Baby only wants to be breast fed

Mummyclaire

Hi, anyone has the same experience as me?

My 9 month old son only wants to be breast-fed. He does not want any bottle or cup. I have tried all ways and means but to no avail.

What I have tried so far:
1) Getting another person (grandma, daddy, maid) to feed him

2) Tried different bottles (Avent, Pigeon..), different teats (silicon, latex), wide-necked, std size..

3) Also tried sippy/training cups, cups with straw. He would play with them but the moment I try to put it into his mouth, he screams!

4) Tried rocking him, singing to him, even watching TV but all no use

5) Tried waiting till he is sleepy and push the bottle in. Will suck for like 5 sec then start to cry. Also tried to alternate between pacifier/breast to bottle but also cannot.

6) Tried giving him formula (heard it is sweeter so hope he would like it) or mix with ebm (3/4 ebm 1/4 FM) but all don wan.

My frens advise me to go cold turkey but I can't bear hearing him cry. Very afraid he is not taking enough milk. Now, when I'm at work, my mum has to spoon feed him! he drinks a bit.
I'm feeling really desperate now so anyone has any tips to share?

sg81hani

Hi mummy claire,
I've just tried training my daughter to drink EBM from bottle as I'm going to work soon. Similarly, there is a lot of tantrums, crying, playing with the milk till most of it goes on her face or her clothes. But something worked today! I gave her the bottle while she's lying down. Get something to distract her like a toy and suddenly she's drinking! She managed to finish one whole feed. And probably cos she's hungry and finds that it's no use fighting back since mummy's milk tastes so good. hehe. : )
I think getting your child in a comfy position like lying down might work. Since he's squirming about when you carry him, it'll be hard for him to take in the bottle. Hope it work's well for you!

Mummyclaire

thanks for the advise...i will try feeding him while he's lying down...but do u need to prop baby up with pillows? will they choke if they're drinking lying flat on the bed?

will also try the cup...see which method works..

Yup he's eating porridge now..but i'm afraid tat he's not getting enough nutrients and calcium if he doesn't drink milk...

sg81hani

i put a pillow under my daughter's head and wait till she's comfortable after the crying session. Sometimes it's easier if my hubby gives the bottle to her. Once she hears my voice or sees me, she'll reject the bottle.

brysonmum

thanks for the advise...i will try feeding him while he's lying down...but do you need to prop baby up with pillows? will they choke if they're drinking lying flat on the bed?

will also try the cup...see which method works..

Yup he's eating porridge now..but i'm afraid that he's not getting enough nutrients and calcium if he doesn't drink milk...

Ya, i experience the same.

My 6 mths old baby refused all bottle and insist to drink from breast directly. I have back to work already and everyday, i always pump BM at work also. Now i almost cant keep more EBM in friedge since baby consume EBM very less.

I know that my baby prefer to choose hunger and waiting for me back home and feed him.

So far, i dont have any solution and my care giver try to feed him milk from bottle frequently with 10 ml for every 15 min. This is also not a guarantee that he want to drink ... sigh ...

sg81hani

Ya, i experience the same.

My 6 mths old baby refused all bottle and insist to drink from breast directly. I have back to work already and everyday, i always pump breast milk at work also. Now i almost cant keep more EBM in friedge since baby consume EBM very less.

I know that my baby prefer to choose hunger and waiting for me back home and feed him.

So far, i dont have any solution and my care giver try to feed him milk from bottle frequently with 10 ml for every 15 min. This is also not a guarantee that he want to drink ... sigh ...
Really? My daughter too...after I post this, my daughter went back to her antics of not wanting the bottle :( I'm panicking cos i'm going back to work in 2 weeks time!!! I don;t want her to starve herself while waiting for me to get home. I'm teaching and i've got camps to attend at the end of the yr too... :eek::embarrassed:

JazN

My daughter same thing. Last time every time my mum feeds my daughter like someone "ill-treating" her. My mum will either feed her only when she's hungry or mum feeds & my dad will distract her with rattle, etc.

Now she don't drink any milk from bottle if I'm not around but is ok since substitute with her tea-break food, etc.

paperger85

Oh dear, I didn't know so many mummies have the same problem! Mummyclaire my girl is also 9 months old and she is also rejecting EBM by bottle. The thing is that my girl used to take EBM with no problems and it is only recently that she don't want to drink from the bottle and need to be spoonfed. I am going to try to change her bottle teats to latex ones to see if it works but it's so worrying!

brysonmum

Oh dear, I didn't know so many mummies have the same problem! Mummyclaire my girl is also 9 months old and she is also rejecting EBM by bottle. The thing is that my girl used to take EBM with no problems and it is only recently that she dont't want to drink from the bottle and need to be spoonfed. I am going to try to change her bottle teats to latex ones to see if it works but it's so worrying!
Please let me know if it works ... up to now, still cant get a solution to make my baby want to drink EBM from bottle. Thanks.

Please let me know if it works ... up to now, still cant get a solution to make my baby want to drink EBM from bottle. Thanks.
some babies reverse cycle, ie feed at night when mommy is around, but that should work itself out around one year of age. i stopped latching son on in the night when he was about 1 year old and immediately he started drinking normally in the day!
my daughter is starting to drink more from the bottle (not a lot but significant improvement - 100ml each time and she's already close to 9kg :s) What worked for her is when i changed the teat to one with more holes. not true that they will reject the breast - there are multiple outlet points from the nipple too so the flow shouldn't be slower/less than a teat with more holes ;)

sg81hani

some babies reverse cycle, ie feed at night when mommy is around, but that should work itself out around one year of age. i stopped latching son on in the night when he was about 1 year old and immediately he started drinking normally in the day!
my daughter is starting to drink more from the bottle (not a lot but significant improvement - 100ml each time and she's already close to 9kg :s) What worked for her is when i changed the teat to one with more holes. not true that they will reject the breast - there are multiple outlet points from the nipple too so the flow shouldn't be slower/less than a teat with more holes ;)
I'll give this a try!!

brysonmum

Thanks, i feel better knowing that after sometime baby can drinking normally but did your son refuse to drink EBM during day time before age 1 yr ? (so is it ok for baby just drinking milk at night only ?)
I have changed to more holes when my son reached 3 mths but it seems he still not interested at the bottle. I feel sad :(
My son used to like drinking EBM from bottle since i have trained him to drink EBM and direct breastmilk, it was working fine. He always drinks 120 ml for every 3 hrs and he can drink very fast.
But now, he simply refuse EBM as little as 10 ml ... sigh !!

Please advise .. anyone ??

Thanks, i feel better knowing that after sometime baby can drinking normally but did your son refuse to drink EBM during day time before age 1 yr ? (so is it ok for baby just drinking milk at night only ?)
I have changed to more holes when my son reached 3 mths but it seems he still not interested at the bottle. I feel sad :(
My son used to like drinking EBM from bottle since i have trained him to drink EBM and direct breastmilk, it was working fine. He always drinks 120 ml for every 3 hours and he can drink very fast.
But now, he simply refuse EBM as little as 10 ml ... sigh !!

Please advise .. anyone ??
how old is your baby? If he is also on solids, then don't worry too much since he will be getting nutrients from the other food he's eating. he still feeds a lot in the night i suppose? as long as he is still gaining weight, that is a good sign that he is getting enough. but i totally understand the predicament of having a full freezer. i had to borrow my mom's freezer space, give milk away to nephews (who didn't quite take to it since they were never breastfed) and then still had to throw out many packets... :( but when you look back at it in future, it's still worth all the work ;)

brysonmum

how old is your baby? If he is also on solids, then dont't worry too much since he will be getting nutrients from the other food he's eating. he still feeds a lot in the night i suppose? as long as he is still gaining weight, that is a good sign that he is getting enough. but i totally understand the predicament of having a full freezer. i had to borrow my mom's freezer space, give milk away to nephews (who didn't quite take to it since they were never breastfed) and then still had to throw out many packets... :( but when you look back at it in future, it's still worth all the work ;)
Thanks for your sharing, I think need to learn from you ... No need to worry too much as long as baby growing n happy!
My baby is 6m2w now,he has started to eat solid food already n he will drink a lot at night from breastfeed so I really cant have a quality sleep since having baby but I'm used to my new life style now (in fact,it pays off when I see baby smile at me n I feel that baby is trying to say thanks mum for your sacrifice, I love you). I like during bf time when his small cute eyes look at me ... It always be a wonderful time which I enjoy the most in my life !

Thanks for your sharing, I think need to learn from you ... No need to worry too much as long as baby growing n happy!
My baby is 6m2w now,he has started to eat solid food already n he will drink a lot at night from breastfeed so I really cant have a quality sleep since having baby but I'm used to my new life style now (in fact,it pays off when I see baby smile at me n I feel that baby is trying to say thanks mum for your sacrifice, I love you). I like during bf time when his small cute eyes look at me ... It always be a wonderful time which I enjoy the most in my life !
haha! yeah, i totally know what you mean about the cute eyes looking at mommy. mine will suckle for 10seconds, stop and look earnestly at me. i resist looking back but she will wait and wait and when i finally give in, she will reward me with the sweetest smile! ;p sometimes i wonder if i should follow advice in parenting books on training the baby to sleep through the night since it gets so tiring. but i then reason that they won't stay like this forever and if they are not ready, let's leave the crying in the night out of the room ;)

Mummy to Baby V

haha! yeah, i totally know what you mean about the cute eyes looking at mommy. mine will suckle for 10seconds, stop and look earnestly at me. i resist looking back but she will wait and wait and when i finally give in, she will reward me with the sweetest smile! ;p sometimes i wonder if i should follow advice in parenting books on training the baby to sleep through the night since it gets so tiring. but i then reason that they won't stay like this forever and if they are not ready, let's leave the crying in the night out of the room ;)
My boy is a fussy light sleeper and nursed frequently at night too, up to 10 times! We used gentle methods from Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry book and finally, at 18 months old, he just started sleeping through the night.

Babies do grow up one day! All the best! :)