Anyone using MooMooKow or Babyland cloth diapers?

mrs_eg

Hi mummies

Anyone using moo moo kow or babyland cloth diapers? I have a few questions to ask...

I have moo moo kow and babyland cloth diaper covers of many different colours... Ranging frm whites to dark blue n reds... But I was wondering if I can dump everything together to wash??? Will the colours run?? Do you normally wash it together with other baby clothes? And at what temperature of the washing machine do you use? The washing instructions were cold and warm temp... I wonder if 40degrees considered cold..?

I thank you in advance in helping with my queries...

meiteoh

If you're in Singapore, just regular room temp water is fine and the colours SHOULD NOT run at all. Cold/warm temp are for machines which have temp control which are not common here in SG, so I just wash my cloth diapers with normal room temp water and with my other baby clothes.

What's more important, IMHO, is not the temp of the water but the detergent you use.

mrs_eg

Thanx Meiteoh!

My washer does have certain temperature controls. And I tot it will be better with a little temperature so tat the clothes and diapers are well cleaned.. No?

So u use washing machine or u handwash?

Sorry whats IMHO?

meiteoh

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

Oooo, that's nice. I'm using a toploader hence why no temp. :( I use a washing machine as well (currently am using Samsung but am going use Hitachi at the new place). If your washer has temp then you can prerinse with cold water (40 C) and wash with warm/hot water (60 C). That way, it'll definitely keep your diapers cleaner. :)

mrs_eg

Ya.. Am using Brandt front load highest temp is 90... So u wash at 40 and 60 b4? No color run??? I used 40... But i separate dark n lights, cos afraid colors will run... But quite waste of time, energy n water to wash separately so I wanted to know if the colors will run... hehehe

Thanx anyway! I will dump everything together nxt time round!

Mummy to Baby V

My review on Moo Moo Kow diapers are at Review: Moo Moo Kow One-Size Cloth Diapers

For new dark colored diapers or any garments, I'll hand wash them once to check for colour-run. Once cleared, they go into the common load.

So far, I have no color-run issue with Moo Moo Kow's green diapers (I have 2 in green and 1 in white).

Cold: 30 degrees
Warm: 40 degrees
Hot: 60 / 90 degrees

Waterproof diapers such as Moo Moo Kow has a PUL layer. PUL comes in various quality. In my course of reviewing various diapers, I have found that several diaper brands can only withstand washes up to 40-degrees.

When washed at 60-degrees, the lower quality PUL (usually from cheaper diapers) starts peeling off or separating, after 3 to 30 washes. Moo Moo Kow is fine after 7 months of hot washes.

Yes, washing at higher temperatures keep diapers cleaner (better at removing poo stuck in fibre), but at the expense of spoiling the PUL faster. It also consumes about double to triple the energy.

I always wash diapers with our home clothes in a full load. At 60-degree wash, I found that our clothes damage faster. Many baby clothes can withstand up to 40-degrees only.

Therefore, I have recently lowered my laundry washing temp from 60-degrees to 40-degrees. The diapers are still as clean and line-drying under hot sun removes almost all stains. Once a month, you could do a 60-degree wash.

allycat

My helper currently handwash all the baby clothes and CD with normal tap water at night. But they get full benefits of the sun as they are only collected the next day in the afternoon. I guessed this should be OK, no?

xicloudix

I have babyland cloth diapers and many other brands (one each of other brands ) as i bought all sample to try out...

i dump everything together and soak with napisan (napisan recommends soak with warm water(60 degrees) if i am not wrong) before i wash again with kodomo detergent...

so far no colour run...

mrs_eg

Thanx to u all ladies!!!! Esp meiteoh n mievee! Always My "cloth diaper queries" saviours! Hahaha...

Xicloudix, where to get tis napisan? Is it specially for cloth diapers or for baby clothes as well?

Im currently using Pureen A-B-D powder form... Anyone using this? I only use 1/4 spoon cos the cloth diapers instructions say use 1/4 of normal amt of detergent (referring to baby detergent as well?)... But I wasnt sure if this will be clean enuf?

xicloudix

Hi, napisan from cold storage... $6.45, heard its selling at chinatown for $4.95 only, but i lazy go find... yes baby clothes and nappies....

ABD cannot use..... muz use HAD (out of production, hard to find) ABD has enzymes that will react with urine.... and then attack baby skin and will have rashes.... its written on the box

sometimes it will not write on the box itself whether it has enzyme, muz search search abit.... for eg tollyjoy if i am not wrong also have enzyme...

Mummy to Baby V

Hi ladies,

I have read from other forums before that Napisan could damage velcro tabs and PUL faster. Sometimes, the detergent that says ok for cloth diapers refer to traditional cotton square nappies, not modern cloth diapers with PUL / fleece / suedecloth etc.

Pureen ABD contains enzymes, so is not appropriate.

Pureen HAD is very hard to fine now, even in KL. (Pureen is a Malaysian brand.)
I have been using 1/4 cap Pureen HAD and the laundry comes out clean.

A safe way is to buy detergent meant for modern cloth diapers. I just bought Tiny Bubbles (by company that produces GroVia AI2) and would try it after my Pureen HAD runs out. It is more expensive than regular detergent, but only need to use a little, so 1 box should last a long while.

Soaking: not necessary for traditional or modern cloth diapers. In fact, soaking could reduce the lifespan of some PUL diapers. Simply spray away poo, put in dry pail and transfer into washing machine during wash-time.

Dry pail is also much safer with a baby in the house. No drowning hazard.

Handwashing: I have friends whose helpers handwash the cloth diapers. Just make sure they rinse the diapers very well to remove all trace of detergent. Otherwise, buildup would occur after some time. Then a stripwash would be needed. Alternatively, handwash then use machine to do 1 more rinse and spin-dry.

Laundry ball: Those with top loading washing machines can consider using laundry balls. Soak the laundry ball & clothes with water for 1 hour, then add the diapers in to wash. Example: The Green Pocket Laundry Ball (Manufacturer of these laundry balls uses modern cloth diapers on her daughter too and confirmed that they can be used. For other brands, please check with manufacturer.)

mrs_eg

Huh?!?!?! Oh no!!! Thanx for tellling me about the enzyme issue!!! I didnt know...

Yes the box does says it contains enzymes but they say it is suppose to be better at killing germs or smthing like tat !! Hw misleading!!!

I also naively tot ABD similar to HAD... so I bought the powder type... I prefer powder detergent actually.. Feels that it can 'last' thru more laundry. Even bought a box specially to store the powder... Sob... Guess it's going to go into waste...

So how?? Singapore dun sell Pureen HAD right?? So far only saw them in JB. Then napisan also probably will spoil the modern diapers as MieVee mentioned... There are brands like komodo, pigeon, and tollyjoy... All claim they can be used on nappies.... But how i know whether they are suitable for modern diapers?? Any other 'undesirable' ingredients that I need to look out for???

MieVee... Where to get tiny bubbles?? Online??? And also, what is Stripwash??

meiteoh

Just to share on Pureen HAD. Summit, the distributor for Pureen is no longer bringing in HAD (it's from the US) and stocks have been discontinued. If you see it on sale, it's old stock.

I'm actually going to switch to other detergent because I find that with Pureen HAD, I have to use A LOT (1 full scoop for 6-7 heavily soiled diapers instead of 1/2 or 1/4) to get my CDs cleaner which results in me strip washing my diapers more often. Am thinking of switching to either Country Save (from Bumwear) or Rocking Green (from distributor in M'sia).

The rule with detergent is no enzyme, no bleach, no softener, no whitener, no brighteners and so forth. If you cannot find those "special" detergent, then opt for the cheapest adult soap powder in the market like Kao Attack. The cheaper it is, the better it is because any added stuff like antibacterial, etc, etc costs money. :)

Last edited:

mrs_eg

Wow thanx meiteoh!

Even detergents used need to be researched on! Guess i need to do more 'read ups'!

Mummy to Baby V

After reading what meiteoh mentioned, it seems 1/4 cap liquid Pureen HAD works well at 40 - 60 degree wash, instead of cold wash. This reminds me that soiled diapers were less clean at my mum's place since the washing machine had no temp control.

Anyway, I bought Tiny Bubbles from Tiny Tapir :: Tip Tapping to Sustainable Living, based in Malaysia. They are the distributor for the co. that makes GroVia & Tiny Bubbles, so price is very reasonable.

You'd need to see if baby's skin is ok with your choice of detergent as every baby's different.

One stripwash method:
- put some liquid dish detergent into a pail of water (I used Pigeon baby bottles liquid detergent), agitate
- handwash each modern CD with buildup: rub the stay-dry layer (fabric against fabric) thoroughly
- turn CD inside out and rub the stay-dry layer against each other
- rinse at least 3 times until no more detergent bubbles
- put into washing machine and wash at 60 degree Celsius with NO detergent, rinse, spin-dry, line dry

That usually gets rid of buildup caused by diaper cream. (My boy poo-ed very often & had super-sensitive skin. Ideally, use only CD-safe diaper cream or add a fleece / disposable liner when using diaper cream.)

Last edited:

mrs_eg

Im so lucky to have you all... and to know all these before my baby is born!!! Anyway, I think Country Save seem to be the most within reach for me... Can order and pick up at Bumwear outlet in Singapore.... wil go try it....

Btw I found this website... not sure if u pros have seen it... but thought it might be quite useful for the rest... the only thing is that it is a US website... where some of the items are probably not found in this side of the planet.. hahaha... Detergent Chart for Use in Cloth Diapering

As for those diapers that I had initially washed twice in pureen ABD, wat do you think I shld do to 'save' it? really hope they are not damaged by my ignorant usage of detergent! do you think I shld do a "stripwash" before I wash again with proper detergent?

Mummy to Baby V

If you used little ABD on 2 washes, buildup from the softener should be minimal.
I'd suggest washing them at 60-deg once without detergent, rinse and dry.

(Since you are pregnant, avoid spending effort on stripwashing unless absolutely necessary.)

After the 60-deg wash and diapers are dry, use a dropper to drop some water on the inner layer. If water droplets go through easily or after a few seconds, it means no buildup.

If water droplet stays on the diaper, there could be buildup. Put it on baby and let him pee onto it for the real test. If pee flows out of the diaper without wetting insert, then try stripwashing. (Make sure diaper fits baby snugly at thigh, else pee would also leak without being absorbed by insert.)

xicloudix

I am using kodomo now,, so far so gd no build up... at first was using tollyjoy, realised there is smell and check... saw there is enzyme therefore switch to kodomo...smells nice