baby 2 wks, how much bm to be expected?

cyssie

my baby is now 2 weeks and i am trying to maintain breastfeed at day time and formula at night as my breastmilk supply is very limited....

can experienced moms tell me how much bresatmilk is normally expected at this stage? For the past 2 weeks the max i got was 420 ml a day and the average is about 300 ml a day only..

each time my baby latch on for about 10-15 mins and I then pump out the milk in bottle (varying from 20 ml to 60 ml each time..sigh..so little)... is this the right way of doing it?

I begin to worry that i will not hold on to breastfeeding if the milk supply keeps decreasing... anyone can help?

NG HO

my baby is now 2 weeks and i am trying to maintain breastfeed at day time and formula at night as my breastmilk supply is very limited....

can experienced moms tell me how much bresatmilk is normally expected at this stage? For the past 2 weeks the max i got was 420 ml a day and the average is about 300 ml a day only..

each time my baby latch on for about 10-15 mins and I then pump out the milk in bottle (varying from 20 ml to 60 ml each time..sigh..so little)... is this the right way of doing it?

I begin to worry that i will not hold on to breastfeeding if the milk supply keeps decreasing... anyone can help?

Hi there..

10-15mins on each breast or both? cos if 10-15mins for both, its abit too short and ur baby is probably getting only the foremilk which is only thirst quenching but not filling. Anyway... if you are bottle feeding the remaining during the next feed i think it's still not so bad..

At 2 weeks, since your supply is not established yet.. you should pump or latch on also at night to up your supply. Your supply really depends on the demand of your baby.

There are many mummies eating this herbs call 'Fenugreek' (can get from pharmacy) or drink fish soup to up the supply.

At this stage, your baby is probably going for regular checks. Check with the nurses or doc to see if your baby is gaining weight well (although he/she may lose abit of weight in the beginning for a short while, which is normal).

If you are worried, you can call those lactation helpline.. KK has these free service (NOT the dial-a nurse-hotline). The nurse may advice you to monitor how many times baby poo poo & urine etc..

Porukadotzu

hi!
i have 1 mth 3 weeks old baby.
untill now i also still can only pump out 60 ml or even lesser each expressing..i try to express every 2-3 hour but the milk won't come out more than 40 ml...only if i never express for more than 3 hrs then can get 80 ml - 100ml.
Thou i already try to drink more than 8 glass a day and as much rest as possible.

So no choice, sumtimes i give my baby formula milk in between too so tat i can store milk more than 60ml. So in a day i can substitute one or two of the meals with formula atleast. During night time i nurse my baby directly coz troublesome to make formula milk or to express.. but bit troublesome to nurse her at night coz i would fall asleep and she also, then i can not timing how long she's been really drinking and how long she's been asleep..

i guess its ok as long as the baby weight increase.. and so far my baby increase 2.3 kg since birth and passing bowel regularly everyday..

danjuan

SORI! i use mandarian. Hope your don mind...

千萬不要將pump出來的奶量和寶寶吸的時間來做比較哦!!
這個是大忌!!!
很多媽媽就是用這個來比較…覺得自己不夠奶…那是錯誤的想法!!
你想增加奶量…就不要再給奶粉了…尤其是晚上…
晚上是乳房制造奶水更多的時期哦…要是你晚上給奶粉…乳房就覺得不需要制造奶水…而導致你的奶量會越來越少!!
這個也是大忌!!

坐月時…休息是很重要的…
可是哺乳就不是那麼簡單…寶寶很容易餓…所以媽媽就沒有很多的時間可以好好休息…
你要學著躺著喂…這樣你也可以休息哦!!

記得…你一定要讓你的寶寶吸…等滿月後…才開始存奶…如果你有工作的話…
加油哦!!不要放棄!!

cyssie

Hi there..

10-15mins on each breast or both? cos if 10-15mins for both, its abit too short and ur baby is probably getting only the foremilk which is only thirst quenching but not filling. Anyway... if you are bottle feeding the remaining during the next feed i think it's still not so bad..

At 2 weeks, since your supply is not established yet.. you should pump or latch on also at night to up your supply. Your supply really depends on the demand of your baby.

There are many mummies eating this herbs call 'Fenugreek' (can get from pharmacy) or drink fish soup to up the supply.

At this stage, your baby is probably going for regular checks. Check with the nurses or doc to see if your baby is gaining weight well (although he/she may lose abit of weight in the beginning for a short while, which is normal).

If you are worried, you can call those lactation helpline.. KK has these free service (NOT the dial-a nurse-hotline). The nurse may advice you to monitor how many times baby poo poo & urine etc..
I took fenugreek 3 times a day and was expecting my milk supply to go up but disappointedly it didn't... i know i should drink a lot of water to ensure sufficient milk supply but as i am still in confinement i can only drink red dates herbal tea instead..and the sweetness of the tea stops me from drinking too much as i get more thirsty after i drink it...sigh...

my baby has no problem latching on but each time he won't suckle for too long and i have no idea whether he actually suckles anything out from my breast or not..

are there anything that will counter the milk supply ? i don't know whether i accidentally eat something that will decrease milk supply such as ginseng etc. My breast milk is getting lesser and lesser. Each pumping of breastmilk is killing me when i see the little amount i pump out.

I heard that pumping out milk with ur hands is better than machine as it empties the breast better than breast pump. Anyone tried that? I tried but could not squeeze out more than a few drops only.

cyssie

hi!
i have 1 mth 3 weeks old baby.
untill now i also still can only pump out 60 ml or even lesser each expressing..i try to express every 2-3 hour but the milk won't come out more than 40 ml...only if i never express for more than 3 hrs then can get 80 ml - 100ml.
Thou i already try to drink more than 8 glass a day and as much rest as possible.

So no choice, sumtimes i give my baby formula milk in between too so tat i can store milk more than 60ml. So in a day i can substitute one or two of the meals with formula atleast. During night time i nurse my baby directly coz troublesome to make formula milk or to express.. but bit troublesome to nurse her at night coz i would fall asleep and she also, then i can not timing how long she's been really drinking and how long she's been asleep..

i guess its ok as long as the baby weight increase.. and so far my baby increase 2.3 kg since birth and passing bowel regularly everyday..
I had the same situation as u.... there is one time in the middle of the night i pumped out 100 ml .... i was so so so happy and thought my milk finally kicks in...but then 2 hours later when i tried again .... 20 ml..10 ml...sigh... during day time i tried to breast feed my baby and pump out breast milk for him... and at night i just instructed the confinement lady to give him formula...but each time after he drinks formula at night he still wants to be at my breast for a short while before he goes to sleep... my breast now is like a pacifier to him... and even more sad is that he seems to regonize my scent so whenever i carry him his head just turns to my breast and i am literally becoming a milking machine to him. If i don't put him on my bresat he will cry so loud. So basically i can't cuddle him and carry him like a caring mom but instead a milking machine lor. My confinement period turns out to be a very tiring period for me. I wonder how do people rest and regain their strength during confinement.

cyssie

SORI! i use mandarian. Hope your don mind...

千萬不要將pump出來的奶量和寶寶吸的時間來做比較哦!!
這個是大忌!!!
很多媽媽就是用這個來比較…覺得自己不夠奶…那是錯誤的想法!!
你想增加奶量…就不要再給奶粉了…尤其是晚上…
晚上是乳房制造奶水更多的時期哦…要是你晚上給奶粉…乳房就覺得不需要制造奶水…而導致你的奶量會越來越少!!
這個也是大忌!!

坐月時…休息是很重要的…
可是哺乳就不是那麼簡單…寶寶很容易餓…所以媽媽就沒有很多的時間可以好好休息…
你要學著躺著喂…這樣你也可以休息哦!!

記得…你一定要讓你的寶寶吸…等滿月後…才開始存奶…如果你有工作的話…
加油哦!!不要放棄!!
我的宝宝好像永远都吃不够。。。就算他已经吸了我的奶。。还是可以再吃上没吸奶前的分量的母乳或奶粉。。。

请问有没有什么药方可以很快增加奶量的吗?

danjuan

我的宝宝好像永远都吃不够。。。就算他已经吸了我的奶。。还是可以再吃上没吸奶前的分量的母乳或奶粉。。。

请问有没有什么药方可以很快增加奶量的吗?
不不不…這樣的想法是錯的…
寶寶還小…你給他…他當然會再吸…這樣會將他的胃撐大的哦…
我的小蛋卷現在14個月了…不到一個小時他就吸一次…
他在坐月的時候就這樣了…
你的寶寶剛出世…睡覺對他來說也是很重要的…
所以…你千萬不要去管寶寶吵要喝奶的時間…一個小時也好…半個小時也好…
他醒來吵要喝奶…你喂就對了…
你看看以下的thread

Anggugu Forum • View topic - Breastfeeding?Starting Out Right
Anggugu Forum • View topic - Is My Baby Getting Enough Milk?

沒什麼比給寶寶直接吸更多的來增加奶量哦…尤其半夜可是高峰期…這個時候更應該給寶寶吸…
雖然…你說你已喝了很多紅棗水…
可是心情是很容易影響奶量的…
我本身有綱店…開始生意不好時…壓力很大…
那個時候就算我喝再多的水…或煮湯來喝…都沒有用…
後來調整心情後…奶量自然就恢復…
我有個朋友最近才遇到一位也是煩腦奶量不夠…經過我朋友的鼓勵…她增加了信心…結果奶水源源不絕呢!!:wong23:
所以不會的情緒…影響很大的哦!!:07:
雖然我有賣nursing tea…但不鼓勵你現在喝…
給寶寶多吸…是最重要的…

或者你可以買黑芝麻粉放進milo一起泡來喝…有些媽媽喝了很有效的…
叫你的陪月婆用黑豆或黃豆放在湯裡一起煮…
這些也可以幫增加奶量的…

我還是想說的是…不要給自己壓力…不要看pump出來的份量…不要給寶寶喝奶粉…
記得要放輕鬆哦!!:wong19:

Porukadotzu

I had the same situation as u.... there is one time in the middle of the night i pumped out 100 ml .... i was so so so happy and thought my milk finally kicks in...but then 2 hours later when i tried again .... 20 ml..10 ml...sigh... during day time i tried to breast feed my baby and pump out breast milk for him... and at night i just instructed the confinement lady to give him formula...but each time after he drinks formula at night he still wants to be at my breast for a short while before he goes to sleep... my breast now is like a pacifier to him... and even more sad is that he seems to regonize my scent so whenever i carry him his head just turns to my breast and i am literally becoming a milking machine to him. If i don't put him on my bresat he will cry so loud. So basically i can't cuddle him and carry him like a caring mom but instead a milking machine lor. My confinement period turns out to be a very tiring period for me. I wonder how do people rest and regain their strength during confinement.
Hi cyssie,
nope you shouldn't feel sad coz your baby treat you like a milking machine, infact this is how mother and baby communicate (since baby can't express their feeling yet) and you should be glad that he/she looking for you for milk instead the bottle or worse your confinement lady ehehehe..
so don't worry, soon enough your bb will recognise you more than just milk milk to him..
Yes the 1st month was a living hell for me too haha.. longer sleep hour was a heaven to me, specially i'm taking care of my baby alone day and night.. lucky my inlaw doing the cooking for me otherwise i was surely skip eating for sure hehhe..
but the bright side, i can loose the pregnancy weight very very fast..haha..

now my bb almost 2 mth, she can sleep longer. means me too hehe..

cyssie

不不不…這樣的想法是錯的…
他在坐月的時候就這樣了…
你的寶寶剛出世…睡覺對他來說也是很重要的…
他醒來吵要喝奶…你喂就對了…
你看看以下的thread

雖然…你說你已喝了很多紅棗水…
可是心情是很容易影響奶量的…
我本身有綱店…開始生意不好時…壓力很大…
那個時候就算我喝再多的水…或煮湯來喝…都沒有用…
後來調整心情後…奶量自然就恢復…
給寶寶多吸…是最重要的…

叫你的陪月婆用黑豆或黃豆放在湯裡一起煮…
這些也可以幫增加奶量的…

嗯。。谢谢啊。。我有开始在试你说的方法。。。慢慢奶量有增加一点了。。:Dancing_tongue:

cyssie

Hi cyssie,
nope you shouldn't feel sad coz your baby treat you like a milking machine, infact this is how mother and baby communicate (since baby can't express their feeling yet) and you should be glad that he/she looking for you for milk instead the bottle or worse your confinement lady ehehehe..
so don't worry, soon enough your bb will recognise you more than just milk milk to him..
Yes the 1st month was a living hell for me too haha.. longer sleep hour was a heaven to me, specially i'm taking care of my baby alone day and night.. lucky my inlaw doing the cooking for me otherwise i was surely skip eating for sure hehhe..
but the bright side, i can loose the pregnancy weight very very fast..haha..

now my bb almost 2 mth, she can sleep longer. means me too hehe..
thanks 4 sharing ur experience...feel better now knowing that i am alone...appreciate ur support... another thing is...my confinement lady is leaving in 1 week...i can see the worse is yet to come,,,haha...wish me luck in surviving this....:shyxxx:

This is only the start, so don't worry if you think your milk is limited. To increase milk supply, gotta latch baby on more often, baby's suckling is more powerful than the pump. I read that the milk supply will stabilise at around the 5th week. Stress will also affect the milk supply, try drinking papaya and fish soup. Before you know it, your milk may start 'spraying' out and overflow..:)

Oh yah, just to add, since your baby now is 2 weeks old, feed as often as she/he needs, don't need to restrict to a fixed time of 10-15mins on each breast.I personally feels it can be stressful to time the feed, for every feed, I usually wait until baby unlatches himself.

Amulet

不不不…這樣的想法是錯的…
他在坐月的時候就這樣了…
你的寶寶剛出世…睡覺對他來說也是很重要的…
他醒來吵要喝奶…你喂就對了…
你看看以下的thread

雖然…你說你已喝了很多紅棗水…
可是心情是很容易影響奶量的…
我本身有綱店…開始生意不好時…壓力很大…
那個時候就算我喝再多的水…或煮湯來喝…都沒有用…
後來調整心情後…奶量自然就恢復…
給寶寶多吸…是最重要的…

叫你的陪月婆用黑豆或黃豆放在湯裡一起煮…
這些也可以幫增加奶量的…

powerful chinese!! haha.. are you from taiwan?

anyway, yeah.. wat danjuan said is correct..

but haiya.. howcome i didnt know black sesame powder + milo can increase BM ar? is it fattening? having milk supply crisis lately.. taking fenugreek + domperidone to increase the supply..

ways to increase milk supply, mommies can check out this webbi

kellymom.com :: Got Milk? ...milk supply issues

加油哦!!:Dancing_tongue:
p.s cyssie, don worry about ur baby treating u like milk machine.. my baby does that too.. n i always say, im machiam her personal dairy cow.. but heck! im enjoying every moment of it.. even those nightfeeds.. coz i know she is helping me to increase n maintain my milk supply.. :D

Last edited:

cyssie

my baby is now in his 6th week already...i had been looking forward that my milk supply would be stablised from the 2nd week...but now still unstable...i just wonder...i am not sure whether mine is sufficient.... for mothers who have good supply of breastmilk...how does it feel? does it mean that after each feed when baby sucks out all the milk...the breast becomes soft and empty..then soon the milk supply kicks in again and the breast becomes full again? my case is that if my breast is full for this feed...then not enough for the next hour feed....and also..don't know why my baby gets quite fed up with latching on lately...before i thought i was due to my low and slow milk flow....but when he cries off the breast i can see that milk is still coming out...so why is that? anyone has the same experience? he will dettach himself crying and kicking...and after 5 secs desperately looking for breast again...then detach again..then attach again.. so tiring....

Amulet

my baby is now in his 6th week already...i had been looking forward that my milk supply would be stablised from the 2nd week...but now still unstable...i just wonder...i am not sure whether mine is sufficient.... for mothers who have good supply of breastmilk...how does it feel? does it mean that after each feed when baby sucks out all the milk...the breast becomes soft and empty..then soon the milk supply kicks in again and the breast becomes full again? my case is that if my breast is full for this feed...then not enough for the next hour feed....and also..don't know why my baby gets quite fed up with latching on lately...before i thought i was due to my low and slow milk flow....but when he cries off the breast i can see that milk is still coming out...so why is that? anyone has the same experience? he will dettach himself crying and kicking...and after 5 secs desperately looking for breast again...then detach again..then attach again.. so tiring....
i think, he doesnt like the letdown la.. whn he pulls off, u see the milk flowing very fast right? maybe he having problem coping wiht it.. my baby used to do that too... now she out grows it already.. if u having a letdown, maybe u can pinch ur nipple abit for like 3 secs thn the letdown will stop le..
n try to catch his hungry cues early.. so that he is not frantic by the time u latch him on.. like lets say if normally he drinks 2 hourly, thn every 2 hourly or earlier, u try to latch him on n let him drinks see he wans anot..

if ur breast feels soft now, its normal coz ur body regulated the supply le ma.. how to see baby is having enough or not, see his output lo.. wet nappies, good poops, wet tongue n lips, bright n alert eyes.. all this are signs..

:D

here's an interesting thought. my nephew who is less than one month is now drinking 90mls per feed and gets hungry again very quickly. and my son who's 5mths struggles with 110ml. so every baby has different needs. like what many of the moms say - as long as bb's output is regular and gaining weight that's fine.

to prevent supply reduction, you may also want to avoid foods with maltose in it - milo, some choc biscuits - as malt may reduce supply. that said, some moms like milo as a warm hot drink helps with letdown. but u can have just warm milk w/o milo.

Amulet

here's an interesting thought. my nephew who is less than one month is now drinking 90mls per feed and gets hungry again very quickly. and my son who's 5mths struggles with 110ml. so every baby has different needs. like what many of the moms say - as long as bb's output is regular and gaining weight that's fine.

to prevent supply reduction, you may also want to avoid foods with maltose in it - milo, some choc biscuits - as malt may reduce supply. that said, some moms like milo as a warm hot drink helps with letdown. but u can have just warm milk w/o milo.
:err:i didnt know milo decrease MS! i have been drinkin that alot.. Australian recipe milo is yummy! oh no.. will look out from that now..

my DD now 7th months, only drinks 90ml.. tried to up her intake to 100ml, but she juz refuse to drink more.. haha..

Porukadotzu

i was exactly like this!
then my fren suggest me to pump out first untill breast half soft then latch on to baby.. coz if you latch on while breast feel hard your baby will feel like drinking from a "milk tap" hahha

but its true.. coz my baby will have this choked sounds coz milk flow too much.. tat means your milk flow actually ok la..

my mom read it somewhere. and after that i also found a recipe for reducing milk supply using malt sugar (mai4 ya2 tang2). yes i love milo too! i only stopped when my supply was low. now that it's pretty ok, i'll just drink. :)