Baby like to talk and play, how?

ohstrawberry

My baby is only 2 months plus, he likes to make lots of noises, as else he is talking. Also he can play with himself for quite long, kicking his legs and waving his hands. Daytime is fine, i can play and talk to him. But at night he keeps "talking" and playing, then don't want to sleep. I try to dim the room, he still do so even in the dark. I wondering "who" he is talking to. He can play until he is hungry then cry for me, after breastfeeding him, he doze off for a while, then wake up and play again.
Anyone experience this, pls help. How can i make him sleep thru?

jassmine

this happen to my girl before, some elderly will said some dirty thing is playing with her or some will said Goddess of Beds and the Bedchamber is playing with her but i will just ignore what they are saying.. all i do i just let my girl play, when she is tired she will went to sleep.. as maybe newborn baby still doesnt know night is Zzzz time..

diymummy

Maybe you can try incorporating a bed time routine so that your baby wil learn that it is bed time.

Agree that you should ignore people who say your baby is seeing or playing with "dirty" things. No point stressing out yourself. Also agree that your baby will sleep when he is tired.

For 2 mth olds, some still need to be fed through the night or at every 3 hrs amounting up to 8 feeds a day. This is normal.

For night times, when he plays with himself, just let him be. Day time, you can play with him so that he knows when is day and when is night.

meiteoh

Eva used to talk to her soft toys when she wakes up first thing in the morning. Her voice is really hush, and sometimes she'll stroke her toy. At night too, sometimes it's the same. I just let her be. Sometimes she'll fall off to sleep, sometimes she'll "talk" until it's her next feed.

But what I won't do is change her routine - she knows that after 7pm, she gets a feed, a wipe and some time in the bouncer/rocker/playgym and then it's off to the crib. I won't take her out and play with her (that's for during the day); at most I'll do is feed her if she's still hungry. Of course I make the room suitable for sleeping - dimmed lights, soft music, nice temp, etc, etc.

So after a while, she sort of learn to play by herself and go to sleep on her own.

Oh, and the night feeds is normal. Your baby is still young and need the feeds/weight gain. :)

uddermummy

It's good that your bb is learning how to talk! Bbs who learn how to 'talk' or vocalise early do so because their caretakers have been talking a lot to them. Bbs who learn to talk early usually have a larger vocabulary than bbs whose caregivers do not talk so much to them.

My girl also started 'talking' when she was about 2 months old. My pd was v impressed when my girl tried to 'talk' to him. He also commented that I must have been talking a lot to her-- I do.

You should encourage your boy to talk more by talking back to him. When he says something, pretend that you understand him and say something back. Wait for his reply and then talk to him again.

Bbs who just learnt to do something will want to keep practising their new skill and will not want to sleep. My girl refused to sleep when she'd just learnt how to sit up on her own, and will keep sitting up when I put her to bed. Now, she's better.

Next time, if your boy has an imaginary friend, you should be happy! He's not crazy, he's not talking to ghosts, but he's v creative instead! I'm so wishing my girl will have an imaginary friend next time. :001_302:

elaineyeo

My baby is only 2 months plus, he likes to make lots of noises, as else he is talking. Also he can play with himself for quite long, kicking his legs and waving his hands. Daytime is fine, i can play and talk to him. But at night he keeps "talking" and playing, then dont't want to sleep. I try to dim the room, he still do so even in the dark. I wondering "who" he is talking to. He can play until he is hungry then cry for me, after breastfeeding him, he doze off for a while, then wake up and play again.
Anyone experience this, pls help. How can i make him sleep thru?

Hi ohstrawberry, i my boy these few nights also keep wake up and wanna play and talking dun wanna sleep. He coming 2mths only. Last nite 2plus wake up till 6plus then sleep, also dun knw how to make him sleep during the nite.... Haiz!

Mummy to Baby V

It's great that your baby is curious and active. She is very interested in communication and playing means she's learning new things all the time.

About 10 weeks is the time babies start to be more alert.
Having a bedtime routine will help her differentiate day and night after a while.
About 1hour before bedtime, start winding down activities, which means no more stimulation such as laughing and playing. Stories, a few nursery rhymes (sang softly) are appropriate. Dim the room lights. For alert babies at night, you may have to remove/turn away cot mobiles which may over-stimulate at times.
If it's bedtime, say 'good night' to her at the end of the routine and don't play with her. You may have to say 'good night' many times until she understands that 'good night' means sleeping time.

Let baby have sufficient naps in the day with a few wakeful periods to talk and play sufficiently. For e.g. if my son doesn't practise his new skills such as rolling / crawling in the day, he'll want to do that during bedtime.

Reviews on books relating to baby's sleep:
Elizabeth Pantley Mummy's Reviews

apollo

ds was lik tt too but only in the night time. what we did was, just let him play until he tired and he will slp. we will NOT play with play nor entertain him at midnight, will 'act' as if we are slping.. soon he knows tt he is supposed to be slping and not playing =)

catherlyn

my baby also been talking alot recently and she will response to us when we talk to her in different tones. me n my mil will always talk to her when she is alert and maybe cos of that she tend to talk more n play more. BUT, when we bring her out most of the time she is SLEEPING! when it's nite time i will feed her latest by 1030 then will dim the light, off tv etc and sing to her. also i will keep telling her that "en en is tired already, so now is time to slp" usually by 1230 she will slp deeply and all the way till next morning at 8 or 9am. in btw she will semi woke up and i will feed her if she is hungry if not i will just pt her bk to slp.

ohstrawberry

My boy can talk from 10pm to 3am, i bet he'll be very talkative in future.
I guess i will just let him continue to talk and talk until he is tired. My mum told me to ignore him at night and go to sleep myself but his talking is quite loud, how to sleep.........
Initially i am very worried, thought my room got that "thing" as he keeps looking at one corner of the room, then he will talk and play looking that direction. I guess maybe it's just his habit looking that direction.
I think i will just let him be. *sign*

Hi ohstrawberry, i my boy these few nights also keep wake up and wanna play and talking dont wanna sleep. He coming 2mths only. Last nite 2plus wake up till 6plus then sleep, also dont knw how to make him sleep during the nite.... sigh!

Last edited:

ohstrawberry

I am glad to see so many helpful replies and tips from you all.
Now i know that my baby is normal like other babies. Thanks.

woofy55

ohstrawberry... at least yr baby is talking to himself and can sleep himself when he's tired... my boy like to talk too... but he'll start screaming when he is tired... faint... haiz..

ohstrawberry

Sometimes he cry too when he is tired, but lucky he's not a screamer cause when he cry loudly, his voice went hoarse.
ohstrawberry... at least your baby is talking to himself and can sleep himself when he's tired... my boy like to talk too... but he'll start screaming when he is tired... faint... sigh..