Bad Constipation

whoami

Mummies,

I need help urgently...

I have a 14months ger and notice that she has problem passing motion. Everytime she pass motion she will cry. When I peep inside her diaper, notice that her stool are quite hard and there is blood stain in the stool.

At first I thought could be the formula milk tat is causing all the problem, but now, even with the changing of FM (now taking Nespray 1+ w/ honey), the constipation still happen.

It is so pain for me to see my ger cry everytime she pass motion. And she will have to squeeze so hard that her whole face turn red + bending her body to 90 degree ...

Brought her to see doc, and after taking the medi, the stool did soften. But once stop, the stool becomes hard again. But we can't possibly keep depending on medi right?

I gave her Heinz fruit juice, but doen't seem to work. Tried to give her barley, but she doesn't like the taste. I am at my wits now.

Can someone please advise me what I can do? I am afraid if this is to go on, my ger might have phobia in passing motion!

FYI ... this has happen for more than 6 months ... it just doesn't seems to improve ... :wecry:

yuki

when my gal turned 6mths previously...she had tis problem i dunno whether its due to change of milk or she started solid...the stool jus stuck at the anus...then i gave her heinz yogurt after she had her breakfast everday ,evening i will let her drink heinz food juice...she took fruits after lunch daily as usual..after a wks plus..her stool had been soft ..she drank lot of water in fact.... after that when her stools go back to normal i have cut down the yogurt, but food juice i still give as usual. I still think its up to individual bbs...let her try out for a couple of wks to see changes... i suggest u gave her less biscuits too.

whoami

when my gal turned 6mths previously...she had tis problem i dunno whether its due to change of milk or she started solid...the stool jus stuck at the anus...then i gave her heinz yogurt after she had her breakfast everday ,evening i will let her drink heinz food juice...she took fruits after lunch daily as usual..after a wks plus..her stool had been soft ..she drank lot of water in fact.... after that when her stools go back to normal i have cut down the yogurt, but food juice i still give as usual. I still think its up to individual bbs...let her try out for a couple of wks to see changes... i suggest u gave her less biscuits too.
Hi yuki

Can i check with you, what type of fruits do u give your dotter? Cos i only know can give papaya ...

naze

I give my DD almost any fruits unless those heaty & she doesnt like. Must also let her drink water.

LayKwan

HI,

Prune juice.. Oat's with Prune, Honey with water, fruits puree.. banana might not improve the constipation for some baby..

My gal also have the same problem, so I increase her vege in her porridge and also change the cereal to oats with prunes.

maine78

whoami, my ds also having the same problem since he's 6mths. His stools always hard n 90% got blood in his stools. Fruit juice, prune juice n barley dun work for him. He drink ard 150ml of water daily, hving oats w prune cereal every morning and veggies for every meal but still hving hard stools with blood. My ds used to love fruits like papaya, honeydew and grapes but ever since he had high fever for a week 2mths ago, he had been rejecting fruits.. I'm still trying to make him eat fruits. However, i dun think the nil intake of fruits is causing this coz he still hving hard stools tat time when taking alot of fruits. Now I just try to give more water n fruit juice and encourage him to poo if he din't poo for 2days.

ringocat

Try sweet potatoes, suppose to help in passing motion. Just steam it & feed. Or try another brand of milk formula - Friso. This brand is very easily digest, read somewhere that it is very close to breast milk.

My boy has been on it since birth & never had constipation problem (he is 6yrs old now). I tried to gave my gal after I stopped her breast milk but it was not suitable for her. She will have very soft stool after every milk feed, & she was drinking about 8 -10 feeds a day at that time. I cleaned her butt till all red & diapers ran out like no need money ;P. I didn't know it was the FM that was causing the loose stools, but I dun know what else to do. So I thought I'll switch to see if it helps. After switching to Dumex, the frequency of her passing motion was down to only once a day within 5 days. So I concluded that Friso is too easily disgest for her tummy.

Maybe you can try Friso :)

yuki

whoami,
u need a wk or more to see changes...i meant regular soft stool.....when changing her diet....so be patient..
maine78,
i think yr bb is drinking too little water lei.....usually if the urine is clear in color(tis is wat the doc told me) , and stool is hard, it means water intake not enuff, not heaty.

priscilla

Babies taking formula needs to be given more water, fruits and vegtable. Yogurt and prune juice can also help to prevent constipation.

maine78

today, my ds got such big and hard stool tat his anus tear when he poo and there's a lot of blood. Give him lotsa water, prune juice, veg also like this. I really v heartpain coz he's crying badly when he poo.

Last week, i took him for his vaccine and told the pd about his constipation problem. He told me last resort is to give him this "good-bacteria" medicine which is supposed to trigger his intestines and will help him. Anyone heard of this before?

maine78

neber heard b4, how yr ds daily meals like, mayb we can see if yr ds's meal affecting his stool..
He's taking 120ml prune oats/brown rice cereal in the morning daily. Lunch and dinner will be porriage with fish/chicken/egg and i'll definitely add mashed spinach/brocolli/veg in his porriage. After tat will give fruits like papaya/watermelon/honeydew (he only like this 3fruits, the rest he will spit out). He's drinking 3x milk (mamil). I make sure he drink 160-180ml of plain water daily and sometimes i'll add with those bb bottle apple and prune juice. I'll give barley water 1-2x a month.

I've already increased his veg/fruits and water intake and still his constipation persists. Or izzit the milk tat he's taking? He used to drink nan but after change to nan3, he dun like to drink milk so i've just change to mamil 2wks ago My mum told me maybe my ds body by nature v heaty.

LayKwan

He's taking 120ml prune oats/brown rice cereal in the morning daily. Lunch and dinner will be porriage with fish/chicken/egg and i'll definitely add mashed spinach/brocolli/veg in his porriage. After tat will give fruits like papaya/watermelon/honeydew (he only like this 3fruits, the rest he will spit out). He's drinking 3x milk (mamil). I make sure he drink 160-180ml of plain water daily and sometimes i'll add with those bb bottle apple and prune juice. I'll give barley water 1-2x a month.

I've already increased his veg/fruits and water intake and still his constipation persists. Or izzit the milk tat he's taking? He used to drink nan but after change to nan3, he dun like to drink milk so i've just change to mamil 2wks ago My mum told me maybe my ds body by nature v heaty.
I will suggest you replace the brown rice cereal with others, may be oats. Brown rice and cereal will cause constipation. My gals is 15 months old and she will have bad constipation if I feed her cereal more than once a day. Also, your d's water sonsumption of 160 - 180 ml seems low.. u might want to increase.. also try yoguart from Heinz which is quite good for my gal.

shopaholic

My dd had constipation since she was 3yo or so (now coming 5yo). Change of FM didnt help, and giving lots of fruits/prune didnt help much too. We werent too comfy to rely on medication but we do standby some at home in case it gets too bad. We also standby some enema for some serious constipation to help clear her "system".

Now, we just religiously give her lots of water and we're happy if she clears her bowel once every few days. For dd's case, she doesnt feel pain to pass motion and seems perfectly alright when she does it. No stains of blood too. PD told us not to be too worried and unless it's beyond a week and stool softener doesnt help, then will consider to administer enema.

yuki

i think u may wan to change yr breakfast, to mayb bread and yogurt, brown rice is heaty, actually the rest of the food u gave shouldnt cause any constipation problem. quite a huge amt of fluid given too ..but brown rice and FM definitely is the cause...but diff bb react to these food differently.....

happymum

Hi Shopaholic,

My dd also have this constipation problem. his problem worsen after having a high fever for 8 days recently. He can go for 4 days without clearing his system. I am quite worried abt that. he is 2 years old now. I use enema to clear his bowels if he did not poo for 4 days. recently use alot. within 2.5 weeks, use 4 enema already. what's your guideline for using enema? how many days of constipation before you use enema? what kind of medication do you give in times of bad constipation? how many days is consider really bad constipation?

I tried to simulate him to poo as in asking if he wants a poo but no avail leh.

very desperate now. dun like the idea of using too much enema but no choice.

Bieffe

BB is 2+yrs and always constipated. Tried Similax, then enfa....still stuck. Have been using Fleet Enzama daily!
Sometimes after ezema also nothing. COnsulted PD and intestine doctor...ocassionally they will dig my son.
Usually the poo is yellow and like ceral so I dunno why he does not poo. Maybe is painful.
Also his backside is "rotting" open wounds here and there.....healed before but thanks to my folks recently....let is stay alittle longer....he got it again....how u all solve ur problem?
Ya so time I'm so upset I cry!

yoki26

hi mummies,
my gal sometimes will experience constipation too and very upset to see her crying badly trying to pass motion. I have tried feed her with fruit juice, banana and alot of water but no use.

Well, i guess some babies react to different food. Some ppl cant feed bb with brown rice as they say its heaty but for me i tried recently and it works but i bought those powder form from NTUC which include Shi Sen Fen.

Besides Brown rice, oso tried the Japanese Sweet Potatoes and Yogurt.

Addition to that, can do some stomach massage for babies :)

Last edited: