baby is fussy when outdoors. please help

prityfly

From all the visiting and being outdoors during cny, i realised that my baby is extremely fussy when we are out. I have to carry him or put him on a sling or have to continuously push the stroller when we are out. Its worse when we are at others people house. We reached went out at 11am and he only wanted to be in his sling till 10pm till we reach hm. I cant put him down even on my mother inlaws bed or on his stroller when he sleeps cos its not moving and he wakes up cry. He hates pacifier so no use giving him pne. Mu attention is on him so he is changed and not overly warm or cold.

This also means that he cant feed properly cos he is fussy and cries. He would only drink abit milk and not want it anymore. Then wait another hour drink abit and not want it again and it continues!

But this only happens when we are out.

pixie

How many people are there in your family (e.g.those staying with you and your baby)?
Did you just start to bring your baby out?
Is your baby rather timid and afraid of loud noise?
Do you have a habit of rocking and carrying your baby most of the time or until he falls asleep?

Do not give your baby a pacifier if he didnt want it. It will save you time to wean him off at later stage?

diza

For a start, bring him out often to the shop or market. My mom always bring my boy to the market almost every day. At first he's not used to large crowd and will cry if strangers carry him. Now no more. He will only fuss when he's hungry or wants to sleep.

prityfly

When we are at home, he is perfectly fine. I sometimes carry him to sleep or rock him. (He hates his yaolan) but most times i just pat him to sleep on the bed his sleeps through his nap time and through out the night.

There are 6 people in my house, he is not scared of strangers when we are out or when we go mall ( saturdays and sundays) every week.

Its only when we go to other peoples house. He finds it difficult to sleep so he fusses.

At the mall while walking he sleeps from the motion of his stroller or the yaolan. But when we stop like when were in the train or like i said when we visit people house cos were just stationary and not moving.

The problem is, he wants to sleep but he finds it difficult so he cries. And what i have to do to soothe him is carry him all through out e.g. We reach mother in law house 11am till we left 10pm. I carried him all the way. He refuses the sofa or other bed or his stroller

pixie

I am not sure if this is doable. I believe your baby starts to identify the house/place which happens to some.
Try to bring your baby to visit your neighbour, in-law, sis/bro for 2-3 hours daily and see if he will slowly feel comfortable.

My girl behaves this manner too when she was 1-4 months old. If I go out or visit someone, between 8:00-8:30pm, she will start to fuss and no matter how we pat her or comfort her, she will not stop fussing until we leave the place or hop into the taxi. Eventually, we realise that she wants to be in her own 'nest' at a specific time.

But as a stubborn mum, I did not give up. I keep bringing her back to my mum's place for a visit during the day and gradually she felt comfortable enough to even take a nap when she is tired. It was around 8 months old when she got out of it.

Last edited:

prityfly

Yea. Its like he knows when he is home. Same thing lor. Keep cry till we leave. Then i know its looks bad like im doin smth wrong but i know he just wants to be confortable. I just hope nothin is wrong with him.

creeni

You can try bring some thing that he like the smell. For example: mummy's clothe because he feel close to mummy. Or baby pillow...

danzen

Prityfly- u are not alone... Mine is also fussy when he is not home. Like when he goes for his jab at clinic, out for shopping etc.. And during cny visit, he wants milk every 1-2hr instead of his usual 2.5hr and he will scream at interval for nothing.

joycepng

Mine same case. She will start whinning after 8pm if I'm still outside. Tats y old ppl always say dun bring ur babies out till late. They dun like it. As time goes, they will be better.

xeritan

This is exactly what happen to my 16 weeks old boy as well during house visiting during CNY. He has never been on pacifier and I doubt giving him will calm him down. But when he fuss and cries at relatives' place, they will either comment that I should give him pacifier or I shd bring him out often. On the latter, I bring him out almost everyday to malls. Both frustrate me that I have no choice but to leave the place earlier. One thing though is that if he has a 'distraction' such as someone singing or playing with him (note: just one person, not a bunch of people), he will calm down and eventually warm up to the person and the environment. My guess is he gets intimidated with too many people in the house, and that overwhelmed him so he broke down.
also I do agree that we shd bring something that he is familiar with, like his blanket or soft toy so he can find comfort in 'his' item when he's too stress.