~ Baby Cot .vs. Playpen ~

izanyzam

Hello mummies and MTBs...!!!

Need your views and advice on the advantage and disadvantage of having either a baby cot or playpen (or owning both..!!) ...I cant decide between the two..Which one is of more use..?? Thank you many2 in advance...!!! :001_302::001_302:

Triquetra

I also posted the same question in another forum but in the end I checked with my gynae (both have pros and cons, can't really decide) and she suggested babycot.

I also feel that babycot is more suitable for sleep and playpen is more for play. I suggest you get a babycot in the bedroom for baby to sleep in and a playpen in the living room for 'play time'.

Last edited:

BbpHir3

cot: there are those cot that can be modify to a single bed.. usually can use till kids are much older.. the one tat DD sleeps on can take my weight.. nv ask DH to try.. scared break.. lol~~

whereas playpen: it's suitable for kids up to a certain age, bout 2+? cuz by then, the kids wun wan to be confine in there.. but it's very portable.. so u can actually move it to the living room in the day time n back to the room at night.. n it's a great bed for babies hu's learning to crawl/ stand..

i got a playpen for DD at my parents place, n a cot at my place..

Triquetra

cot: there are those cot that can be modify to a single bed.. usually can use till kids are much older.. the one that dear daughter sleeps on can take my weight.. never ask dear husband to try.. scared break.. lol~~

whereas playpen: it's suitable for kids up to a certain age, bout 2+? cuz by then, the kids wun want to be confine in there.. but it's very portable.. so you can actually move it to the living room in the day time and back to the room at night.. and it's a great bed for babies hu's learning to crawl/ stand..

i got a playpen for dear daughter at my parents place, and a cot at my place..
Is your baby still sleeping in the cot? I wonder how long will baby want to sleep in a cot, my gynae said that babycot can let baby sleeps longer but I really cannot picture my nephew (who is 2+ years old now) sleeping in a cot.

However some mummies told me their kids still sleep in the cot even at the age of 2.

BbpHir3

yup.. she's still slpin in her cot..

she seems to prefer her cot too~~
now she can crawl to her cot from our bed n find her bolster, get into a comfortable position n start sucking her thumb.. lol..
wat i did was i remove 1 side of her cot.. cuz her's can be modify to a day bed, removing one side would still be very safe.. n we juz attach her bed to ours via raffia string/ cable ties.. the length of her bed is only bout 1 feet shorter than our queen size.. so it made our beds look bigger.. lol~~

chelle

I bought a cot coz i read somewhere that playpen is more soft, not good for BB spine.
But after my confinement, i actually let my BB sleep beside me on our adult bed coz is easier to pacify him when he cry at night.
I need not get out of bed and walk to the cot.
Also, sometime when i wake up b4 him, i enjoy watching him sleep, so sweet & blissful!

izanyzam

I also feel that babycot is more suitable for sleep and playpen is more for play. I suggest you get a babycot in the bedroom for baby to sleep in and a playpen in the living room for 'play time'.
Hi Triquetra...Thanks for your views..!!!! :001_302:

izanyzam

cot: there are those cot that can be modify to a single bed.. usually can use till kids are much older.. the one that dear daughter sleeps on can take my weight.. never ask dear husband to try.. scared break.. lol~~
whereas playpen: it's suitable for kids up to a certain age, bout 2+? cuz by then, the kids wun want to be confine in there.. but it's very portable.. so you can actually move it to the living room in the day time and back to the room at night.. and it's a great bed for babies hu's learning to crawl/ stand..
Hi BbpHir3...Wahhhh your cot must be very durable coz can take the weight of an adult..But i guess its better never to let your hubby try though..Hehehehe..!!!

Yup i thought of looking for those kind of cots which can be converted to toddler bed...I see quite a few around nowadays..And i agree that i dont think the kids will want to be confined to the playpen during their playtime..But playpens are definitely portable esp since most come with wheels attached..

Anyways,thanks for sharing your views!!! :001_302:

izanyzam

what i did was i remove 1 side of her cot.. cuz her's can be modify to a day bed, removing one side would still be very safe.. and we just attach her bed to ours via raffia string/ cable ties.. the length of her bed is only bout 1 feet shorter than our queen size.. so it made our beds look bigger.. lol~~
Yah ive seen most of the cots which one side of it can be pushed down and the cot then be placed beside the bed so parents have easy access to the babies at night...I was thinking of doing that too if i were to get a cot coz me and hubby like to roll around wen we're sleeping so i guess its safer for the baby to be sleeping in his own cot.. :001_302:

izanyzam

I bought a cot coz i read somewhere that playpen is more soft, not good for baby spine.
But after my confinement, i actually let my baby sleep beside me on our adult bed coz is easier to pacify him when he cry at night.
Also, sometime when i wake up before him, i enjoy watching him sleep, so sweet & blissful!
Hi chelle...maybe it depends on what material for the base that the playpen is using..Coz since playpens are mainly used for playtime,i guess its better for the material to be soft right...??

I agree that its easier if baby could sleep with me and hubby but we just love to roll around while sleeping so scared wen we're too tired,we might just roll over on top of poor baby (touch wood...!!)...!!! :err:

Anyways,thanks for sharing your views...!!!

Ting

if you intend to let baby sleep by herself, then invest in a baby's cot.
for me, got a cot, but pin didnt sleep in it since 2 mths onwards, quite wasted.
playpen was given by my aunt, used for about 1 your but pin didnt like to be constrained so also couldnt stay inside for long each time.
but playpen is good when you need to do housework and all, cos its portable.
i also let pin nap in her playpen. :)

annie03

Hello mummies and MTBs...!!!

Need your views and advice on the advantage and disadvantage of having either a baby cot or playpen (or owning both..!!) ...I cant decide between the two..Which one is of more use..?? Thank you many2 in advance...!!! :001_302::001_302:

Hi,

I have a cot n playpen for my baby n till now my baby is still sleeping in her n the cot can be modified into a bed n can last up till she is 6yrs old so i find it quite worth lor... n also the height and latch can be adjust lower or higher to ur prefer when she is older so that u will not scare that she will climb n fall out of bed...... as for the playpen, till now my gal still didnt wanna use it cos if she didnt get to see anyone out there then she will wanna ask to carry n come out...

BbpHir3

I bought a cot coz i read somewhere that playpen is more soft, not good for baby spine.
But after my confinement, i actually let my baby sleep beside me on our adult bed coz is easier to pacify him when he cry at night.
Also, sometime when i wake up before him, i enjoy watching him sleep, so sweet & blissful!
lyk wat i did, i "attached" the cot (with one of it's side dismantled) to our bed.. so it's as if DD is sleeping with us.. but she's still on her on bed.. n if she does cry in the night (she've been sleeping tru the night) i can juz pat her very easily..
+ when she's awake, she can juz crawl from her bed to our bed n "wake us up".. lol... usually it consists of ear/ hair pulling, mouth stretching, kisses/ bites etc etc... hahahaha..

redjn

My choice will be a cot. somehow to me I felt that the cot is more stablise compare over playpen. I had both, for cot my boy is still in it till now, playpen - now kept as it is not suitable for him now (he refused to stay in it when the time he reach 1 yrs old. so for long invest cot is better against playpen.

if u want to value the $ u should look for a big cot so that u can convert it to a bed later when yr kid grow bigger.

Last edited:

Triquetra

Btw, Hubby and I saw a really nice cot at Causeway Point's Metro... it's not too compact and cost only around $189. You can ask to upgrade the mattress to latex mattress for an additional cost :)

izanyzam

if you intend to let baby sleep by herself, then invest in a baby's cot.
for me, got a cot, but pin didnt sleep in it since 2 mths onwards, quite wasted.
playpen was given by my aunt, used for about 1 your but pin didnt like to be constrained so also couldnt stay inside for long each time.
but playpen is good when you need to do housework and all, cos its portable.
i also let pin nap in her playpen. :)
Hi Ting...Yah i intend to let baby sleep by himself coz me and hubby are already occupying the whole bed as of now..So cant imagine if baby were to sleep with us..Where got space..?? although hubby keeps assuring me that there will be room for the three of us BUT i doubt it..Hehehehehe...!!!

Anyways,thanks for sharing your views...!!! :001_302::001_302:

izanyzam

Hi,

I have a cot and playpen for my baby and till now my baby is still sleeping in her and the cot can be modified into a bed and can last up till she is 6yrs old so i find it quite worth ... and also the height and latch can be adjust lower or higher to your prefer when she is older so that you will not scare that she will climb and fall out of bed...... as for the playpen, till now my gal still didnt wanna use it cos if she didnt get to see anyone out there then she will wanna ask to carry and come out...
Hi annie03...I will definitely invest a bit more in a cot that can be later converted into a toddler bed...As for the playpen,i can imagine baby wanting to be carried out the minute he cant see anyone around..Then might as well get a padded mat and let him play on it..

Thanks for sharing your views yah..!! :001_302::001_302:

izanyzam

lyk what i did, i "attached" the cot (with one of it's side dismantled) to our bed.. so it's as if dear daughter is sleeping with us.. but she's still on her on bed.. and if she does cry in the night (she've been sleeping tru the night) i can just pat her very easily..
+ when she's awake, she can just crawl from her bed to our bed and "wake us up".. lol... usually it consists of ear/ hair pulling, mouth stretching, kisses/ bites etc etc... hahahaha..
Wahhh...can see juz how skillfull you and hubby attached the cot to your bed till baby can safely crawl over to you own bed...!!! So cute the way baby gives you a wake-up call..!!! :001_302::001_302:

izanyzam

My choice will be a cot. somehow to me I felt that the cot is more stablise compare over playpen. I had both, for cot my boy is still in it till now, playpen - now kept as it is not suitable for him now (he refused to stay in it when the time he reach 1 yrs old. so for long invest cot is better against playpen.

if you want to value the $ you should look for a big cot so that you can convert it to a bed later when your kid grow bigger.
Hi redjn...Yah i agree that its better to invest in a big cot that can late be converted into a toddler bed as baby grows up...I went to the baby hypermart @ Kaki Bukit last week and saw this pretty cot that looks soooo cool and can be converted into a toddler bed...But very pricey..!!!

Anyways,thanks for sharing your views..!!! :001_302::001_302:

izanyzam

Btw, Hubby and I saw a really nice cot at Causeway Point's Metro... it's not too compact and cost only around $189. You can ask to upgrade the mattress to latex mattress for an additional cost :)
Hi Triquetra...Thanks for sharing this info...$189 is soo cheap...!! Most of the cots costs around $300+..Might go check this one out...But im staying simei so dunno wen get the time to go...!!!