avent vs medela

soulnezz

im torn between these two breast pumps. is it better to go for double or single pump? ive heard that medela even though good, is very noisy. the avent has a good IQ system but the DUO one is too ex for me....

advice please?

diymummy

Go for double. Saves time

I used Medela Mini Electric before. Yes it is super noisy compared to Ameda Lactaline.

My Avent one was single pump and manual.

babylegs

Medela has a few models. I suggest you can go research around because my friend is using freestyle and its quite quiet..
She bought hers from mumsandbabes because she actually was researching around and she went back to the same shop a few times and each other the staff there is very friendly..

I heard that they are online now.. Welcome to Mums & Babes
i tink.

but still suggest that you go down to actual shops of mumsandbabes.. and maybe if you can wait, for the taka fair..

adelynn

im torn between these two breast pumps. is it better to go for double or single pump? ive heard that medela even though good, is very noisy. the avent has a good IQ system but the DUO one is too ex for me....

advice please?
IMO there is no 'better' model between the 2 brands, it is largely dependent on individuals. For me personally, Avent seems to yield more milk whilst Medela is doing a 'poorer' job at that for me. (Avent can yield 180ML to 260ML whilst Medela yield 40ML to 90ML) Best if you can trial before deciding by understanding more about each brand/model & if you have friends or family who have the various brand/model to loan you for trial.

As for Medela, the noise for the PIS & freestyle range is significantly lesser than the other models

Double pump is more time efficient but i went for single as cost was another big consideration for me :)

Ivy Miao

So Avent breastpump is better?? Im still thinking which brand to get. Also, manual or electric better?? Im getting single pump though..

adelynn

So Avent breastpump is better?? Im still thinking which brand to get. Also, manual or electric better?? Im getting single pump though..
I won't put it as better; but works better for me. However, many of my friends yield more from Medela as compared. It's trial an error

I would vote for electric, gets me through the sleepy nights without having to do much 'work' other than switching it on and closing my eyes to rest :)

camom

I have a dual Ameda Lactaline electric and an Avent Isis manual. The dual electric is gd cos it cuts down on the amt of time I require to pump, esp in office. At home, I use the manual cos too lazy to lug the pump and accessories to/fr work.

I think it is also a matter of getting used to it. The manual is gd cos I can control the speed/intensity. Cons is hands get very very tired after some time. Initially I could draw more milk using the manual but as time passes, I find that my electric pump does as gd a job in extracting milk.

Ivy Miao

I won't put it as better; but works better for me. However, many of my friends yield more from Medela as compared. It's trial an error

I would vote for electric, gets me through the sleepy nights without having to do much 'work' other than switching it on and closing my eyes to rest :)

Right! I will get Avent electric pump then. :wink: Oh! How bout Pigeon electric pump? Anyone use them before?? Was thinking since i'm getting pigeon 3-in-1 sterilizer, pigeon and Avent bottles, Pigeon detergent, must well get everything fron Pigeon brand.. :tlaugh:

Mummy, if you use electric pump, close your eyes and fall asleep, how?? :beek: Will all our milk be pumped dry?? Is there limit amount of milk we can supply per day? should I get milk formula to stand by? Which formula is best?

And if Im breastfeeding, can I change to formula milk powder or do it alternatives?

Thanks for your advise.. Greatly appreciated! :notworthy:

adelynn

Right! I will get Avent electric pump then. :wink: Oh! How bout Pigeon electric pump? Anyone use them before?? Was thinking since i'm getting pigeon 3-in-1 sterilizer, pigeon and Avent bottles, Pigeon detergent, must well get everything fron Pigeon brand.. :tlaugh:

Mummy, if you use electric pump, close your eyes and fall asleep, how?? :beek: Will all our milk be pumped dry?? Is there limit amount of milk we can supply per day? should I get milk formula to stand by? Which formula is best?

And if Im breastfeeding, can I change to formula milk powder or do it alternatives?

I have not experience with the Pigeon electric pump; thus i cannot advise you :)

When you are using the electric and fall asleep (for me i am not really in deep sleep, still have some awareness) there will be a point where your breasts are 'emptied' and the amount of milk will reduce. Your body will be able to self regulate after some time and your supply will go up to meet the demand of your baby/amount that you are expressing.

I think in the initial days before the supply kicks in, you will not yield as much milk but the recommended is to feed baby on demand and latch on as and when the baby is hungry to get your supply going. So technically, your milk should not 'run dry' nor a limit to the amount of milk you can supply each day.

i totally breastfeed my girl and like all first time mum, i am also worried that i may not have milk for my girl and contemplated getting a can of milk powder to 'stand by' i ended NOT getting that can of milk powder as i do not want it to be a deterring factor, or a convenient solution to fill up my girl. I had the faith in my body and myself that somehow i will have enough to feed my girl if i am persistent in latching on whenever she demands for it. (and i MADE it :) ) - I have not yet introduced formula to my girl, thus cannot advise you which formula is better.

I know of mummies who alternative formula and breastmilk. In fact, this is what my mummy recommended for me to do, citing reasons such as if in the event i need to feed formula, my girl will not reject formula. IMO, it is the preference of the parents and you may do it if you want to but i made that personal choice NOT to introduce formula. (yet)

Hope this helps :)

Ivy Miao

I have not experience with the Pigeon electric pump; thus i cannot advise you :)

When you are using the electric and fall asleep (for me i am not really in deep sleep, still have some awareness) there will be a point where your breasts are 'emptied' and the amount of milk will reduce. Your body will be able to self regulate after some time and your supply will go up to meet the demand of your baby/amount that you are expressing.

I think in the initial days before the supply kicks in, you will not yield as much milk but the recommended is to feed baby on demand and latch on as and when the baby is hungry to get your supply going. So technically, your milk should not 'run dry' nor a limit to the amount of milk you can supply each day.

i totally breastfeed my girl and like all first time mum, i am also worried that i may not have milk for my girl and contemplated getting a can of milk powder to 'stand by' i ended NOT getting that can of milk powder as i do not want it to be a deterring factor, or a convenient solution to fill up my girl. I had the faith in my body and myself that somehow i will have enough to feed my girl if i am persistent in latching on whenever she demands for it. (and i MADE it :) ) - I have not yet introduced formula to my girl, thus cannot advise you which formula is better.

I know of mummies who alternative formula and breastmilk. In fact, this is what my mummy recommended for me to do, citing reasons such as if in the event i need to feed formula, my girl will not reject formula. IMO, it is the preference of the parents and you may do it if you want to but i made that personal choice NOT to introduce formula. (yet)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks adelynn mummy... I shall stick to breastfeeding and not fall asleep when pumping out milk. Because when Im asleep, Im a deep deeeep sleeper. Afraid I wont hear baby crying for milk. :eek:11: Also, im so near to due date. Is there anything I need to take extra care when baby return home the first day?? Because Im not staying with mum or mother in law. Hired just the day time nanny. Thanks!

adelynn

Thanks adelynn mummy... I shall stick to breastfeeding and not fall asleep when pumping out milk. Because when Im asleep, Im a deep deeeep sleeper. Afraid I wont hear baby crying for milk. :eek:11: Also, im so near to due date. Is there anything I need to take extra care when baby return home the first day?? Because Im not staying with mum or mother in law. Hired just the day time nanny. Thanks!
I was like you, afraid that i may not hear my baby crying for milk so i set alarm clock for every 2 hours and waited for her to wake up and cry for milk (soon found out that her 'schedule' is approximately every 2.5 hour to 3) but i soon realized that it's a motherly instinct that no matter how tired you are, you will be able to hear your baby's cry. I was able to hear my girl cry in my parent's room and all she did was give 1 squeal at 4AM was enough to wake me up and going to her.

Jia You on your breastfeeding plans.

Hmms, as for anything to take extra care, i think if you have prepared for your baby's arrival, you should be fine. Don't be too stressed and take thing as they come along. If the thing you need is not available, then get hubby/CL to buy. If you intend to breastfeed, get a good nursing bra and breast pads.

From my experience (and some of my friends) my girl was slightly cranky the first night home, refusing to sleep and kept wanting to be carried and cuddled. My mum says due to first night in strange place (not adjusted yet) and the baby's still adjusting to the world as well. My advise to you during the initial weeks is to focus on yourself and your baby. Other stuff like housework can slide, you need to get sufficient rest, so SLEEP when your baby's sleeping. This way, you will have energy to look after her. And eat well, drink lotsa fluids (good for milk production)

Enjoy your little one and look forward to the day where you hold your baby in your arms. The feeling is unforgettable :)

Ivy Miao

I was like you, afraid that i may not hear my baby crying for milk so i set alarm clock for every 2 hours and waited for her to wake up and cry for milk (soon found out that her 'schedule' is approximately every 2.5 hour to 3) but i soon realized that it's a motherly instinct that no matter how tired you are, you will be able to hear your baby's cry. I was able to hear my girl cry in my parent's room and all she did was give 1 squeal at 4AM was enough to wake me up and going to her.

Jia You on your breastfeeding plans.

Hmms, as for anything to take extra care, i think if you have prepared for your baby's arrival, you should be fine. dont't be too stressed and take thing as they come along. If the thing you need is not available, then get hubby/CL to buy. If you intend to breastfeed, get a good nursing bra and breast pads.

From my experience (and some of my friends) my girl was slightly cranky the first night home, refusing to sleep and kept wanting to be carried and cuddled. My mum says due to first night in strange place (not adjusted yet) and the baby's still adjusting to the world as well. My advise to you during the initial weeks is to focus on yourself and your baby. Other stuff like housework can slide, you need to get sufficient rest, so SLEEP when your baby's sleeping. This way, you will have energy to look after her. And eat well, drink lotsa fluids (good for milk production)

Enjoy your little one and look forward to the day where you hold your baby in your arms. The feeling is unforgettable :)

That's good advice! Thank you, Adelynn mummy.. I just came back from Kiddy palace! Spent 1k on baby stuff... I've got pampers brand for NB, all in pigeon brand..
1) sterilizer
2) Milk warmer
3) Wet tissue
4) Milk bottles x3
5) Laundry detergent
6) Milk bottle detergent
7) single electric pump

Avent Brand
1) Bottle brush

Tommee Tippee Brand
1) 3 Milk bottle

Got Kodomo baby powder
Sebas Med for shower foam, lotion, facial cream, nappy cream
some mittens and socks with clothing..
Lotsa stuff to wash tml!!

All these should keep my going for the first week when bb arrive, yes?

adelynn

That's good advice! Thank you, Adelynn mummy.. I just came back from Kiddy palace! Spent 1k on baby stuff... I've got pampers brand for NB, all in pigeon brand..
1) sterilizer
2) Milk warmer
3) Wet tissue
4) Milk bottles x3
5) Laundry detergent
6) Milk bottle detergent
7) single electric pump

Avent Brand
1) Bottle brush

Tommee Tippee Brand
1) 3 Milk bottle

Got Kodomo baby powder

All these should keep my going for the first week when baby arrive, yes?
feels good to prepare & do baby shopping isn't it? from the looks of it, u're almost done preparing. rem not to buy too many NB clothing, they outgrow very fast.

did u buy cloth napkins? they can be used either as a 'folded pillow', swaddle cloth or simply to line whatever surface you baby will lie on other that his/her bed. not complusory item though :)

soulnezz

Hi mummies,

thank u so much for ur advice. in the end i went for the Avent one cos that time got promo and its within my budget. its a single electric pump though. but i like their IQ system and their VIA cups.

maybe during stay at hospital will ask to try out the medela double and see how it goes.

shiyi

did you buy cloth napkins? they can be used either as a 'folded pillow', swaddle cloth or simply to line whatever surface you baby will lie on other that his/her bed. not complusory item though :)
hi my mil bought cloth napkins and napkin liners..not sure how to use them thou

adelynn

hi my mother in law bought cloth napkins and napkin liners..not sure how to use them thou
The instructions to fold them should be on the packaging label? No?
You may refer to Cloth Diaper Folding - I Heart Diapers for instructions/pictures as to how to fold them. Refer to 'Origami fold' - You can fasten the origami fold with the traditional baby pins (i am lazy and use diaper covers)

Another method of folding, using the modern day faster that looks like a T (or Y) shape plastic fastener. Refer to Folding Instructions

Another method of folding using diaper covers - Refer to The Diaper Hyena - Diaper Folding 101: Newspaper Fold with Chinese Prefolds and then use hold in place with diaper cover.

As for the liners, whichever method you chose, after folding just lay the liner on top of where the butt will sit and then fasten. When the diaper is soiled/due for changing, throw the liner away and re-wash the cloth diaper :)

Hope this helps

Ivy Miao

feels good to prepare & do baby shopping isn't it? from the looks of it, you're almost done preparing. rem not to buy too many NB clothing, they outgrow very fast.

did you buy cloth napkins? they can be used either as a 'folded pillow', swaddle cloth or simply to line whatever surface you baby will lie on other that his/her bed. not complusory item though :)
Haha! I dont feel like leaving the kiddy palace. Didnt buy alot baby clothes. How bout bibs?? How many should I get? Didnt get cloth napkins. Will get a few pieces the next round. Also, how many facial towels and shower towels you bought for your little one?

adelynn

Haha! I dont feel like leaving the kiddy palace. Didnt buy alot baby clothes. How bout bibs?? How many should I get? Didnt get cloth napkins. Will get a few pieces the next round. Also, how many facial towels and shower towels you bought for your little one?
i got the mothercare plain white bibs in a pack of 5 (if i remember correctly) but to be honest, i rarely use them. Maybe because i mostly do direct latch on; on occasions which my hubby bottle feed her EBM, he prefers to use a facial towel under her neck. The times we use the bib is when we go out after her milk feeds we would wear it on for her, just in case she vomit milk out, won't stain her clothes. My recommendation is if you want to get bib is to get those which fasten at the side instead of at the back, easier to put on and remove :wesmile:

Shower towels i have 3 (bought from mothercare again, in a pack of 3 - hooded towels) but my girl's stuff are washed on a daily routine. if you do not intend to do washing daily, you may want to get more just in case or in event of rainy day

Facial towels i bought mine by the dozen cuz they are multi purpose. i use quite a few pieces in a day (change frequently throughout the day) I bought mine during Robinsons or John Little Sale (cant recall) for 50cents per piece. Still come in nice pastel colours.

iwan2noe

I consulted a few professionals in the breastfeeding arena and was told that to get good yield of breastmilk(plus many other personal factors and external factors)...go for more established brands like avent, medela or hygeia if u heard of it. It is a US brand that is v good... and yes, medela is noiser..but if u prefer medela than any other brands and heard gd reviews from ur frens abt medela, go ahead..but dun ever consider buying manual pump as u will get really tired wor.. unless u have v tight budget constraints...else get a dual electrical pump... =)

HTH! =)

iwan2noe

1) sterilizer
2) Milk warmer
3) Wet tissue
4) Milk bottles x3
5) Laundry detergent
6) Milk bottle detergent
7) single electric pump

Avent Brand
1) Bottle brush

Tommee Tippee Brand
1) 3 Milk bottle

Got Kodomo baby powder

All these should keep my going for the first week when baby arrive, yes?
If possible, try to buy the liquid baby powder from kodomo. They are dust free and is better for ur baby...if u want to use powder use those made from cornstarch and avoid those made fr talc ;)
for tommee tippee, pls take note of the caliberation of their bottles...