Baby not drinking milk

Hi mummies,

Need your advise, my baby is 18 weeks old now and for the past 2 weeks she has not been drinking much milk or refused to drink.
She is on total EBM and used to drink 1000ml a day now she only drinks 700 to 800ml.

Today she went refused to drink and went without milk for 5 hours!
I read about nursing strike but her refusal to drink is lasting longer than what i thought. And now she is very playful too so i wonder if it is normal for babies going through this stage?

Also i changed from pigeon brand rubber teats- S flow to Y flow 3 weeks ago so i am not sure if the teat is also the reason for her not drinking.

I am desperate now as i am worried baby not getting enough nutrients and hydration, today she never poo-poo too.

:embarrassed:

Ting

actually unless she got choke when she is using the Y flow teat, if not there isnt any diff at all.
its quite normal to hv milk strike but im not sure how long it shld last.
perhaps, u can give her small feeds instead? JMHO.
as long she is not straining or hv problems pooing, not pooing 1-2days is normal too.

Ashbaby

There was a period DS goes w/o milk for 16 hours...... He just tk 1-2 feeds a day. It lasted abt 1-2 weeks.

Dear Ting & Ashbaby,
Thanks for your advice. She started drinking a little more today, hopefully the milk strike will be over soon.

SM_Liu

is ur baby drinking well already?
My son doesn't eat much & a little small (since my hubby & I both on the big side) so I decided to mix some brown rice cereal (those suitable from 4mths). Just started 3 days ago & only 1 feed a day. He is 21 weeks & only fed 3 times last night. 10am, 5pm & 10pm. Total intake only 520ml. I'm so worried... u have any tips to share?

apollo

is your baby drinking well already?
My son doesn't eat much & a little small (since my hubby & I both on the big side) so I decided to mix some brown rice cereal (those suitable from 4mths). Just started 3 days ago & only 1 feed a day. He is 21 weeks & only fed 3 times last night. 10am, 5pm & 10pm. Total intake only 520ml. I'm so worried... you have any tips to share?
u mean u mix the brown rice cereal INTO the milk bottle with milk? if u mean tt, pls stop doing tt, it might choke ur baby!

hw old is ur bb alrdy? my cousin's grandson used to drink v lil milk too. b4 he started semi-solid, he was drinking ard 150ml every 4-5hrs.. i think less than 600ml per day.. my cousin tried to give him more milk, or shorten the interval but he just cant finish the milk..

SM_Liu

i mix 1 milk scoope of the moon rabbit si sen brown rice cereal to his milk (200ml). Was also worried initially that he will choke but gave 4 days in the row for 1 feed & he's ok. I have no choice cos the boy really doesn't want to feed. Tried 1 piece of the Heinz Farley Rusk blended with milk yesterday & he kind of finished it.

He can finish his milk but gotta wait till he wants to feed. Sometimes can last more than 6hours.

yummumamanda

Yes this is not very common problem. That’s why it needs a great packet of advice as well as serious concern with doctor. Hope you will get a better soluution soon.

Lim2528

Hi Mummy,

I notices my 3 months old baby boy seem like having some nursing strike this week. Last time he will drink 90~120ml for 7 feed per day. But this week, he couldn't even finish 120ml and drink 70ml. His weight measured last week is 5.3kg.

During the feed half way, he will suddenly kick and kick so I pulled out the milk bottle to burp him but he will scream a bit . After burped, he refuse to drink and keep on talking, smiling and move his body. I wil try to coax him to drink by putting back the teat in his mouth, than he used his tougue to move left to right and smiled. After that he suck suck awhile than start to make noise and doesn't want to drink. Than, I will sit him up for another burp and he burped. 3rd attemp when putting the teat back into his mouth, he will give me a angry face and scream.

Last time, I used to let him drink the whole bottle of milk than burp but if doing this, he will also burp out the milk.

I notices that once he refuse to drink finish, he will want to be in playpen for changing diaper and kicking, talking. He seem to be full of enegry to play recently this week but doesn't want to finish his milk. I'm worried that his intake in lesser that will affect his growth.

Last week, there is no problem for him to drink milk so we trained him to sleep through by giving pacifer when he making noise in middle of night (he suck the pacifier without crying, will go back to sleep). But this week, he is not making any noise and slept thru. I wonder, should I wake him up for feed since he strike in day time.

apollo

seems lik he is being distracted. this is very normal for babies at this age. and also, at this age, the milk interval might drag abit longer. u can try to drag longer interval if he didnt cry and see if he can finish the usual 90-120ml. as long as his milk intake dont suddenly drop more than 50% and he is still active and behaves normal, it is okay.

and during night time, if he can slp thru, just let him be, dont have to wake him up. this is the average age that he shd be slping thru the night alrdy. babies are very clever, they will wake up and cry for milk when they are hungry, dont wry =)

Lim2528

Last time even thou he can't finish his milk, his intake is 700-800ml max. I just worried of his growth cos on 1month he is only 10% and last week is 3month assessment is 25% whereby doctor has discharge him already. Just hope his appeptite will be big, so can feed him more.

bb2010

Hi Mummy,

I notices my 3 months old baby boy seem like having some nursing strike this week. Last time he will drink 90~120ml for 7 feed per day. But this week, he couldn't even finish 120ml and drink 70ml. His weight measured last week is 5.3kg.

During the feed half way, he will suddenly kick and kick so I pulled out the milk bottle to burp him but he will scream a bit . After burped, he refuse to drink and keep on talking, smiling and move his body. I wil try to coax him to drink by putting back the teat in his mouth, than he used his tougue to move left to right and smiled. After that he suck suck awhile than start to make noise and doesn't want to drink. Than, I will sit him up for another burp and he burped. 3rd attemp when putting the teat back into his mouth, he will give me a angry face and scream.

Last time, I used to let him drink the whole bottle of milk than burp but if doing this, he will also burp out the milk.

I notices that once he refuse to drink finish, he will want to be in playpen for changing diaper and kicking, talking. He seem to be full of enegry to play recently this week but doesn't want to finish his milk. I'm worried that his intake in lesser that will affect his growth.

Last week, there is no problem for him to drink milk so we trained him to sleep through by giving pacifer when he making noise in middle of night (he suck the pacifier without crying, will go back to sleep). But this week, he is not making any noise and slept thru. I wonder, should I wake him up for feed since he strike in day time.
Hi Lim2528.
My son 2 months and 1 week now. atitude similar with yr son ler... when he drink till half way..he dun wan drink and scream , then i need to carry him walk here n walk there. when i let him drink again, he just smiling dun wan suck....spend quite long time to finish the milk... i oso worry abt this.

bb2010

seems lik he is being distracted. this is very normal for babies at this age. and also, at this age, the milk interval might drag abit longer. u can try to drag longer interval if he didnt cry and see if he can finish the usual 90-120ml. as long as his milk intake dont suddenly drop more than 50% and he is still active and behaves normal, it is okay.

and during night time, if he can slp thru, just let him be, dont have to wake him up. this is the average age that he shd be slping thru the night alrdy. babies are very clever, they will wake up and cry for milk when they are hungry, dont wry =)
Hi Apollo,
My son oso have this problem but he is only 2 months + is it normal? how come they have this kind of problem?

bb2010

Last time even thou he can't finish his milk, his intake is 700-800ml max. I just worried of his growth cos on 1month he is only 10% and last week is 3month assessment is 25% whereby doctor has discharge him already. Just hope his appeptite will be big, so can feed him more.
wht is your baby's weight now?

Lim2528

Born weight: 2.4kg on wk36
6 wks weight: 4.2kg
12 wks weight: 5.3kg
He was discharge by kkh doctor last weight as it reach 25% growth.

Lim2528

By the way, doc mentioned that after bb born about 2 months later, the parent gene will take over. But I remember my dad told me that when I'm a baby, I'm very chubby like small michillin. Also, I drink milk very fast. Don't know why my bb boy is on the slim side and he drink milk very slow too.

apollo

Hi Apollo,
My son oso have this problem but he is only 2 months + is it normal? how come they have this kind of problem?
u mean milk interval dragging longer?? this is not a problem, is parts n parcels of their growing up. =)

apollo

By the way, doc mentioned that after bb born about 2 months later, the parent gene will take over. But I remember my dad told me that when I'm a baby, I'm very chubby like small michillin. Also, I drink milk very fast. Don't know why my bb boy is on the slim side and he drink milk very slow too.
Does weight n size matters? Most impt is they are healthy right?? some babies just dont drink as much, grow as much. but doesnt mean that they are not normal. ds' birth wt is 2.9kg and he gained ALOT during the 1st yr. yes he is a michellin but he fell ill pretty often during the 1st 6mths. if i were to choose, i rather he is not a michellin but healthy. =)

apollo

No , i mean 'nursing strike'
i think it depends lehhh.. for my son's case, he dont wanna drink, push away the bottle cos he was distracted as he will push away the bottle and smile at us -.-"" but my pd did told me that it is normal and their milk interval will drag longer, thus they will not drink as much if we stick to the interval. =)