Are you a stickler for the use of correct English?

JaneBower

Does it annoy the hell out of you, when someone doesn't use punctuation? Or spell correctly? Doesn't use paragraphs? (a pet hate for me).

Or, what annoys you generally about people.

Tell me your gripes. Unload them all here. Smile

KomaTexada

I know that people not using "its" and "it's" drives my Dad up the wall, but I'm willing to let it slide. The English lexicon isn't a fixed thing. It shifts around, going into all the nooks and crannies that it really shouldn't be getting into, and an errant apostrophe isn't going to stuff up the sentence too much.

However, the local library of all places posted something on Facebook that said "we're nearly their" and that ruined my day.

MissEverly

It's understandable to have certain pet peeves when it comes to language usage. Different words and phrases tend to gain popularity and get overused in different periods, and it can become repetitive at times. While it's important to strive for clear and effective communication, language does evolve, and new words or phrases emerge.

If you're looking to improve your English skills or specifically preparing for the IELTS exam, https://practicalielts.com/ is a valuable resource. They offer practical tips and guidance to help you enhance your language proficiency and succeed in the exam.

Remember, language is a dynamic and ever-changing aspect of our communication. It's all about finding a balance between clarity, expression, and adaptability.