Baby carriers

plaingina

Hi mummies

My 2 mth old baby does not like to lay in the stroller, she prefers to be carried. But I read about carrying babies in those baby carriers, with the babies facing us n it says that it is not good, as it may affect the spinal development. Can any mummies share on this pls?

gumbokins

the one that is not good is carrying the baby in front facing outwards, because it puts a lot of stress on the spine.

Soft-structure carriers like Ergo, Beco, Manduca are good, coz baby is supported and the weight is also distributed on your hips instead of your back and shoulders.

Ring slings are also good coz v versatile, can do all sorts of carry but must know how to adjust.

I have been using a Beco Butterfly II since my boy was a few weeks old (got minimum weight limit), before that was using a sarong sling (suitable from newborn). I like the Beco, usually when I strap him in, he auto go sleep mode :)

gumbokins

Heehee yah mievee, I came across ur review on the beco when I thinking of buying mine :) it was helpful thx thx!

Mummy to Baby V

Heehee yah mievee, I came across ur review on the beco when I thinking of buying mine :) it was helpful thx thx!
You're most welcome! Good things meant to be shared. I also learnt about it from hubby's friend, was initially hesitant cos of the price. Now, I find it a GREAT investment, looking forward to using it for next baby. :)

noelsmum

I use the Ergo Carrier. For me, that's really useful. I've used it since little one was 4 months and he's 9 months and he still likes it. Before the Ergo carrier, I used a random carrier and it was straining my back. There wasn't a hip support bit to redistribute the weight. So whatever carrier you get, it's important to put your baby in to try and to make sure that there's a hip support too. It helps a lot.

I am thinking of getting a baby carrier for my baby (1 month +), as I want to bring him out during the day while my husband is working.. :bbwink:

I have read in some websites that ring slings are recommended for babies below 5 months.. But I was thinking of getting the Beco carrier as the weight is more evenly distributed.. Is it safe as my baby is still quite young and the neck muscles are not strong yet...

gumbokins

hi sleepybear

i own a beco butterfly and love it to.the.max!!

I started using it when my son was about 4 weeks and about 3.5kg, it comes with an infant insert thats like a little seat to keep your baby at the right height in the carrier. the hold is v snug, so no worries about neck support.

and it's v comfy for the user...usually my feet will KO first before my shoulders or my back.

Hi gumbokins,

Am I able to buy the beco carrier from places selling baby's stuff (Eg: kiddy palace etc) or whether is there a specific shop to buy from?

apollo

invest on a good baby carrier. the brands that gumnokins listed out are very good carriers. i personally have a Manduca and it is very good. not only ds's posture is v good when he was inside, my shoulder doesnt hurt. =)

Thanks! Will go down to the shop one of these days with my husband and baby.. Really looking forward to buying a good baby carrier so that I can bring my baby out :wong29:

I think there is a baby fair (organized by Motherhood) during the first weekend of Jun.. Will be going to see if there are any bargains to buy :D

Paulynntanpl

Oh hmm I don't think Beco is sold at Kiddy Palace or Mothercare. There is a shop at Square 2, Baby Slings & Carriers that stock a large selection of all kinds of carriers, and they can help you wear and test out with your baby :) you can try there Baby Slings & Carriers - Contact Us
Hi Gumbokins,

I search for this Beco carrier that you mention and was just wondering if baby feels hot? I know the Bjorn uses a netting material so there is at least a form of air circulation. The thing about carriers is that my baby perspire a bit and I do not want to buy another carrier but end up feeling all sweaty. I have a ring sling and when baby is tummy to tummy with me, my whole T-shirt has a wet patch from the heat coming from both baby and myself. Like you said, it is not cheap so I am hoping to find out about this. Is it okay to walk in the park with baby in this? I am just worried he will be overheated!

marshmallows

I own a Manduca n am loving it. Support is great n I dun feel tired even after walking around for hours. My friend using the baby bjorn w back support says she cannot tahan now that her boy is near 8kg. She tried my manduca n now urging her hubby to get one lol.

Downside of the Manduca is that it can get quite warm for me n my son as we r both the type who perspires alot. So I only use it in aircon places. I bought the carrier when my son was 2.5 mths old. He was fine when we tried it in the shop but subsequently he would cry whenever I try to put him in it. Til when he was near 5 mths then he became ok with it n can even sleep soundly in it. I guess maybe could be he hated to part his legs so wide (even with the infant insert) cos his legs were much shorter then.

I rotate between the Manduca n Hippychick Hipseat. Am using the Hipseat at home esp when he demands to b carried all the time. Though not totally handsfree but I still have 1 hand free to do other stuffs hehe. Slings gave me bad shoulder aches but it's great for newborns.

Last edited:

gumbokins

Hi Gumbokins,

I search for this Beco carrier that you mention and was just wondering if baby feels hot? I know the Bjorn uses a netting material so there is at least a form of air circulation. The thing about carriers is that my baby perspire a bit and I do not want to buy another carrier but end up feeling all sweaty. I have a ring sling and when baby is tummy to tummy with me, my whole T-shirt has a wet patch from the heat coming from both baby and myself. Like you said, it is not cheap so I am hoping to find out about this. Is it okay to walk in the park with baby in this? I am just worried he will be overheated!
Heehee paulynn, i know we discussed via PM already but for sake of the thread, I also post here.

I dont find the beco hot and I use it both outdoors and indoors. But maybe it's coz my baby is still small? I'll be taking it on holiday to KL later this month, will let you know again how it holds up in KL heat!

Happee Mommie

I am an ardent fan of baby wearing!

I care for baby entirely myself, and its wonderful investing in a good carrier, not just for practical reason of moving around hands free, but babies love the ideas of being close to mommy's chest and hearing her heatbeat.

I used the baby bjorn synergy at home, usu have it face inwards (more comforting that way), only occasionally I let baby face outwards if he is interested to look around his environment. And my baby was the first to sit amongst my friends!

I also use the sling, mainly for hands free breastfeeding, so that is a good mix between the 2. But I dont really sling my baby doing housework cos its kinda precarious to me compareds the the baby bjorn.

Paulynntanpl

Hi Gumbokins!

Thanks for your reply... we may be checking it out tomorrow. Really hope it is good for the hot and humid Singapore... if so, I can bring baby out without much worry... Have a good trip!

Mummy to Baby V

Hi Gumbokins,

My boy perspires easily and I used the Beco at home (no air-con) or when shopping (air-con). I find it fine.

Hubby perspires more easily and can carry baby around for several hours, yet still loves the carrier. He has no complaint about it being warm , maybe cos he only uses it while shopping in air-con places.

As for Baby Bjorn, I will not consider it as a fair comparison because baby's legs dangle while in it, non-ergonomic position. Soft structured carriers, slings and pouches allow baby to sit when carried, less stress on spine. Moreover, I think its weight limit is 12kg, while Beco is until 18kg.