you need a day (day + night)? How many times changing during the night? My son is 6 mths now. I am using it during the day and disposable at night.

meiteoh

Yes, I am - in fact, I'm cloth diapering Eva full-time with no disposables.

During the day, I'll change her every 3-4 hours (sometimes more frequently if she's had a lot to drink and such). I do my CD laundry every two days as per recommendation coz if you wait any longer, it'll stink. I'll rinse out the pee first and then dump in the washing machine for another prerinse before the actual full cycle wash coz I'm a stickler for keeping my CDs smelling clean. :p

As such, my CDs are washed separately from my regular laundry. No issues there with electricity or water bill. :)

For night time, I use another brand of CDs - Happy Heinys - with a bamboo insert and a microfiber doubler. This will go on her at 1130pm and come off her at 530-6am. Before that, she gets a regular day diaper at 7pm but sometimes there is no pee in it so we use it again at around 9am. In between, she has a BumGenius diaper with an insert and doubler because she tends to pee most upon waking up in the morning as compared to nap times during the day.

If you're planning on using Bumwear at night, you can try to use 3 inserts OR get bamboo/hemp inserts as they are more absorbant.

So far, my experience with Bumwear has been very positive. It can last four hours with two inserts and even then, it's not very heavy (meaning it can hold more pee) and more importantly, no leaks! :)

newmum80

Yes, I am - in fact, I'm cloth diapering Eva full-time with no disposables.

During the day, I'll change her every 3-4 hours (sometimes more frequently if she's had a lot to drink and such). I do my CD laundry every two days as per recommendation coz if you wait any longer, it'll stink. I'll rinse out the pee first and then dump in the washing machine for another prerinse before the actual full cycle wash coz I'm a stickler for keeping my CDs smelling clean. :p

As such, my CDs are washed separately from my regular laundry. No issues there with electricity or water bill. :)

For night time, I use another brand of CDs - Happy Heinys - with a bamboo insert and a microfiber doubler. This will go on her at 1130pm and come off her at 530-6am. Before that, she gets a regular day diaper at 7pm but sometimes there is no pee in it so we use it again at around 9am. In between, she has a BumGenius diaper with an insert and doubler because she tends to pee most upon waking up in the morning as compared to nap times during the day.

If you're planning on using Bumwear at night, you can try to use 3 inserts OR get bamboo/hemp inserts as they are more absorbant.

So far, my experience with Bumwear has been very positive. It can last four hours with two inserts and even then, it's not very heavy (meaning it can hold more pee) and more importantly, no leaks! :)
Hi Meiteoh,

Thanks so much for your reply. It is very informative. :)

May I ask where did you buy Happy Heinys and where can I buy the microfiber doubler? I only bought inserts but i guess 6 sets definitely not enought to last for a day. I was wondering how many CD do you use per day? It sounds like your Happy Heinys can long very long. My son pees alot and I usually have to change 2-3 hrs and if I am lucky max. 4 hr but that it will be soaking wet both his insert and bumwear. I hope to use CD during the night but the changing at night is a killer. Hence am still using disposable diaper which can last throught out the night.

I hope one day I can totally convert to CD and only use it when I'm outside.

meiteoh

I get my Happy Heinys and other brands (BumGenius, Blueberry and Fuzzi Bunz) from this store - http://www.whoopeekiddies.com/store

They sell bamboo inserts as well and you can use that in place of the Bumwear inserts. What you can do is maybe try out cloth diaper your son for one night just to see how it goes. If you have any issues then you can move back to disposables and relook at what needs to be changed. :)

In a day, I can use up to six or seven diapers depending on whether she really wets them or not. Since your son sounds like a heavy wetter, you may want to switch to bamboo, hemp or even cotton which can help to hold in more pee. :)

allycat

meiteoh, do u mean 6-7 inserts or CD? And how many CD and inserts do u have to full time CD? Actually I've just bought 4 CD and am going to try out too.

Last edited:

meiteoh

6-7 inserts and CDs as I'm using the pocket system (once soiled, both diaper and insert must be washed).

I have dedicated about 6-8 CDs for night time use (so I don't have to struggle to wash too often - adds to wear and tear) and about 18 CDs for daytime use. So I can wash every two days and not touch the newly washed ones.

The rationale in having so many CDs is that you don't wear them out fast with the constant washing and use. All my CDs go through around two to three days of "relaxation" before I put them on Eva's bottom. :)

meiteoh

Nope. I have about 4 bamboo and 1 hemp with a few more as spares. I'm using the doublers than came with the CDs when I purchased them (the ones I bought provided 1 one-size insert and 1 doubler).

The rest are all diapers with their respective inserts - I don't buy extra inserts for the daytime diapers as I make sure that I buy during promos or from brands that pack 1 diaper with two inserts (more value for money). :)

moonity

Meitoh mummy,

I am very interested in the cloth Diaper you mentioned. I am 1st time mummy and my baby is 2 mths old. Currently, I am still using the disposal diapers and I used around 4-6 per day.

Which brand would you recommend for a start BumGenius or Happy Heiny? How many would you recommend to purchase, say like 1 Happy Heiny comes with One Size Pocket Diaper and 2 Microfibre Inserts (1 small and 1 large). How many inserts and what type of inserts should I buy?

meiteoh

Both brands are good for day or night time diapering. If you're still not used to CDs, I'd suggest daytime diapering first - you'll need about 18-20 diaper sets (1 pocket diaper and 2 inserts). Happy Heinys has a better selection of colours and prints as BumGenius only comes in a few solid colours.

When your baby is older, you can get about four to five pieces and use one size (large) bamboo inserts which are more absorbent. Why I ask you to get this many is so that each diaper gets to go into a wash and then a rest day before the next use - less wear and tear, so in the long run, more mileage for each diaper. :)

Oh, if you like do try other brands - Happy Heinys is good for night time coz of the wide cut but Fuzzi Bunz, Mummy's Touch, Blueberry and Grobaby is good as well. For value for money in terms of quality and affordability, Babyland is okay as well. I'm leaning towards Grobaby at the moment coz it's an AI2 system (meaning you can reuse the shell twice to thrice a day if it's not too soiled) and the organic cotton inserts are snap on. But some people find that it's a little on the small side and the inserts can take a while to dry.

Just to update on my nighttime diapering - earlier I mention that I use Happy Heinys with a one size bamboo insert and microfibre doubler. It goes on now at 7pm and sometimes when I get up at 530am for a feed and check on her diaper, it's dry so it stays on. Just before we go to the babysitter at 7am, she's up already so I check her diaper. Out of 5 times in a week, about 2-3 times the diaper would still be dry - she hasn't peed in it - so I either let her continue wearing it or change to a daytime diaper and reuse the same diaper again at night. :p

In this aspect, a lot of pro-CD users say that it's easier to toilet train babies coz they can feel the "dampness" as compared to babies on disposable diapers whereby they don't feel anything.

allycat

I actually started with the brand Babyland (pocket diaper) as it is selling at $12 each and comes with 1 microfiber insert. So far ok for daytime but yet to try it out for night use.

meiteoh

allycat, if you don't mind buying from Malaysia, you can get a Babyland pocket diaper with two inserts for around RM30-35. Just need to add the shipping cost. What I did was buy a few pieces and have it shipped to my parents. Then I'll collect when I go there or they'll bring down when they come to visit.

allycat

Meiteoh, I've actually emailed the vendor but she's not replying my mail. Not sure what happened :(

meiteoh

Was it recently or a while back? Coz if it was a while back, she told me she (Sherynn) was in the midst of moving and had no Internet connection.

beerbelly

hi CD-ing mummies!

sorry to ride on this thread, but can i chk what laundry detergent u use for the diapers? any that can be bought off the shelf in Singapore?

thanks!!:tlaugh:

newmum80

hi CD-ing mummies!

sorry to ride on this thread, but can i chk what laundry detergent you use for the diapers? any that can be bought off the shelf in Singapore?

thanks!!:tlaugh:

i am using normal laundry detergent. Breeze. I never use baby detergent from since newborn stage till now. No issues at all. :)

meiteoh

I used to use 7th Generation Delicate for my cloth diapers as my previous baby detergent contains some optical brighteners (no no). It's recommended that you use a detergent that has no whitening stuff, no bleach, no softener and etc. Now I'm on Pureen HAD powder.

If you get Bumwear, Rita recommends that you try Country Save. You can also find detergent made by the people who makes BumGenius diapers - from whoopeekiddies.com.

Last edited:

Mummy to Baby V

My super-heavywetter 14-month old boy is cloth-diapered round the clock, including outings and travels.

We love Moo Moo Kow, Knickernappies, Drybees and Happy Heinys. Nowadays, I buy (Singapore brand) Moo Moo Kow as baby shower gifts as they are work very well and are great value. Review at First Giveaway: Moo Moo Kowâ„¢ One-Size Cloth Diaper! (Closed) |

For night-time, I prefer breathable fleece diapers on my boy, which avoid any rash. Fleece diaper with 2 inserts can last through 12 hours for him. Review at Drybees Fleece Pocket Diapers (Night-Time Diapering Solution) |

I love buying from BabeHause.com (Abby) and Whoopeekiddies.

I do my laundry daily (cloth diapers and baby / adult home clothes) in one load. Detergent is liquid Pureen HAD. Very clean smelling and diapers are fine after so many months.

In case of rainy days, I have many inserts on standby.

General guide:
from 4 months old, usage in 1 day: 4-6 day diapers, 1 night diaper, 6-8 inserts
if wash daily, multiply above by 2, to know roughly how many diapers / inserts to get.