Bedtime..

woofy55

Is there a "recommended" bedtime for babies, ie. 4mths old? Nowadays, Louis will be asleep before/by 8pm (evening feed was abt 6pm - 180ml during day). Normally will wake him up for feed at 9pm then 12mn for last feed. Both of which was actually dream feed cos he will still be sleepy at 9pm and he will feed and go back to sleep rather quickly. At 12mn, another dreamfeed cos we are hoping that we will see him next morning at least 6am. For 9 and 12mn - normally he couldn't finish 180ml, he will take abt 100ml or so.

However, he always wakes up around 4am or so. :( And most of the time he drank 140ml or so and sometimes won't go back to sleep. :( seems like he had slept enuff. So my qns is.. babies slept thru 5 hrs is consider "slept thru the nite" - has he already slept thru, since 8pm.....? cos he's kept sleeping, only that we pump him with milk while he is zzz..

Today, his evening feed was 5.30pm + MIL feed him 180ml+1tsp of rice cereal. He slept at 7.30pm. And I also fell asleep and thinking of feeding him at 9pm again. To my atonishment, i overslept and hubby also let him slept thru... he wakes up from hunger (i think) at 11pm! But he only drank 80ml. :( MIL told me daytime today he only drank 3x milk instead of 4x cos he overslept in the morning... (cos he wakes up from 4.30am until 7+am when we bring him to her) I think i'll see him at 3am today.... seems like he didn't reach his "quota" today.

Mummies, Should I move back his bedtime? Should I wake him up instead of dream feed at 9pm... so he won't sleep so long stretch... and hopefully leave the long stretch to the midnites...? But he's so sleepy at 9pm feed... and i normally feed him in dim environment. Am I doing the right thing? Should I wake him up completely?

camom

Actually there's no recommended bedtime, just a guideline for how much sleep for what age :)

How much sleep does your child need? | BabyCenter

According to the chart, Louis needs a total of 14.25 - 15 hours of sleep at the age between 3-6 mths.

I remembered my son sleeping from 5+pm up to 3+ mths old. After I went back towork when he turned 4 mths old, his bedtime got pushed back to 7+pm.

What does he do when he wakes up in the early mornings? What do you and hubby do? What I did to "encourage" him to go back to sleep is to do nothing after feeding him. I fed him with the lights off. I don't even talk to him when I fed him at these times. It's latch on and I go back to sleep. He'd unlatch, turn over and sleep when he was full.

diymummy

How much is Louis drinking in the day before 8pm?

If he is drinking enough in the day, you should just let him sleep thru, ie don't wake him for 9pm and midnight.

That's what I did for my son. He sleeps from 8pm or 9pm all the way to 7am or 8am. Sometimes he will wake up earlier. Then I will usually let him cry a while before attending to him to make sure that he's really hungry and not coz he woke up from a dream or whatever else.

meiteoh

You can try it out for a day and see how it goes - removing the 9pm dreamfeed. I was told that for smaller babies or babies who can't be fed on demand, that during the day, feed them on a schedule but at night go on demand. At four months, you can stretch each feed to 3.5 hours during the day and at night, just stretch to four hours and see how it goes.

In my case, Eva was on a schedule during the day and at night, I'd feed her once at 7pm and another time at around 11pm, then another at 3pm and the last one at around 6am. That was because at 4 months old, she was what docs call a distractable baby and would refuse to nurse for more than a minute or two during the day. So at night was the only time I could pump her with milk.

When her distractable baby spells were over, I cut out the 230am feed. Only last week did I cut out the 1130pm feed. Do note that she has been sleeping through since she was two months old and her schedule has always been the same at night - after eating at 7pm, she takes a nice longggg bath and is always in bed by 8-830pm. She'll wake up the next morning at 830pm.

If I compare her to the Babycenter chart, she's definitely taking two naps during the day but sleeping more overall! :p

Ting

how long does he nap in the day???
it will also affect his slp at night.
i think u can remove the 8pm feed n see how things goes.

AugBoyz

Sleep thru the nite means baby sleep for straight 8hrs or more.

I used Baby Whisperer's method so son is in bed by 7.30 with his tank up feed at the same time. 11pm dream feed, next morning 7am for his 1st milk.

shiyi

last nite my bb slept from 10pm to this morning 6am! omg is this normal? shes only 2mths +

diymummy

last nite my baby slept from 10pm to this morning 6am! omg is this normal? shes only 2mths +
You're one of the lucky ones.

Please ensure that your baby is fed enough in the day if you allow her to sleep through.

woofy55

woah.. shiyi.. u are really one of the lucky ones.. zzz

ok.. we have tried taking away the 9pm feed these 3 days, including tonite. 1st nite, he wakes at 12plus for feed.. then 4.30am... last nite.. he didn't wake at all, my hubby woke up to dream feed him at 3am and he wakes at 6am for bf... hmmm... let's see what happens tonite.. i told hubby not to wake him and see his limit... :p ...

jasobias

wah i am so envious!! all babies sleep so long!!Mine still 2-3 hr milk feeds throughout the day n nite!!

hi mummies...
here is my story.....
my son is now 9 month +. his 1st feed is at 10.30 to 11am which is rice with veg cerelac or rice with chicken cerelac...those nestle ones. than by 12.30 he wants the afternoon nap. so try i try to drag it to 1 than make him sleep by giving him 3 oz milk. than he wakes up after two hrs.

the nxt feed is at 2.30 to 3. than he will play with his walker or lie on the ground or i put him infront of the comp with some baby songs. so he will play and wants another sleep at 5.30 to 6. so give him another 3 oz or 4 oz milk. than he will wake up at 8pm. than i want him to be tired and more hungry so that after the last feed he will go to bed with me.

so his last solid feeding is at 9pm. than he will play and so on... at abt 11 he wants to sleep. so with 3 to 4oz milk he will go to bed. than at 3am i dream feed him otherwise he will wake up of hunger. i give him 4 oz milk... he dnt take 5 oz milk during dream feed. i dnt knw why. than another dream feed is at 6+ ya 7am. than he wake up at 9.30 or 10... really depends on him....

i am a self employed mother. we have a warehouse to take care of. so sometime my mother goes and i stay at home. and if she stay at home she follow this too. so thats why we sleep lat and wake up late.. so my son also got use to it...

the bad news is tht he dnt sleep through night...he wakes every now and than by crying in dream... i dnt knw wht to do for tht. coz he got scared and sometimes he wakes up frm sleep...