Barley water

annie

like that ah.. or can i simply leave in rm temp after taking out from fridge? or best way is to give her the rm temp barley(after cool) n then let her finish it within 8hrs?

redjn

I normally dont do that, I believe after taking it out fm fridge & leave in Rm temp may contaminate the drink will bacteria so best is freshly boil, leave it Rm temp & consume within the same day.

annie

ok noted. i also worry bout bacteria infection hehe. so next time i boil i shall leave it to cool in rm temp n then serve her the cooled barley water throughout the day then. keep the rest inside fridge for me n hubby haha. thanks!

redjn

I dunno how true it is that we not suspose to give barley water to kid daily when they were too young scare they "lao Sai" b'cos it is too cooling fot them. if u really want to give them the most twice a week, it should be save then.

annie

btw, any idea is the amt of barley to the amt of water is impt? or it dosent matter at all? my mum say she dun really care how much water n how much barley she puts in.. she agar agar is 1 tablespoon of barley per cup...

redjn

i also dun really bother about the water... hehe i also agar agar. If I were to boil half the pack of the barley I will put in a full pot of water which i believe it should be about 2.5 litres. This also have to depend on your prefer, thick / thin & adjust the water level. U can follow your mum standard should be ok.

annie

oh okok thanks redjn. i tried yesterday. i put about 3 tablespoon of barley then add 500ml of water(half of my pot) then boil.. not bad! hehe. my girl seems to love barley water! i give it to her in her sippy.. put it full.. then she finish it in mins! lol

anyway i realise in japan they also pratice giving barley to bb n of cos adults too. but theirs is barley tea without caffaine. not barley water.. looks just like tea though. brown colour de.. it is said to be able to give to bb since 1mths old! they sell in supermarkets n those bb sections lol. dunno wats the diff but i still prefer to give the barley water cos the word 'tea' dosent sound very nice to give bb lol

redjn

O that barley water .... I used to drank that it is a very good & healthy drink for adult & children. all i know jpnese like to take that like water especially when the drink is chilled. U must be wondering how i know.... hehe... i like all jap stuff.... over at SIN, i normally buy them in jap supermarket (abt $5 - 30sachets) but now I buy them fm Daiso Supermarket so much cheaper ($2 - 30 sachets) anyway, this barley is diff fm chinese barley, this type i knew helps lower blood LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) & stabilize blood glucose levels, which may benefit people with diabetes.

by the way I hope u also know that there are 2 type of chinese barley
this one is china barley.
this type is pearl barley

annie

hmm so is the japanes barley better in that case?

i bought 2 types but that shops sells more than 2...

redjn

basically taste very diff, chinese barley is easy better taste, the jap barley taste like very very diluated coffee with no sugar (that my feels to the taste), have u tasted them. So far for my family only myself & hubby is able to accept the taste, my mum said it tasted horrible...

annie

really? lol ive never tasted them before.. never buy.. they sell in supermarket for adults n those bb sections for bb.. in a bottle.. wonder if they taste the same or wat.. hehe

redjn

I dont think you will like the taste, it takes me awhile before I can take it :)

before i 4get, found this online just now

How to cook barley:

Cooking barley is similar to cooking rice. Cover 1 cup of pearl barley with 2 cups of water or vegetable broth and simmer for 30-40 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Or, try using a rice cooker. Add 2 1/2 cups water per cup of barley.

another one :

http://food-4tots.com/2009/05/27/barley-drink/

Last edited:

redjn

yes but of course u can choose not to eat it just drink the water also can. I just posted a barley dessert recipe, u can check-out & cook for your family