Baby refuse to latch anymore :((

Gwynne

Hi mummies,

My baby girl is 5mo now and she recently just refused to latch on for bfing. I have been back to work for 1.5mths and I had no problem latching her after work usually. These few days she would scream when I wanna latch her. I feel so sad that the precious bonding session not there anymore. Any mummies had experienced same problem and how you handle this?

angelaong

When my DS was 7 months, one fine day he just suddenly refused to latch and screamed whenever i brought him near my breast. I kept trying at every feed and he just kept screaming.
I asked myself could it be the milk supply has gone down. After a week of trying to latch him and me crying for the entire week cause i felt so rejected, gave up trying and he took to the bottle and supplemented with partial formula. I was heartbroken but seeing him happier and sleeping better, i consoled myself saying 7 months of latching is already very good. (Till now he is 14 months old but i am still sad and miss the time)

Kanon

My baby girl stop bfeeding at only a month(all thanks to that evil con-lady)
Even though she still drinks bmilk after pumping...
How to re-introduce bfeeding?
Any advice?

unheardof

My baby girl also refused to latch, then I realised she has oral thrush, I felt rejected too...worst is, I still need her to establish the milk supply, it's low still. Sad.....

ast0212

It is normal for babies to go through periods of breast refusal. I've heard of some going on strike for a week! The best thing to do is keep offering breasts as well as pumping to keep up supply till baby gets over this. Lots of cuddle time with baby, topless if possible since sometimes the sight of nipples might entice them hahahh

sometimes it is an indicator of something else. Could your period be returning, or are you possibly pregnant? These hormonal changes will affect the taste of milk. Is baby in pain? Oral thrush, ear infection, etc? A visit to a chiropractor could help as well if nothing else could be found.

ast0212

Yes it is possible! It takes a lot of determination and work... Best to see a lactation consultant to guide and support you through it.

All the best!!

diza

Lots of cuddle time with baby, topless if possible since sometimes the sight of nipples might entice them hahahh
I have to agree to this! hahaha.. whenever I'm pumping, my son will keep staring at my breast and then he will chuckle to gain my attention coz he wants to latch!