Baby always fall asleep when breastfeeding.

Hi everyone, i am new here, has been bfg my baby since day 1, it has been 2 weeks alrdy, and he always fall asleep after 5 or 10 mins of feeding, i've tried all ways to keep him awake but still failed. was thinking of expressing out and feed him from the bottle, but do not know how much to give to a newborn. pls advise, thank you.

MizfitMumma

Hi everyone, i am new here, has been bfg my baby since day 1, it has been 2 weeks alrdy, and he always fall asleep after 5 or 10 mins of feeding, i've tried all ways to keep him awake but still failed. was thinking of expressing out and feed him from the bottle, but do not know how much to give to a newborn. pls advise, thank you.
Hi there.. its normal if baby tends to fall asleep while breast feeding. As for me, my son is lyk dat when d 1st tym I bf him. Dat tym, my son only took 30ml of milk for every 2 hrs.. Very tiring for me at dat tym.. Congrats on ur newborn..

diymummy

Hi mummydeedee,

Yes it is normal for babies to fall asleep quickly while at breast especially during the first month of life. My boy was like that too and we really struggled to feed him. Each feed can last up to 1 hr or more.

We would change his diapers, burp him, tickle him, wipe his face and sometimes he would wake up and drink somemore.

I wouldn't encourage you to express to feed as introducing the bottle too early might cause nipple confusion.

But if you really want to express and feed your baby through the bottle, here's a formula which my PD gave me to calculate how much your baby should be drinking when on an all-milk diet:

Upper limit: 200ml x baby's weight in kg
Lower limit: 150ml x baby's weight in kg

For amt to feed at each feed, divide it by the number of feeds over a 24hr period. If you're feeding between the upper limit and lower limit over a 24 hr period, your baby is having enough.

Other signs are 6-8 wet diapers a day and weight gain.

meiteoh

I too had this problem and tried everything but still Eva would fall asleep while feeding. So I asked the midwife for help. Her suggestion was to strip Eva down to her diapers and nurse her. It worked! I did that for about two weeks and after a while, she would learn that boobs are for eating not sleeping and she'd be actively nursing. She also do not recommend expressing and feeding a newborn the bottle as this will lead to nipple confusion and can affect milk supply.

Don't worry about your baby catching a chill - breastfeeding is comforting as well as warming for your baby (stomach to stomach contact will ensure that he's warm and toasty).

I never ever know how much Eva is drinking because I've always done the direct latch on. For me, as long as she churns out 6-8 wet diapers a day, is gaining weight and is active, she's eating enough.