At what age & how do u train ur child to sleep alone on his/her own bed?

JJDad

Hi all, as per question in the title. Pls share ur experience and tips.

My son currently can only fall asleep when I am sleeping beside him. He dun want to sleep on his own. He is reaching 4 yo in 2 mths time. Is it still too early to let him sleep on his own?

My boy is 2yo, still slps with me. No intention to train him slp on his own till he is old enough to tell me he wants to have his own room etc. Im a superglue mummy. ^.^

my nephew told my sis he wants to sleep on his own at 7.5 yrs old. before that either maid or my sis company. don't worry about this, when your son is ready he will let you know.

Sidni

I moved my son to his own bedroom when he was 2 yr old. I was expecting at that time and I wanted him to grow independent of me as I was trying to make room for a crib for the new baby in my bedroom.We decorated his room together and he loved sleeping there on his own. At first he would get up at night and come to my bed for a while but after a while he slept soundly all night.

whitecatz

I moved my daughter to sleep in her room at 4-5mths. Co-sleeping does not work for us because she is a very active sleeper (rolls and kicks everywhere!) and a very noisy one :(

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on how old they need to be to sleep in their own bed/room. More like what works for your family. For us, our sleep and my husband and I's privacy takes precedence. no matter how young, there will be a way to put them in their own bed sleeping without tears. Just do it real slow and make it sound fun.

Maybe get him to sleep on a separate mattress in your room first, then you move with him into his room (make is really his - get him to help decorate etc), and sleep there in separate beds for a while then move out.

ling.er

My boy is 15mth now.. I plan to train him to slp by himself on coming 24mth... But he was sleeping in Yaolan... He is a active boy.. in bed he dun wan slp keep sit up in mid of night.. try many way ard no choice gt to place him back to yaolan...

ANy way to train him slp alone on mattress Or bed??

My 3 yr old sleeps on her own. my 2 yr old too. Sometimes I allow them to sleep together, but if too giggly, I separate them and they fall asleep very fast. lol

There's no right age to independent sleeping. Most times it's the parents who feel more insecure abt it than their kids. :p don't worry, kids are resilient beings. :) they'll be fine sleeping on their own.

raeka

My boy too , must sleep with me .. guess is a long period of time .. well , i love sleeping with my boy..

whitecatz

I think just do what works for you and your family and not to worry about what is "norm" or what others say. I mean, do you see a teenager wanting to sleep with mummy and daddy? There will come a time when they will want to sleep on their own and want their own room, whether you actively do something or not.

So long as it works for you and your family; everyone is getting enough sleep, you have your private time with your hubby.. everyone happy :)

My girl suddenly developed separation anxiety when she hit 18mths a few weeks ago. I'm back to sleeping in her room for a while. :( Sigh.... I miss my own bed..