Apply leave or mc for pregnancy checkups?

Mojito83

Hi, I've been v upset lately cos I recently went for my 20 weeks scan on a weekday (bcos cannot get appointment slot for weekend) and my gynae gave me mc.. When I submitted it, my boss told me to apply leave instead. :(
My gynae clinic opens on Saturdays but it is always difficult to get a slot... Also, there's surcharge for Saturday visits. I hv gone for several times on Saturdays so I dun affect my work but I know that as the pregnancy progresses, I'll hv to go more often and it not always possible to be on a Sat. If it falls on a weekday, must I really take leave even if my gynae offers to cover me with mc??
I really dun wish to take annual leave for the checkups and at the same time, paying extra for Saturday consultations can be taxing. Can anyone share ur experience on this and advice? Many thanks.

diza

Definitely medical leave and not annual leave.. For next appt, no need to tell ur mgt u are going for routine check. Just submit the next working day and tell them u are not feeling well and need to see gynae.

Alisa

its yr entitlement, don get bully by yr boss. my boss always ask me, check up full day ya? i said yes! i will be given MC that day, why should i come back to work?

ourjollycompanion

I always try to arrange for check up after work or weekend. But there are also days when time can't meet. So whenever I have to go for weekdays check up, gyane will issue MC too. In order not to affect work too much, I will try arrange check up in the afternoon, so only half day will be affected. Although we agreed that if there is MC, MC should be valid. But it all depends too.

According to MOM website:
"The employer has the discretion to accept medical certificates from:

• A private doctor; or
  • A traditional Chinese medical practitioner."
Sick Leave

Check with your HR.

Mojito83

Thanks sisters

Thanks for all ur advices. I wouldn't keep taking mc if I can arrange for Saturday appointments but sometimes it's just not possible mah. My boss is married but no kids so she dun understand. Sometimes I feel that she is overly calculative. I think if this happens again (appointment happen to be on weekday) then I will just throw mc instead of saying I go check up. :D

Meowmummy

i usually take mc, after that i go relax, and go for body massage. Your boss seems not very understanding, when she got chance to be preggy she will know. We pregnant ladies suffer a lot, physical, hormones changes.
From morning sickness to backache..etc.
Don't be overly bother by this, just take a day mc and rest!

msck

Yup. If u really worry abt work then say afternoon u got to go medical appt. Appointment sounds more serious than checkup. Lol. So dun say checkup. Lol

Qookie

Where i used to work, i just submit an MC and not turn up that full day. Anyway if you count transport time and waiting time, it would take up almost half a day already!

It's your right as an employee. Don't waste your annual leave, it's very precious, especially when your baby comes.

Hopefully it'll work out for you. Good luck! ;)