Banking of cord blood

bingbing

i donated dear son's cord blood to the public. =)
Hi all,

What does it mean when we say donate to the public.Can i understand more? Does it mean that other children who has needs it can have it if it matches? in fact the private bank is very very expensive on their charges.

apollo

Hi all,

What does it mean when we say donate to the public.Can i understand more? Does it mean that other children who has needs it can have it if it matches? in fact the private bank is very very expensive on their charges.
yes. means if anyone needs the cord blood and ur baby's one suits them, they will let the person use. actu i donated it but aft tt they told me my bb's cord blood cannot be stored. usually due to a few reason, the person told me most likely is 'not enough' to be stored..

i donated it cos so far there is no family history of and blood disease. =)

On the day of labour, they will have to draw blood from you for testing if you donate to the public bank, 26ml, tat was what i was told..
not very comfortable at the tot of that thou..: )

angelwendy

On the day of labour, they will have to draw blood from you for testing if you donate to the public bank, 26ml, that was what i was told..
not very comfortable at the thought of that thou..: )

Actually.. they will draw just a little for test... & when u deliver... they will draw the cord blood from the cord... u wont feel anything... dont worry... I donated mine... to the public... because can help others... why not??

bb2010

Actually.. they will draw just a little for test... & when you deliver... they will draw the cord blood from the cord... you wont feel anything... dont worry... I donated mine... to the public... because can help others... why not??
Hi

Can i check with when should we inform SCBB say we willing to donate the cord blood to them?

apollo

Hi

Can i check with when should we inform SCBB say we willing to donate the cord blood to them?
i told my gynae's nurse and she gave me a lady's contact. the lady is from SCBB. i just called her and make arrangement to meet her and sign all the papers. mine was quite rush cos i only call her abt 2 weeks b4 i deliver. =)

happybaby

I just signed the consent form yesterday and made the decision to do public donation. Help others and help yourself. Rushed also as my edd is next week... Very efficient and friendly. They will explained the havesting and testing process to you. You can visit www.scbb.com.sg for more info.

apollo

I just signed the consent form yesterday and made the decision to do public donation. Help others and help yourself. Rushed also as my edd is next week... Very efficient and friendly. They will explained the havesting and testing process to you. You can visit www.scbb.com.sg for more info.
yes! the lady also explained very thoroughly with me and went thru all the impt points with me b4 i sign the consent forms. and when i call her to confirm some details with her, she is very helpful and frenly also.

bb2010

i told my gynae's nurse and she gave me a lady's contact. the lady is from SCBB. i just called her and make arrangement to meet her and sign all the papers. mine was quite rush cos i only call her about 2 weeks before i deliver. =)

Thanks for your info. the lady ctc # still with you now? Can you give me the #? thank ya..

Justina

i stored my son's cord blood privately. yes, it is expensive but it is like buying insurance against 70 over diseases. we pay annually until Elden reaches 21 and it is up to him on whether he wishes to continue storing.

if i recall correctly, the chances of matches are like 100% for him, 50% for sibling, 25% for parents, and lesser for grandparents.

we had a friend whose daugther has blood cancer and we tried to enquire on the procedure to donate it. they will actually take Elden's blood first before they touch the cord blood.

hope this helps.

TeenyWeeny

I've stored my second daughter's cord blood privately. Bought the 21yrs package from cordlife for S$5k plus. U can pay wif ur child's CDA.

dapheng

if im not wrong, if you donate your cordblood to public, is much more expensive if you need to retrieve it. private cordblood bank i think got cordlife and stemcord.

fangying

Hi mummies and daddies who might be interested! :) there is a Pregnancy Workshop that is taking place this Saturday (25th Sept) at Traders Hotel Singapore from 10am-5pm! It includes Cord Blood Banking Consultation too for those interested in learning more about cord blood banking But the seminar also includes highlights such has handling emergencies and breastfeeding the right way Best of all? There is free entry with gynae appointment card! Hee. This is organized by CordLife, one of the private cord blood banks in sg.

In addition, there is a cord blood banking seminar also a BabyTalk organized by CordLife on 2nd oct (sat) at raffles convention centre, with one-to-one cord blood banking consultation too. You can head over to wwww.cordlife.com/babytalk to register or call 6238-0808 for more info :eek:)

Hope this helps in your decision! :Dancing_wub: