Baby Underweight

paradize

Hi MOMS,

I am 28 weeks and 5 days now and just had my Ultrasound Scan ystdy and KK Hospital Doctor told me that my baby boy is underweight. I was sad and didnt take down the exact weight of my baby. Doctor also told me that the baby is healthy and coming to an anterior position.

I am going to a scan in 2 weeks time for a more comprehensive scan as advised by the doctors to check the reason on why the baby is underweight. I am naturally underweight too. I am 44kg and 160cm in height.

Anyone had this kind of problems before where your baby has been underweight?

Best Regards
Mrs Chandran
:Dancing_wub:

I also did a research on the net and found out that the below reasons may be a contributory factor for fetal undergrowth:
1. Alcohol and Smoke - I and my hubby do not smoke or drink
2. Painkillers and drugs like cocaine - To my knowledge I did not take this medications during my pregnancy periods. I used to take painkillers before my pregnancy period when I had painful menses.
3. Lack of education and prenatal care - I believe that I am reading enough books for knowledge and being under the care of a Gynae to give me the right vitamin supplements.
4. Diabetes - I and my hubby have no diabetes
5.High Blood Pressure - I and my hubby have no diabetes
6.Genetic Factors
7.Heart and circulatory abnormalities in the fetus umbilical cord.
8.Improper nurtrition of the mother.
9.Infections such as cytomegalovirus,rubella and toxoplasmosis.
10. Multiple pregnancies.
11. Placenta factors and uterine and placenta problems.

The Doctor in KK is concerned for Pointer No.11 and this is why he wants to do a scan to confirm this.

mommymin

hi!

i started off with 41kg at 163cm, so im even more underweight than you.

im in my 37 wks and my baby weighs 2.4 kg, so she's not underweight. it might be cos i drink those maternity milk powder every single day since i knew i was preg. if you're not doing that now it might be gd to start, cos it's very nutritious.

as for now dont get too worried. after all you're only at 28 wks so your baby still has lots of time to grow! =)

mommymin

that's the one im drinking too. do drink 2 glasses every day! although i only drink 1 glass. =X my appetite was not too gd these days and my weight did not increase at all after 1 wk. so it has alot to do with our diet. do eat more!

hpc

Hi mummies -to-be u all can try drinking chicken soup every 2 days.Soup can be double boil,can add some herbs if want to.My sis also have the same problem when she is about 24 wks.I double boil chicken soup 4 her till 37wks ,baby birth weight was 3.35kg.

PTB7476

eating durian is not the correct way to increase BB weight cos those are sugar ... we need to eat things that is good for BB and ourselve and not stuff ourselve with durian just so that the BB can reach the ideal weight

apollo

eating durian is not the correct way to increase baby weight cos those are sugar ... we need to eat things that is good for baby and ourselve and not stuff ourselve with durian just so that the baby can reach the ideal weight
precisely! as durian has high level of sugar! of cos, preg mummies can take durians when they have the craving, take in moderation but not having the intention of just wanna to make tt bb heavier.

Paradize, i think u shd get more info from ur gynae and ask him is it ok for ur bb to be underweight. if not, ask him is there any better, safer or healthier ways to gain bb's weight. actu i feel tt as long as the bb is healthy, shd be ok =)

minako85

I'm nt saying to stuff urself w durian to gain baby weight. But eating it once a mth is ok n it does help abit...

you can try eat durians!
Strongly agree...My wife also take durian near deliver as craving for both mummy and daddy + my area 24/7 got durian season. My baby born 2.6kg++ and no worry, baby grow fast...now my girl who is 8month plus already gaining weight fast. And she lovesss... durian. Of coz, eat everything moderate. Eat heaty durian must come with cooling stuff too. Happy Delivery.

paradize

Gynae in KK is going to do a scan on 070910 to check why the baby is too small. So lets see whats the problem.
Gynae also advised that all other things are fine.

Durians, maybe can give it a try..
:Dancing_tongue:

christine77sg

Whn I did my detailed scan, I was diagnosed with narrow blood vessel which MAY cause hindrance in blood passing to the uterus and affect the growth of the baby. I was advised to take aspirin which will thin the blood n improve on the blood flow.

Did u hv any special thing to note during detail scanning?

Gynae in KK is going to do a scan on 070910 to check why the baby is too small. So lets see whats the problem.
Gynae also advised that all other things are fine.

Durians, maybe can give it a try..
:Dancing_tongue:
hi hi, my baby was also screened to be small and it was worrying since i was losing weight throughout the pregnancy. Scan showed placenta was normal so it was just that baby wasn't growing very much by about 30+weeks. tried durians and chocolates and not sure how effective those were. just had to monitor very regularly with ECGs done to make sure baby was still doing well. she came out early at 35weeks and a little small - 2.19kg but was otherwise very healthy and could go to normal nursery and was home with me after 2 days :) she's now 7 months and almost 9kg. hope the scan tomorrow will turn out well :)