Are play mats useful?

Xmasbaby

I still cant decide whether to get a set of play mats for my baby...

1. Are they useful?
2. Is it hard to maintain the cleanliness?
3. Should I get "0-9" (10 pcs) or "A-Z" (26 pcs)?

Hope you can share your experience with me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mirth183

Hihi!

I was thinking of buying between the puzzle kind of playmat and the bumper mat, before deciding on the parklon bumper mat. Did not regret my decision as the parklon mat is:
- colourful (the design was stiking and my kid loved it)
- safe ( abt 12mm thick and has quite good cushioning)
- best of all, it's easy to clean (my kid accidentally pooed on it and i just had to wipe it with baby wipes. No traces of poo poo left on the mat, just smell)

I read from other forum that the puzzle kind of mat may contain poison and not good for babies as they like to lick the mat when they flipped over or may start to pluck out the numbers and chew. Furthermore, the puzzle mat is not as easy to clean.

But the puzzle mat is very much cheaper than the parklon mat (i bought mine at $125)

jsut my two cents worth. :)

Xmasbaby

Hi mirth183, very good information, thanks for your sharing! :D

Sounds like it's worth the investment. Most importantly, the health issue for our little ones. Where did you get your parklon mat, Kiddy Palace?

mirth183

I got it from an online shop. You can try these two:

Bumper Mats
Small Small World

I bought the poporo 1300mm X 1400mm, just nice in the living room of my 4 room flat. Best thing is, it comes folded in a bag, easy to store when baby doesnt use it anymore. :)
I saw cheaper ones at kiddy palace and mintoons, but theirs are only one sided and the quality doesn't seem too good to me.. :)
Hope you'll find the one that you like.. :)

ziggyy

Alpha Male
Hi,

Just to add on. Feel the mat and get the smooth ones.

I bought mine from an online source, good quality, thick and good pricing but the surface is a little rough, so we always have to wear long pants/ knee pads for our baby.

Xmasbaby

Hi,

Just to add on. Feel the mat and get the smooth ones.

I bought mine from an online source, good quality, thick and good pricing but the surface is a little rough, so we always have to wear long pants/ knee pads for our baby.
Thanks, ziggyy. That's a very important point. :)

Xmasbaby

Just for sharing, I ended up buying the sport mats at Kiddy Palace: 24" x 24" x14mm x4 pieces. I bought bright yellow. It brightens up my baby's room. It is quite soft and looks durable. Most importantly, my baby likes it. :)

Due to budget constraint, I think this is the best that I can find comparing with those selling at Fairprice. Those at Fairprice are only 10mm. Those educational numbers and alphabets look good but I feel that it is too troublesome to fix (too many pieces) as I always remove to mop the floor.

annmthomas

I got the large foam puzzle mats for my son from Kiddy Palace & the bab mat from ikea. It took him awhile to get used to the ikea mat coz it's quite rough. :/ contains poison? He puts everything in his mouth!! Though am yet to see him lick the foam mat. Shall keep a lookout. Thanks for sharing the info.

Hihi!

I was thinking of buying between the puzzle kind of playmat and the bumper mat, before deciding on the parklon bumper mat. Did not regret my decision as the parklon mat is:
- colourful (the design was stiking and my kid loved it)
- safe ( about 12mm thick and has quite good cushioning)
- best of all, it's easy to clean (my kid accidentally pooed on it and i just had to wipe it with baby wipes. No traces of poo poo left on the mat, just smell)

I read from other forum that the puzzle kind of mat may contain poison and not good for babies as they like to lick the mat when they flipped over or may start to pluck out the numbers and chew. Furthermore, the puzzle mat is not as easy to clean.

But the puzzle mat is very much cheaper than the parklon mat (i bought mine at $125)

jsut my two cents worth. :)

endlssorrow

Alpha Male
BabySpa is selling a few..

Popular bookstore also selling like A-Z or numbers...

That time tampines Giant also selling..

I find it quite useful..

monsterlim

one thing about the puzzle mat is that kid like to dismantle it ...then u have to spend time to put the pieces back.

for bumper mat, it is colourful and soft.