Baby with Reflux problem

Snowpea

Anyone has babies with reflux problem. Milk comes out from my baby even with the slightest movement from herself and sometimes vomit out milk. My doc has suggested giving her anti vomit medication before her feed, but i am not keen on giving medicine on regular basis.

Any mummies out there, having some problem?

apollo

ds had reflux before. same as u, i wasnt keen in giving him med, but what to do? giving him med at least can stop abit of vomiting cos too much of vomiting is not good for them. he was given med for 7 days but he did not improve but worsened and was admitted to hospital for few days. and the med pd gave was not on long term basis, he took for a few weeks aft tt rely on Friso Comfort FM which is thicker, to prevent him from keep vomiting. u can ask ur pd whether ur baby can change FM to Friso Comfort or Enfalac AR anot. And after every feeds, try to let ur baby lie abnit upright, like 45degrees up for at least 30min. Change the diaper BEFORE milk and not after, unless she poo.

banner82

I'm having the same problem. What i do:

1) Prop him in upright position during feeding ( more than 45 degree angle) so that milk will go down his digestive tract faster.
2) after each feeding, hold him upright with his face pillowing my breast for at least 30 mins to 1 hr. same logic as pt 1
3) Smaller and frequent feeding, i.e. instead of 3 hourly feeding, i feed him 2 hrly and halved his usual volume
4) alternatively, as advised by pd, thicken his milk with "thick and easy" powder but i never try it because i think it will make my son feel fully easily.

Hope the above helps.

P.S I agree with Apollo, change the diaper before feeding otherwise the milk will flow back up when we lift up their legs.

Last edited:

Snowpea

Thanks mummies for your suggestions.

Thinking of changing formula milk to AR Enfalac as she is currently taking the same brand of milk except its not AR. Checking with my doc on this. As for putting my girl on upright position, higher pillows, she loves to move and has tendency of moving out of the pillow with her head moving upwards and off the pillow she comes. My gal loves to move, the only way, i guess is to hold her upright like what you have suggested, pillowing my breast.

Snowpea

I think it depends on individual babies, how mature is their stomach muscles. It may take up to a year, my pedi says. Just have to keep trying all ways to minimise reflux.

apollo

most reflux pro will gets better from 4mths onwards or when the baby starts semi solid at abt 6mth old. but if the reflux pro is very serious, baby merlion few times per day, better bring to pd =)

Last edited:

shespice

Hi,
Any mommies find it a little more difficult to breastfeed a reflux baby? Would it be more helpful if we express the milk and feed in the bottle?
My baby seems to be struggling at the breast, arms, legs, body all keep moving while trying to feed. And sometimes during feed she spits out so I thought she could be full already but she cries and looks for the breast again....
A bit lost at times on how to help baby to be comfortable....poor baby :(
Thanks for any suggestions or advice that some of you mommies may have exprienced.
By the way, baby is 2 months.

banner82

Hi,
Any mommies find it a little more difficult to breastfeed a reflux baby? Would it be more helpful if we express the milk and feed in the bottle?
My baby seems to be struggling at the breast, arms, legs, body all keep moving while trying to feed. And sometimes during feed she spits out so I thought she could be full already but she cries and looks for the breast again....
A bit lost at times on how to help baby to be comfortable....poor baby :(
Thanks for any suggestions or advice that some of you mommies may have exprienced.
By the way, baby is 2 months.
Same situation as my little boy. He always struggle at the breast for 1 hour and yet he was hungry. So i gave up and bottle feed him with EBM. He will drink the whole bottle within 15 mins. After about 2 mths i tried to direct latch him again and he refused. He has already gotten used to the bottle. I gave up too easily. So shespice, you have to persever and continue BF her. You could try burping her during mid-feed.

Last edited:

shespice

Same situation as my little boy. He always struggle at the breast for 1 hour and yet he was hungry. So i gave up and bottle feed him with EBM. He will drink the whole bottle within 15 mins. After about 2 mths i tried to direct latch him again and he refused. He has already gotten used to the bottle. I gave up too easily. So shespice, you have to persever and continue BF her. You could try burping her during mid-feed.
oh, thanks so much for your encouragement! yes, i will still continue to latch on. just that i wasn't sure whether i am doing the right thing coz she looks so uncomfortable at times and so trying to find another way to help in the situation. Is you baby better now at 3 months? :). Guess for the time being i just have to be patient and wait for her to outgrow it.

Sunnaline

Hi Mommies out there, i am new to this... my baby boy is 10 months old tomorrow.. he had silent reflux when he was about 3 months old so the pediatrician gave him Motilium and Zantac for 4 months... n he was better but just today he threw up twice ): i am worried because his weight gain is so slow, n just this week he lost 200g, he was 7.8kg last week n this week only 7.6kg.. are there any of ur babies who doesnt weigh so much also?? the peds said he should be 9kg by 1 year cuz he was 2.94kg when he was born but i donno what else to do to make him gain more weight... but he's super active n both me n my hubby r skinny, do u thin it plays a role?? pls help!!