baby sucking hands

pkshl

my ds is sucking his hands & fingers. i bought him teething toys but he doesnt seem interested, only love to suck his hands. what should i do?

diymummy

Hi pkshl, there're many types and textures of teething toys. I had to buy a few before my boy takes on to them. His favourite is the water filled ones coz it's soft, maybe it feels like his fingers. But it's normal for them to bite their fingers. Sometimes it's for comfort if they don't have pacifiers. It's also that they are exploring their fingers. I read that for babies, they explore new things by putting them in their mouths coz their taste buds are more sensitive than other sensory organs. My boy only stopped biting his fingers recently. He's almost 10mths now.

Juan

ya, my girl is going to six month this Sat, and whatever she crab she will just put to her mounth. And she loves to suck her fingers too!

apollo

dont wry.. ds also... no matter what teething toys or other toys we give him, he will just take a look and throw it aside then have his drumlets feast... hehe:tlaugh:

PinkDiamonds

Yes sometimes DD will make such suckling sounds it sounds SO DELICIOUS I feel like taking her hands and putting in my mouth too LOL

diymummy

My son also like that lohh... My hubby always say he eating "gai beh" (chicken drumstick in cantonese)...

sugarcookie

Most babies love sucking their fingers; it's their way of exploring the world.

I just let mine do it. I wash her hands occasionally though.

Oppsgal

Think is very normal. Mine 8 months still suck hands. Worst, keep scratching play mat puzzle then next minute put into mouth. Now the play mat puzzle got scratches like cats scratch there. :embarrassed:

PinkDiamonds

reginakoh: yes yes yes! sometimes she do it I feel very hungry hahaha.

diymummy: yah i always tell her, why u sek gai beh so nice to eat huh? Can u give mummy? LOL

Ros0818

mine too...
kept on sucking..
now, whenever she gets anything with her hands, she will put it inside her mouth & kept on biting..
oredi bought her teething toys & she sure loves it...
:wong19:

apollo

reginakoh: yes yes yes! sometimes she do it I feel very hungry hahaha.

diymummy: yah i always tell her, why you sek gai beh so nice to eat huh? Can you give mummy? LOL
Haha!!! u even ask her to givve u eat ahh?? ds will eat until his both hands super wet and dirty then slap on our faces!!!!! :tlaugh:

pokemon97

i'll let my son suck pacifier when we go out to prevent him from keep putting his hand into the mouth cos i'm worry his hand got germ when he touch everywhere and then still put his hand into the mouth.

november

Ya loh, my boy also suck till got very loud sound. Start with thumb then fingers and eventually both hands! Gave pacifier, but reject! prefer his hands.

Foxtrot

my baby boy also lurvvves to suck his thumbs. will suck until the skin become wrinkled still want to suck. when we pop the pacifier in, he'll push his thumbs underneath to suck. sometimes when i breastfeed, he'll also substitute halfway with him thumbs! I want to stop him also but seems inevitable. i'm just worried he'll be like my niece who's still suck thumb at 5 yrs old...

babylover

My girl is a thumb-sucker, but not an experienced one because she choke after awhile of suckling, everytime. She loves to put things into her mouth either, so what i do is observe and take her thumb out of her mouth immediately. I think somehow it works because I can see she seldom suck thumb nowadays.

By the way, she did suckle her toe too.. :))

Ting

its normal for kids to be like tt.
but pin was more of a biting objects rather than her own fingers more of a baby. unless she cant find other things to munch~~